Inspiration/meanings of your characters names ....

Spam!!
Kirby

Re: Inspiration/meanings of your characters names ....

Post by Kirby »

I have a Hunter on Mazrigos called Aerro, just a slight alteration on arrow, I also named the pet Beau.
In another life, in another place
Maybe you'd have found what brings some to believe
On a different road, in a perfect space
Maybe all the hurt you've known would fail to be
Rhae

Post by Rhae »

Kirby wrote:I have a Hunter on Mazrigos called Aerro, just a slight alteration on arrow, I also named the pet Beau.
Ha, I used that same tactic on my Khajiit in ESO, whom I named Claude Enyeau-Phays. :lol:
Mehetabel

Post by Mehetabel »

It's been a good while since I updated this thread too! I now have one alliance char of every class on Lightbringer/Mazrigos. I'm finally happy with their names and race/class combo's and they are all level 100, finally.

Since they are ALL in <Easy> and played fairly regularly, I thought I'd bump this for the benefit of any new guildies who might not know who the manic char-hopping person is every morning! :lol:

Mehetabel (human holy pally) - means "favoured by God" or "makes God happy" in Hebrew, a name I thought was perfect for a holy warrior

Wolfsong (draenai shammy) - Nice and Native American sounding and very shaman-like I thought.

Wolfdreamer (nelf hunter) - this is actually my name .... kinda. For years I had an Native American "pen friend". She and her friends consequently invited me to join many of their online forums and groups but more than that, they welcomed me there which was rare for an "outsider". After a year or so, knowing that I had a deep interest in NA history, legend and customs, they gave me my own NA name - Wolfdreamer. I felt deeply honoured then, and still do now. :D One of my WoW characters therefore had to have the name too!

Peggysue (human mage) - Named for one of my favourite songs, "Peggy Sue" by Buddy Holly.

Darkgrace (draenai shadow priest) - I wanted something a bit dark for her as she's the opposite of the light and "grace" of a holy priest. Also, shadow priests to me seem to be a complete contradiction to themselves and I figured this name reflected that.

Cheetara (nelf feral druid) - I'm a huge Thundercats fan and what better name for a feral druid? :D

Rylee (worgen rogue) - She's a rogue, a thief, a street kid and I wanted a name that was both human sounding and fairly simple.

Zathras (DK) - He's my big bad worgen DK. Named for one of my favourite characters in the Babylon 5 TV show.

Tokoloshe (noam lock)- This is the name of a well known South African evil spirit/gremlin. Don't get more evil than a noam lock so that seemed fitting :lol:

Jehosheba (dwarf warrior)- Her name means "God's oath". It sounded really dwarfy and since warriors are traditionally loyal, honest and honorable, the name seemed to fit her.

Xiang (panda monk)- A Chinese name, meaning "to soar", "auspicious, lucky" or "fragrant".

Natoth (demon hunter)- Another one named after a character from Babylon 5. Na'toth was awesome and as hard as nails.

I only have a few hordies:

Icecream (tauren pally) - She's my tauren and I figured tauren = cow = milk = icecream! :D

Bliksem (orc shammy)- This is a South African word that means to beat someone up (and means "lightning" in Dutch, I'm told, which also seems very suitable!)

Lsia (belf rogue) - This name actually came about because of how I often used to mis-type my own name when I was in a hurry. After years of doing that I started to think it might make a good char name! :lol:
Mehetabel

Post by Mehetabel »

Just updated my name list and thought I'd bump this for all those new demon hunters (and new guildies!). :D
Ramael

Post by Ramael »

When choosing a name for my character, I wanted something ending with -el, but everything I tried was already taken. I don't know exactly how I came up with 'Ramael', and I was convinced nobody else had it. It was, indeed, available on Lightbringer, but there seems to be a dozen more across other realms. :lol:
Battletag: Seb#22308
ArrZarr

Post by ArrZarr »

Originally, the name ArrZarr (Note the capitalisation - WoW has never gotten it right :( ) was the name of my assassin in Diablo 2, the first character I ever defeated Diablo on. The name just stuck from there. Before this, my naming creativity stretched to the dizzying heights of "mrben". If you would like to give me more credit that I deserve, you might think this was a reference to Mr Benn from the eponymous, quintessentialy British cartoon. No, that's just my name.

