Nowai not allowed to happen!

Spam!!
Smitetor

Re: Nowai not allowed to happen!

Post by Smitetor »

looking at what you have shown here
(cpu looks fine) cold if anything 5th gens tend to run on air at 45% idle and 85% load
GPU looks very hot if that system is idle as indicated by the CPU temps as the MSI GTX 980 Ti idel 40°C and heavy 74°C
Bear in mind the rooms ambient temperatures will have some effects here (system run cooler in winter etc)

however, you Mobo seem to also be shown error code 73 and that is "the online gigabyte manual says that 73-77- PCH DXE initialization" from memory 73 is a sata device

DXE = Driver Execution Environments, once system RAM is initialized and the PEI phase completes, the DXE environment is entered. The Platform Controller Hub (PCH) Some northbridge functions, the memory controller and PCI-e lanes, were integrated into the CPU while the PCH took over the remaining functions in addition to the traditional roles of the southbridge.

Basically it is telling you there a part failing or about to fail

if it's under warranty it should be a straightforward RMA and replacement/fix

if its out of warranty give me a bell and ill walk you through stripping down the card and redoing the thermal paste as my bet is that is cracked (assuming if not packed with dust) and not able to dissipate the heat and testing your HSS/SDD in command line pre boot
Soraya

Post by Soraya »

Wow Mana, thank you! :D There was a time I used to be really conversant with PCs as it was cheaper to build them, but that was some years ago and old(er!) age and enough money to pay someone else to build them for me has compromised my learning and retention skills :D This is interesting though!!

I emailed Cyperpower last night and they responded this morning (impressive huh?) I answered their queries and (I'm thinking they are thinking what you are thinking! :D ) he asked me to us a benchmarker called Furmark and choose the GPU stresser.

The PC had been off all day, since I am worried about electrical fires and all! so was cool starting the test. I tried it on full screen for approx. 5-6 minutes (until I accidentally hit escape and cancelled the test!) and no issues.

However, I then realized that it was not set on the resolution that I use (1920:1080). I set the resolution accordingly and started the stress test again on full screen and it turned off within 1-2 minutes. I have variable speed control on my casing fans; normally I have them on the lowest setting which has been adequate to date, but for the tests I turned the fan speed up to max.

The GPU reached 92 degrees under full load! :o
Smitetor

Post by Smitetor »

Soraya wrote:The GPU reached 92 degrees under full load! :o
this as we (the fast show) would say in the 90s
Skorchio!!!
Soraya

Post by Soraya »

:lol:
Amazone

Post by Amazone »

Soraya wrote: The GPU reached 92 degrees under full load! :o
WOOW
2 years ago was my last pc hardware issue, and still the only one on this current pc.
Also system crashes related to graphics however the cause was not found.
Because of that there was now warranty on the videocard and I ended up with a good deal from my shop,
replace broken card with a similar slightly worse card for free.
Still running the game perfectly, although it is a bit aged now.
I hope you can work out the warranty bit. And get it working again properly soon!
ImageImage
Soraya

Post by Soraya »

Personally, I would not settle for less, Ama! :D If anything I might be more likely sneak an upgrade in if it wasn't price prohibitive, but tbf 980TI should be plenty for what I use it for, for years yet! I only play WoW and that is more likely to need a processor upgrade than a GPU upgrade for some time!

Ok, so he advised I take the GFX card out and blow any dust off it (he said he feels the heatsink might be clogged). I had ordered myself an electric air duster from IT Dusters (I hate canned air!) and did just that. The card was more dusty than the inside of my machine, but not markedly so.

