Inspiration/meanings of your characters names ....

Spam!!
Ebuyeck

Re: Inspiration/meanings of your characters names ....

Post by Ebuyeck »

Nice thread,
Ebuyeck :- all gnomes remind me of little old Yorkshireman
Polaxe :- as in pol axed
Axismutatis (shaman) :- it's a album from The Shaman
Klytus (mage) :- mings side kick from flash gorden
Blame (pally tank) :- just love the pug blame game that starts when things go wrong
Minimiser (rogue) :- little cute gnome
Boogiehagan (priest) :- a dancing Bugenhagen, the wacky priest from the omen
Gotafix (Druid) :- play on the Druid from asterisk
Tightfist (banker) :- gnome banker who just cart throw anything away
Kirby

Post by Kirby »

Kirby (rogue) - Kirby was named thus, most likely while listening to some music from the video games, but I was thinking someone already has the name, I was very surprised about getting it.
Ravavyre (druid) - Was formally Kaotik, but used a D&D name generator to get a name I thought fitted it more
Puntable (warrior) - Was really a no-brain er to name it Puntable, and with heroic leap I could time it so it can be punted :P
Shadowsong (monk) - Was aiming for the pandaren naming feel, like Stormstout, thus Shadowsong was made.
Metaknight (dk) - Again in relation to Kirby and from the game series, again was pleasantly surprised to get it.
Frostfall (shaman) - Tried to get something that fit in with the shaman feel to it, hopefully it worked
Banequo (mage) - An alteration of Banquo from Macbeth, also it's a reminder of a friend I met in guild wars
Frazzum (priest) - Was how I heard part of the Muttley grumble from wacky races when I was younger and I think it's sort of been my mindset at the time of creating a priest and leveling it.

Horde alts...
Kesla (hunter) - A reference to a character in the Wit'ch Fire series, would have fitted my rogue better, as the character was an assassin, but I am very attached to the name Kirby now.
Kilvanas (warlock) - A game reference to a name I liked, can't remember which game though.
Zivanka (Paladin) - Has the Slavic meaning full of life, and my pally got the name before the priest
In another life, in another place
Maybe you'd have found what brings some to believe
On a different road, in a perfect space
Maybe all the hurt you've known would fail to be
Soraya

Post by Soraya »

Ysh - druid, originally Yshania. I xferred realm with her for a brief while, and a friend in WoW thought he should "protect" her name by creating a char in her absence to hold the name for her. Whe I brought her back to Lightbringer, this contact was AWOL with her name so she became Ysh! :roll: My very first RPG experience was Baldur's Gate. I created Yshania (I made up the name at the time). She was initially a (very!) fail rogue, I rerolled and she became an archer until end game. The name was later used again in the same game once the expansion came out to make a female druid who was much more fun to play than the archer (and the fail rogue!). The name (and class! - though the alignment changed in "Hell" and gender changed on replay lol! in order to experience each story line that followed the in game "romances" and how they were altered by different alignments (just call me sad for multiple replays to avoid me boring you with detail!)) followed me through numerous trips into Throne of Bhaal and into Neverwinter Nights and then Icewind Dale I and II. Sad to admit I have been a druid called Ysh for over 15 years!

Soraya - shaman. When I was playing Baldur's Gate, there was a group of us from a forum called Gamebanshee who used to write fan fiction called The Darkflames - you can probably still find it there lol! :lol: it was a very fun time! (The Darkflames went on to be the name of my first WoW guild!) The Darkflames got this name from the in game romance story line between the protagonist and a paladin called Ajantis - he refers to her as his "Dark Flame" One of the chars I created in this fan fiction was an elven priest called High Zoria, I am sure my sister was involved somewhere in creating this name but my memory fails me. Zoria the priest became Soraya the shaman. I thought I had made this name up too until I started to lose count of the number of in game whispers from people believing I was Arabic, or from the middle east. It is a known name, English equivalent is Sarah.

Darkpoet - Lock. Simple! A chanter of the dark arts.