All my toons have some variant of this, generally containing the "Zarr" part which I've always expected to be my handle if I ever become a successful youtuber - "welcome, ladies and gentlemen, I'm the Zarr and this is..."

A Demon Hunter, however required something special, something that would combine something from my base name and have additional meaning to it, hence Arzathoth.

In the Cthulu mythos, Azathoth is one of the outer gods, referred to as the blind idiot god, with a sufficiently demonic sounding name. Considering that Demon Hunters are blind and anybody sensible's opinion of me, everything was sorted.
Bipsie
GM [Retired]

Post by Bipsie »

*insert apologies for awakening a 3 year dead thread*

Mehe just informed me about this thread which I never posted on, so I will rectify that now!!

Kalehela (Paladin) - Was intended to be Kaheleha which was the name of a minor character from Twilight (I made this toon when I was 15 :lol: :roll: ) but I spelt it wrong so it became Kalehela. I have been informed that this means Castle Toilet in Turkish as well. I would change it given it's dodgy history but it just wouldn't be the same. Started out as a Blood Elf until WoD when I joined the alliance.

Shiyori (Shaman) - A japanese name which means Serenity, Calm, and Peace. I have studied Japanese in the past and I just really liked the name. She's my first Panda toon as well.

Bipsie (Warlock) - Began life as an Undead warlock and when changed to a gnome I just thought it was a cute name for a small character.

Reylah (Hunter) - Wanted to use the name Ryssa but this was taken, so went for something similar. (Ryssa is a character from one of my favourite series (Dark Hunters by Sherrilyn Kenyon)

Tylune (Druid) - A mix between Tyrande and Elune. Night elf of course!

Niyomi (Rogue) - A play on Naomi, as she's a rogue I wanted a fairly standard name which didn't sound overly fantasy based and Naomi has long been one of my favourite names.

Mopzie (Mage) - Matching similar name to Bipsie for my gnome mage!

Okami (Priest) - Means wolf in Japanese.

Hilderid (Death Knight) - I tried to go for a Viking sort of name for this character as she's a dworf and northern and that, and this is a combination of Hilde and Astrid.

Cairistiona (Demon Hunter) - Another one named after a character in Sherrilyn Kenyon's books, this time the League series. She's a vicious warrior who is a little bit dark, so thought it suited Demon Hunter.

Taoshiki (Monk) - A combination of the chinese phrases "Tao" which means order of the universe and "Shiki" which google says means Warrior (but now I've just searched it again and can't find the page so who knows it could be nothing lol.

Ayuna (Warrior) - Was a Night elf but I recently changed to a Void Elf but thought the name still suited her. It was another attempt on a name like Elune.

I have loads more toons with random names but those are my main ones. :)
Battletag: squarah1990#2117
Discord: _squarah
Vaelar

Post by Vaelar »

oh well here goes...

LunaDawn - My Daughters first and middle names combined, she designed the kultiran toon and named it... talk about an ego

Vaelar - random word I think - sounded draenei like

Solanai - random - sounded night elfy

Latosius (pre race change to kultiran) - Random magey name taken from a book.. turns out it was an elven mage actually in the game so when I killed myself in legion I was like... ok that was weird

all others are just random words I think
Broken Guitar for sale, No strings attached.
Bipsie
GM [Retired]

Post by Bipsie »

Vaelar wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:45 pm oh well here goes...

LunaDawn - My Daughters first and middle names combined, she designed the kultiran toon and named it... talk about an ego
Awwh bet that she loved you letting her do that :D. Luna is one of my favourite names.
Battletag: squarah1990#2117
Discord: _squarah
Fimble

Post by Fimble »

I like to think up little back stories for why things have the name they have.

Fimble - story goes - was pretty small for a gnome infant even.. Her parent were worried she might be a thimble.. But thats a terrible name so they made it F-imble.. and added top.. so she could at least FEEL taller. ^-^

Noxlumina. Used to be scared of the dark.. until ironically the Lichking changed that.

Undercutter. . She a rogue.. and a banker. . it's a such a fitting pun for a short backstabbing bank rogue,
Even while cutting down a boss.. she's underneath everyone else's big swings, stabbing with daggers.