Easy PC's for WoW (and other games)

Spam!!
Amazone

Re: Easy PC's for WoW (and other games)

Post by Amazone »

I saw that one in the shop too.

Find it really hard to combine choice for what feels good with what is good ijn the reviews, like Ilse said. So far happy with the corsair K70RGB, having fun with the lighting systems.

Also making slightly less typos with this mech keyboard, especially when I am not tired.
ImageImage
Mehetabel

Post by Mehetabel »

For our next upgrade, Fagan and I are considering ditching the Macs for PCs as that's probably the most practical option. :roll:

I was just wondering if anyone has/is trying the 21:9 Ultra Wide monitors? Apparently they work really well with WoW (in conjunction with decent hardware ofc) and the videos I've seen appear to back that up.

Keandres
Raid Leader

Post by Keandres »

Mehetabel wrote:For our next upgrade, Fagan and I are considering ditching the Macs for PCs as that's probably the most practical option. :roll:

I was just wondering if anyone has/is trying the 21:9 Ultra Wide monitors? Apparently they work really well with WoW (in conjunction with decent hardware ofc) and the videos I've seen appear to back that up.

Manamal has one. Check his videos in the easy videos post.
Ilsevele

Post by Ilsevele »

21:9 should work ok with most major games, though the support recent and many popular pre-2016 items do not have a native support. WoW is one of the games that works well with such a setup.

On the other hand, 21:9 monitors (especially 3440x1440 ones):
- are usually prone to suffering from uneven luminance uniformity (so buying one for bigger graphic workspace is a big no, no).
- have quiet major input lag issues

Sadly, there is no middle ground, either you buy a cheap 2560x1080 one (LG29UM68) or, for gaming, you have to really look for 144Hz 3440x1440 ones (BenQ XR3501, Acer's X34 and Z35 series).

@Lilpinkie
If you like it, I'm happy for you. RomerG is supposed to be a universal switch, and thus is a bit controversial (it's neither enough tactile nor enough linear for many of the folks out there).
As far as prices of the computer gear are concerned, usually buying directly from manufacturer is not a very appealing option, unless you live in Scandinavia, or Greece - where the parts market is pretty shallow.
Lilpinkie

Post by Lilpinkie »

Keandres wrote:
Mehetabel wrote:For our next upgrade, Fagan and I are considering ditching the Macs for PCs as that's probably the most practical option. :roll:

Manamal has one. Check his videos in the easy videos post.
This is the one I bought Mana https://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-Predator- ... or+monitor
ArrZarr

Post by ArrZarr »

Personally, with my LG34UM95, a non-curved 3440x1440 display shown in the linked video at the bottom of the post, the only problem I've noticed is vertical tearing in the centre of the screen. Having the extra peripheral vision in this setup is far superior imo to the 3x 1080p setup I had previously.

It's only 60hz but you're pushing so many pixels (about 2.5X 1080p iirc) that you would need a very powerful graphics setup to take advantage of 75+ Hz screens. I have two 970s running in SLI and have my graphics preset down at 6.

Another consideration is that these displays' maximum refresh rate is generally limited by the cable specs, such as a HDMI input being limited to 50Hz on my screen and the newish LG 38UC99 which runs at a 3840x1600 resolution effectively being able to reach 85Hz on a Displayport 2.0 connection as it's effectively 3/4 of a 16:9 4k monitor.

As to the input lag, I haven't done any objective testing but it's absolutely fine for my purposes and I certainly haven't noticed any.

Long story short, I would happily recommend a 34" 3440x1440 monitor for WoW if you have the graphical horsepower and the desk space for it. If you don't, I'll let Mana talk about his experience with 2560x1080.

Mehetabel

Post by Mehetabel »

Thanks for the input guys. We'll be building our PC's specifically for gaming so will add the monitor requirements into the mix. :)
Amazone

Post by Amazone »

This thread just makes me want to buy more pc thingies! Nice screens. I would defintely go for arzz suggestion! espeically if used to using 2 screens that toption feels like you have more room for an '' admin '' screen
ImageImage
Ilsevele

Post by Ilsevele »

Update in a slightly re-arranged form:
1) I have updated with current price listenings from scan.co.uk (was considering Amazon UK, Aria PC and Overclockers.UK), 4launch.nl, caseking.de (was considering mindfactory.de) and morele.net (was considering x-kom.pl). I'm open to doing similar checks for other EU markets in the future.
2) Availability of RX570/580 is abysmal (blame cryptocoin miners) and unlikely to change before last week of June.
3) The next significant update should be on AIO/laptops and peripherals (monitors, mice, keyboards, DAC-s and headsets), and subject to decent availability X299 platform.
Giruy

Post by Giruy »

Upgraded my PC last week from an i5 2500 to i7 7700k, 16gb Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz Ram on a Asus Z270-P motherboard.

Weakest link is now my RX 480 for whatever reason performs in the 40th percentile on benchmarking tests and i cant figure out why.

Bit overkill for Runescape but what the hey :)
Maths problem of the day:
If George is 73 and his girlfriend is 26,
How much money does George have?