Easy PC's for WoW (and other games)

Spam!!
Ilsevele

Re: Easy PC's for WoW (and other games)

Post by Ilsevele » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:46 am

Giruy wrote: Weakest link is now my RX 480 for whatever reason performs in the 40th percentile on benchmarking tests and i cant figure out why.
Because most of the people who are actually doing any benchmarking, 3DMark especially, are people with GTX 1070+ configs.
Other lvl 100+:
EU-Lightbringer: Ilsevele * Lythara * Kyriani * Karaboska * Kentigerna * Hajima * Aerilaya * Laerlyn * Schattendieb * Uszatek * Allyx * Makoto
EU-Argent Dawn: Shalihn * Shaijihn * Sylune * Synneful * Shaela * Sinusoid
EU-Bronze Dragonflight: Simbul

Fagan

Post by Fagan » Fri May 11, 2018 11:23 am

Ok, we've finally bitten the bullet and bought 2 MSI Aegis X gaming pc's as building your own is crazy expensive with the price of graphics cards now (if you can even get them). They have i7 6700K 8MB and GTX 1080 8GB GDDR5X, so a massive boost from what we have now.

Now comes the pain in the butt side, as Mehe said we're looking at monitors. I'm liking the ultrawide monitors, question is, is G-Sync worth the massive price increase over other monitors?
'Certainty of death. Small chance of success. What are we waiting for?'

Aleila

Post by Aleila » Fri May 11, 2018 11:29 am

Woah that's awesome! Grats on the new rigs, hope you love em!
Yeah I'd like some general recommendations for monitors too, I think mine dates back to early WotLK...
I'm still playing ranged DPS, it's just that my range has dropped to 8 yards

Mehetabel

Post by Mehetabel » Fri May 11, 2018 3:35 pm

Fagan wrote:Ok, we've finally bitten the bullet and bought 2 MSI Aegis X gaming pc's as building your own is crazy expensive with the price of graphics cards now (if you can even get them). They have i7 6700K 8MB and GTX 1080 8GB GDDR5X, so a massive boost from what we have now.

Korchinks

Post by Korchinks » Fri May 11, 2018 4:19 pm

Bitcoin boom is ruining GPU prices, I look forward to the day that market drops like a bomb, my nvidia 1070 is worth a considerable amount over the £350 I paid for it which is crazy crazy!!

Nice systems for you both, congrats and enjoy!!

GSync or Freesync are both nice technologies that the tech sites wax lyrical over, but my gut feelings:

Our eyes struggle to process more than 75hz (or 75 frames per second), running games at 4k resolutions seldom produce >100fps - Either way there's an argument to say anything more than 100hz screen refresh is overkill.

I seem to be able to watch and enjoy 200hz tv/film without GSync or Freesync.

Sadly, I don't have a monitor recommendation, other than to say it's such a subjective purchase. For example, I'd like a curved but don't have the real estate to place it at an optimal distance from my eyes, So I don't know if ultrawide or a really nice standard >28" monitor is best for my set-up.

I've been gaming on upscaled 1080p (wow renders in 1440p and scales down to 1080p) for an age - I've seen games in 4k on same size monitors and it looks nice, but it doesn't look "twice the price" and still has to be scaled down to 1440p for raids - But that's probably because you have to sacrifice some settings to get 4k to run, but then there's the argument that running at 4k means things like AA and AF aren't required.

Vitki

Post by Vitki » Fri May 11, 2018 4:34 pm

Grats on the new systems! :)

When are you signing for raids? ;) :lol:

Fagan

Post by Fagan » Fri May 11, 2018 5:09 pm

Vitki wrote:Grats on the new systems! :)

When are you signing for raids? ;) :lol:
I wondered how long it would take for this question! :lol: :D

Been very busy at work today so have been looking at a LOT of monitors :lol: , I think the ultrawide is probably a bit overkill (and large) so we're thinking of getting these:

https://www.ebuyer.com/746752-acer-pred ... -hx1ee-023

Good make, G-Sync, 144Hz, should do the job (and we can always add 2 more each if we need massive viewing! :lol: )

That and these keyboards (thankfully we won't need to replace our mice!)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01G5Y27VY/ ... 9Ab7ZB9VKH
'Certainty of death. Small chance of success. What are we waiting for?'

Keandres
Raid Leader

Post by Keandres » Fri May 11, 2018 7:17 pm

For the keyboard, i recommend going to a shop first where they have different mechanical keyboards on display to try out the different switches that are available :).

What games are you planning on playing?

Mehetabel

Post by Mehetabel » Fri May 11, 2018 7:46 pm

Fagan here (I so can't wait to have 2 computers again!)
Keandres wrote:For the keyboard, i recommend going to a shop first where they have different mechanical keyboards on display to try out the different switches that are available :).

What games are you planning on playing?
Too late, keyboards and monitors bought (too excited to wait for opinions! :lol: )
The logitech have their own switches which are meant to be nice and quiet which I hope is the case as I don't like the clicky ones. We did pop to pc world last weekend and pushed some buttons to see.

As for games, well WoW of course! (And the other Blizzard Games). And from there who knows, having been apple branded for so many years we're not used to options! :lol:

Possibly some Warhammer 40K games, not sure what is out and what is good, but I've always loved 40k.

And when it eventually arrives, we will be looking at Anthem https://www.ea.com/games/anthem which looks awesome.

Lilpinkie

Post by Lilpinkie » Sat May 12, 2018 10:58 am

we have the Logitech keyboards that Fagan linked, they're not silent if that's what you're looking for they are quite noisy and clicky. Last time I was in Game they had keyboards and switches to test, pc world was useless