Boldly going.... or not..

Spam!!
Mehetabel

Re: Boldly going.... or not..

Post by Mehetabel »

Hey Brolly! Happy New Year! :D

Hope you have fun out there with the exploring of worlds and stuff!

Mehe x
Jehlar

Post by Jehlar »

I look forward to a full report on it. I must admit I'm not expecting much, I can't see how an mmo which is about new gear and monies can work where you play as the federation where money is pretty much abolished and everything is standard issue kit.
Rexxor

Post by Rexxor »

Envay wrote:I look forward to a full report on it. I must admit I'm not expecting much, I can't see how an mmo which is about new gear and monies can work where you play as the federation where money is pretty much abolished and everything is standard issue kit.
You use Credits of some sort to pay with hehe!. Its not anywhere near Wow in quality, but the potentiale is there, if they really rework the insane amount of loading screens, and the sucky ground combat, and put a bit more focus on the EXPLORING part of the game.
Starwind

Post by Starwind »

Downloading client, just realized i had a code via my Curse premium account. :D

Red Alert!!!
Brolly

Post by Brolly »

Most new kit at the moment is looted from non-fed enemies, although there are bits for sale from vendors which accept various types of credits, marks or glass beads. These are earned while completing missions or trading unwanted loot. There is no xp per se, which I quite like, and in the beta at least I dont think the game is overrun with loading screens, from start-up to warp factor 1 is a fairly quick process. Ground combat is a bit of a faceroll atm, but the early stages are designed to be foolproof to give people like me the idea that we are actually quite good at it. Space combat, however has the potential to be absolutely amazing with the mechanics involved in building and equipping your ship. Im looking forward to forming a fleet of 20 ships to do the instance quests in the full release. I've been in quite a few random groups, and we have managed to one-shot most of the early grp quests with little or no communication, but there are a couple of more challengeing ones that demand you perform your chosen role...(basically tank, dps or healer).... The game isnt as demanding on your time as wow.. most instances can be completed within 30 mins.. at least at this stage, so you can do your bit then bugger off to the pub and boldy drink etc..
It will be interesting to see if there are the players to support the early grp quests after the game has been running for 6 months. Some of those quests provide essential upgrades and points towards promotion. I'm finding it very enjoyable so far, play for an hour or so... do something else.. play for half an hour.. etc etc. I'm guessing it will become more demanding as the game progresses, but its a nice learning curve the way it is now.
Anyway.. time for me to beam back to bed.. been a long day..
cya all later..:)
Quissy

Post by Quissy »

Brolly wrote:Most new kit at the moment is looted from non-fed enemies, although there are bits for sale from vendors which accept various types of credits, marks or glass beads. These are earned while completing missions or trading unwanted loot. There is no xp per se, which I quite like, and in the beta at least I dont think the game is overrun with loading screens, from start-up to warp factor 1 is a fairly quick process. Ground combat is a bit of a faceroll atm, but the early stages are designed to be foolproof to give people like me the idea that we are actually quite good at it. Space combat, however has the potential to be absolutely amazing with the mechanics involved in building and equipping your ship. Im looking forward to forming a fleet of 20 ships to do the instance quests in the full release. I've been in quite a few random groups, and we have managed to one-shot most of the early grp quests with little or no communication, but there are a couple of more challengeing ones that demand you perform your chosen role...(basically tank, dps or healer).... The game isnt as demanding on your time as wow.. most instances can be completed within 30 mins.. at least at this stage, so you can do your bit then bugger off to the pub and boldy drink etc..
It will be interesting to see if there are the players to support the early grp quests after the game has been running for 6 months. Some of those quests provide essential upgrades and points towards promotion. I'm finding it very enjoyable so far, play for an hour or so... do something else.. play for half an hour.. etc etc. I'm guessing it will become more demanding as the game progresses, but its a nice learning curve the way it is now.
Anyway.. time for me to beam back to bed.. been a long day..
cya all later..:)
and the drunken wimp is back :lol:
where's my email?
Korchinks

Post by Korchinks »

Can some drop a link to the download pls.

Cheers

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one
Jehlar

Post by Jehlar »

I saw a youtube video of the combat, now as someone who loved bridge commander I must say I was not impressed :?
Rexxor

Post by Rexxor »

Well its not really impressive, i doubt ill be playing beyond beta, tbh its very shallow. The skills are confusing and very boring. The ships are made into catagories, so it will be Wow in space, it has already started, LF Tank, healers missions xxx must have skills xxx lmao :( wtf a tank healer in a space combat starship game :(
Jehlar

Post by Jehlar »

Rexxor wrote:Well its not really impressive, i doubt ill be playing beyond beta, tbh its very shallow. The skills are confusing and very boring. The ships are made into catagories, so it will be Wow in space, it has already started, LF Tank, healers missions xxx must have skills xxx lmao :( wtf a tank healer in a space combat starship game :(
That was exactly my fears. It seems like that have taken a look at wow and gone "Yes, that but in space".

It's a shame really because space combat has been shown to work really well before (bridge commander & x-wing) when you don't have a million special moves but rather control over a resources system (which has lots of room for tinkering and expanding though levels and loot) and a large amount of control over your ship. I'm not saying special moves are bad, but they should not be the be all and end all of a battle.

As for the tank/healer/dps roles... honestly, WHAT?! I guess this means we will be seeing Ragnoross in space rather than something slightly new and interesting.

It just annoys me that they had the chance to make an original mmo built on elements proven in single player games (with online multi player) but went for what could be replicated in wow by having two mages fight underwater. How they expect to woo customers away form wow by making an inferior copy is beyond me...

P.S. Opps sorry Rex I pressed edit instead of quote, I think I returned your post to its original form though :)