Sojourner - hunter. Taken from the French word Sojourn, which is used in English to "rest a while" - see feign death lol! :lol:

Lizzyborden - Death Knight - well Lizzy Borden was a women who murdered her parents with an axe...it felt kind of fitting! :oops:

HiJynx - monk - I guess I expected energy and excitement with the expansion, and created a new char/class to try and revive my love for the game. The monk was never really going to do that tbf ;)

Solemneyed - priest from a line in one of my favourite poems by WB Yeats called The Stolen Child about changelings - children who are stolen by faeries and replaced with faery folk:

Where dips the rocky highland
Of Sleuth Wood in the lake,
There lies a leafy island
Where flapping herons wake
The drowsy water rats;
There we've hid our faery vats,
Full of berries
And of reddest stolen cherries.

Come away, O human child!
To the waters and the wild
With a faery, hand in hand,
For the world's more full of weeping than you can understand.

Where the wave of moonlight glosses
The dim gray sands with light,
Far off by furthest Rosses
We foot it all the night,
Weaving olden dances
Mingling hands and mingling glances
Till the moon has taken flight;
To and fro we leap
And chase the frothy bubbles,
While the world is full of troubles
And anxious in its sleep.

Where the wandering water gushes
From the hills above Glen-Car,
In pools among the rushes
That scarce could bathe a star,
We seek for slumbering trout
And whispering in their ears
Give them unquiet dreams;
Leaning softly out
From ferns that drop their tears
O'er the young streams.

Away with us he's going,
The solemn-eyed:
He'll hear no more the lowing
Of the calves on the warm hillside
Or the kettle on the hob
Sing peace into his breast,
Or see the brown mice bob
Round and round the oatmeal chest.
For he comes, the human child,
For the world's more full of weeping than he can understand.

:)
Parsifal

Post by Parsifal »

"Parsifal and the Grail Knights" - overture from Richard Wagner's opera "Parsifal".

Rhae

Post by Rhae »

[edited all this out because I found out this is a public part of the forum and I don't want to share my alts/names/meanings with non-guild lurkers]
Last edited by Rhae on Fri May 02, 2014 9:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tsumecho

Re: Inspiration/meanings of your charactes names ....

Post by Tsumecho »

Tsumecho wrote:Nice thread.

Tsumecho has a short story behind it. A Japanese/Belgian friend in Bete Noire started calling me Cho (which is Butterfly in Japanese) after having a chat to her about going on a date and having butterflies. When I transed back to LB, I needed a name. Druid is a kitty, has claws, Tsume = Clawed + Cho = Butterfly, thus Tsumecho was born.
Going back to my post, the Japanese/Belgian friend was Tanny, there's a "D'aww" moment for everyone who didn't know.

Also, don't forget to read Rhae's post, it's pretty cool.
Meow.

Rhae

Re: Inspiration/meanings of your charactes names ....

Post by Rhae »

Tsumecho wrote:Also, don't forget to read Rhae's post, it's pretty cool.
Just make sure you come packed with enough supplies to make it to the end of the post. :p

And it's funny, I thought your name was tsu-mecho (mecho from mechanical, thought it was perhaps from some scifi fandom). Nice to read the real pronunciation, as well as its meaning. It's lovely!
Amazone

Post by Amazone »

Found out I haven't posted here yet, what an interesting thread it is!

TBC:
Amazone, (Night Elf Hunter) Dutch for Amazon, Female horse rider, less comon Markswoman (on a horse) ;) Sometimes it is used in histroical movies but not always proven it was so.
Last but not less important Amazon(e) is a river and rainforest in South America. Feels like a home for this night elf hunter/markswoman!!!!
Note, it has nothing to do with the shopping mall on internet

Anduviel, (Night Elf Druid) wanted a name with another A, like Ama, also more fitting in the older WC universe of night elf or high elf names also could be a Tolkien name for an Elf.

Tovenares (Human Mage) My first toon, and I did not know a name so made it most simple, Tovenares means Mage in Dutch (or female Wizard) and because it was TBC the name was not in use already!