I then ran the Furry Bench tester again and this time it coped for 5 minutes before I stopped the test, and it did not shut down (it lasted 2 minutes last night before crashing). However, the GPU still reached 88 degrees, so whilst better it remains a concern. I have emailed them again tonight. I must say, I am very impressed so far with the customer support! Very prompt. :)

On a little side note. I do have a spare GTX 770 sitting in a cupboard; I am going to try the game tonight and if it crashes again I may install the 770 whilst I wait to hear what happens next and when :)

Edit: Ok, so I logged in and lasted 3 minutes standing doing nothing before the crash. I'm going to install the 770 and see what happens.
Amazone

Post by Amazone »

Soraya wrote:Personally, I would not settle for less, Ama! :D If anything I might be more likely sneak an upgrade in if it wasn't price prohibitive, but tbf 980TI should be plenty for what I use it for, for years yet! I only play WoW and that is more likely to need a processor upgrade than a GPU upgrade for some time!

Ok, so he advised I take the GFX card out and blow any dust off it (he said he feels the heatsink might be clogged). I had ordered myself an electric air duster from IT Dusters (I hate canned air!) and did just that. The card was more dusty than the inside of my machine, but not markedly so.

I then ran the Furry Bench tester again and this time it coped for 5 minutes before I stopped the test, and it did not shut down (it lasted 2 minutes last night before crashing). However, the GPU still reached 88 degrees, so whilst better it remains a concern. I have emailed them again tonight. I must say, I am very impressed so far with the customer support! Very prompt. :)

On a little side note. I do have a spare GTX 770 sitting in a cupboard; I am going to try the game tonight and if it crashes again I may install the 770 whilst I wait to hear what happens next and when :)

wow just dust can do all that? that certainly my problem, although i don't dust the inside out as often as I should.

It was a Gtx 660 instead of a GTX 660Ti. I couldn't get nvidia manufacturer warranty, so I had to do with the shop warranty and they did not have the same (unreliable/unstable) nvidiacard, and I haven't noticed the difference of the missing of overclocking (Ti) so IN A WAY IT IS An upgrade. oc i could even gotten equal price cards., but not more expensive.
I was advised not take take a 700 series card instead of the popular 660, and after that all was every expensive at the time, but if any sign of problem shows up I am going to look for a new system, with proper new not backward graphic card.
ImageImage
Soraya

Post by Soraya »

Ah, I see, that makes sense now :) I never had a 600 series.

Update on trying the spare GTX770. I know this was a working card, it was part of an SLI set up in my son's old pc and no issues. So I installed it and could browse internet fine etc, however 5 mins into loading WoW and standing around chatting with Sera and I shut down again. Nothing personal Sera I promise! :oops: :lol:

And as I am typing this I can smell that same burning smell, and it is the 770 installed, so I will switch the pc back off (and unplug it! :o ). I still wonder whether the PSU is no longer pulling it's weight and contributing in some way, we shall see. I have let Cyberpower know the update also :)
Korchinks

Post by Korchinks »

Nice rig by the way :)

I'll add an edit to this as I missed reading one whole page of posts so forgive me if you're pretty close to identifying the issue at hand.

Lay it on it's side (one a soft floor or maybe a towel to prevent scratches) and see if the noise goes away, at same time check the intake fan for the PSU (it looks like it's cooling from a floor facing fan which may be dust filled if you've not done that already of course). At sime time check GPU fan is spinning (can also be monitored, perhaps by GPUZ if not Afterburner http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/msi ... nload.html)

That noise is almost definitely fan related, can you easily remove the power from the one by the CPU cooler - process of elimination, maybe in doing so you can identify the exact noise culprit, it maybe the GPU fan because GPU temps seem high?
EDIT TO THIS - if your 770 is smoking/heating up then it could be motherboard or PSU related (one or both of these may be covered by your PC warranty or manufacturers' warranty?)

Speedfan is obsolete if I recall correctly, the reading you have maybe not be accurate - CoreTemp (from http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/coretemp-1-rc1.html ) and GPUZ (from techpowerup) are the current monitors if I recall correctly).
Last edited by Korchinks on Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one
Korchinks

Post by Korchinks »

http://www.corsair.com/en-gb/support/warranty

Power Supplies

RM Series™ PSUs have a 5 year warranty
RMi Series™ PSUs have a 10 year warranty
RMx Series™ PSUs have a 10 year warranty
VS Series™ PSUs have a 3 year warranty
VX Series™ (Models VX450, and VX550) have a 5 year warranty

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one