Easy Bookshelf

Spam!!
Calis

Re: Easy Bookshelf

Post by Calis »

Raymond E Feist -- Several trilogys but the first Book Magician in particular ,any other book in the world ever is not worthy.
Robert Jordan -- 12 or 13 books in a series that never drops in quality.
Terry Pratchett -- particularly the earlier books.

And in case you have seen the film but not read the graphic novel...Watchmen its a masterpiece.

And any other book really ,just read its epic.
"Smoke me a kipper skipper ill be back for breakfast"
Mehetabel

Post by Mehetabel »

The final book (Light) in Michael Grant's "Gone" series (that I mentioned on page 1 here) arrived in the post this week! Storm got her paws on it before I could even look at it but thankfully she finished in 2 days flat so now it is all MINE! /happydance

I'm also on the lookout for some good werewolf books (seem to have exhausted my supply) so if anyone has any suggestions I would muchly appreciate it!
Yca

Post by Yca »

Haven't encountered many werewolf books either, but I'd be interested in reading some as well. They sound fun!
Moolly

Post by Moolly »

The Dresden file books have werewolves in them :)

Moolls
Yca

Post by Yca »

A few days ago Percy Jackson and the Olympians series has been recommended to me. I've looked it up a bit and it does seem interesting, but I was wondering if any of you read it and what you think about it :)
Moolly

Post by Moolly »

I have read them all. It's a kids series but it's really funny and well written.

Moolls
Mehetabel

Post by Mehetabel »

Yca wrote:A few days ago Percy Jackson and the Olympians series has been recommended to me. I've looked it up a bit and it does seem interesting, but I was wondering if any of you read it and what you think about it :)
I haven't read them but Storm read the first in the series. Says she enjoyed it but it wasn't blown-away kind of awesome. She didn't carry on with the series in the end I don't think. I keep meaning to try it myself though as I do love the idea of it.
Mehetabel

Post by Mehetabel »

I started re-reading one of my all time favourite series the other day so thought I'd mention it here.

It's the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon.

The author puts a HUGE amount of time and effort into having these historically accurate and they are, in effect, a history lesson through Scotland's and then America's fight for freedom, wrapped around a group of characters that are so well created that you know and love them within pages of first meeting them. The general premise is about an English woman in the 1940's who, while investigating a stone circle in Scotland, finds herself transported back in time 200 years to 1740's Scotland. The series doesn't only span 200 years of history but also a good 30 years in the life of the characters.

Chronological order, so far, is:

Outlander/Cross Stitch (the first book is published under different names in Europe and the US - here it is "Cross Stitch" but there it's "Outlander", no idea why)
Dragonfly in Amber
Voyager
Drums of Autumn
The Fiery Cross
A Breath of Snow and Ashes
An Echo in the Bone
Written in My Own Heart's Blood (released soon)

Those are just the novels, there are also numerous short stories and novella that are set inbetween the books. Not neccessary to the storyline but they do "flesh" it out even more. http://www.dianagabaldon.com/books/chro ... er-series/

Oh and lastly, the books have recently been optioned for a TV show, to begin filming in Scotland in September and shown next spring. The fans are getting a bit rabid currently and I almost felt sorry for the poor actor who has been cast as the male lead but the author considers him perfection as far as her beloved character is concerned so that definately bodes well for the TV series. I'm more than a little excited. :lol:
Caireann

Post by Caireann »

By the way, I have noticed some Easians have signed up for the goodreads.com portal... anyone else is there? It would be fun to share reviews and recommendations with more bookworms around ;)

My account is >>here<< if anyone wants to add me :)
Yca

Post by Yca »

Caireann wrote:By the way, I have noticed some Easians have signed up for the goodreads.com portal... anyone else is there? It would be fun to share reviews and recommendations with more bookworms around ;)

My account is >>here<< if anyone wants to add me :)
Goodreads is an amazing place for book reviews, groups, finding books by genre, etc. I already have you Caire :D
If anyone wants to add me, I'm >>here<< as well (um...where do you find your profile on Goodreads Caire? :P)