Adrenalina (Human Rogue) well comes from Adrenaline some stuff in your blood, that actually makes the energy flow a rogue!

WOTLK:
Xantippe (Night Elf DK) I believe this is from an old Greek tale with a furious woman in it, named Xantippe
Wiske (Dranei Shaman) Part of a Belgian cartoon duo Suske & Wiske , Wiske has a lot of spirit!!!
Florijn (Dranei Paladin) Florijn is an old Dutch word for Guilder , our old currency, It could also be the female version of Floris, a very famous Dutch knight!

CATA:
Worgenheart (Worgen warrior) how obvious, reserved the name in WOTLK, because I thought Worgen and warriors would fit.

MOP:
Mistydream (Pandaren Monk) Mists from ''Mists of Pandaria" and the dream because Pandaria is a sort of dreamworld, and has a lot of dreaming involved.

Now I only lack a decent priest and lock, I have and have had one low lvl of each, but it is nothing much!!
ImageImage
Nephesh
GM [Retired]

Post by Nephesh »

Shaman Nephesh
Nephesh (נֶפֶש) is a Biblical Hebrew word which occurs in the Hebrew Bible (or Old Testament). Although it is commonly rendered as soul in English translations, the word refers to the tangible aspects of life, and human beings and animals are both described as being living soul(s). (Or Nephesh - "That which breathes")
(from wiki :P )
Druid Drethan
Just came up with it. There was a reason which I cant recall atm. but what I do know is that it's a combination of a few words that meant something to me at that time and that combination didnt sound too bad at that time
Priest Yizhi
I was looking for the chinese word for eternal/endless.
Yizhi is from yī zhí that means:
  • straight (in a straight line)
    continuously
    always
    from the beginning of ... up to ...
    all along
Well.. Yi is a Panda.. they are linked to ancient china for some reason :) . Eternal/endless/always/etc just makes me think of Pandaria.
DK Astraeus
In Greek mythology, Astraeus, Astræus or Astraeos (Ancient Greek: Ἀστραῖος) was an astrological deity and the Titan-god of the dusk. Some also associate him with the winds, as he is the father of the four Anemoi/wind deities.
(Also short text from wiki)
Chose this name mostly for the God of the dusk part (and the Titan-god mentioning :P ).

-

"You will find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view." - Obi-Wan Kenobi
Rahal

Post by Rahal »

Oh wow...did i miss this topic for all those years? :P Time to catch up a little :)

Warrior and main character - Rahalius - My main toon used to have my usual nickname for internet purpose ''Rahal''*, but unfortunately it was taken on my first realm Bronze Dragonflight . It freed up few months later, so i named my 2nd toon with it - the hunter. Funny thing is, as i really love to play warrior's in many other games, my first character in WoW meant to be a hunter...human hunter, which was unable to create in TBC :P So the warrior was really a 2nd option :) Rahalius was ''invented'' when was trying to create my 1st toon in Star Wars Galaxies...and ofc Rahal was yet taken. So needed to run with my marksman/commando/combat medic as a Rahalius Kovalsky :P
*Nickame Rahal - using it for about 12 years now, needed a new ''nickname'' for internet purpose, since ''Seprhiroth_17'' was a bit outdated (and lame...) when having 19+ years :P It was inspirated by an weird anime that i was watching back then, FLCL Furi Kuri, one of the characters was named Haruhara Haruko (Raharu when spelled fast few times in a row :P) And the nickname Rahal was used since then...used even by my sis and her friends IRL, that's odd :P
Hunter - Rahal - see above
Death knight - Demotivator - Actually i was a bit surprised that name wasn't taken, it's just cool for dk! :P
Paladin - Venessa - Just a random femine name. Really. (no, it's NOT an adult movies actress!)
Monk - Kimlan - This is a brand of very famous (for polish students at least :P) instant soup Kim-Lan ;) It was chineese enough to use it for pandaren monk.
Rogue - Airil - Last one, a bit more interesting than last ones, really :) It's a very nice name, when spelled backwards :)

Other chars are not worth mentioning, just some random names :)