[HEART OF FEAR] - Garalon

Strategies for HoF.
Giruy

Re: [HEART OF FEAR] - Garalon

Post by Giruy »

Hunters were kiting 1st and 2nd, meant we got 2 stints before the kill (does hurt the dps), also got to stay in melee :)
Maths problem of the day:
If George is 73 and his girlfriend is 26,
How much money does George have?
Fagan

Post by Fagan »

Giruy wrote:Hunters were kiting 1st and 2nd, meant we got 2 stints before the kill (does hurt the dps), also got to stay in melee :)
But hunters are also the best for moving and DPSing as you keep telling me (so you can go near the legs). In which case it's better for the raid for the hunters to be doing it, even if it is a little bad for you on the meters. This is a rogue fight, deal with it ;) :lol:
'Certainty of death. Small chance of success. What are we waiting for?'

Flexie

Post by Flexie »

One thing I've noticed on every attempt I've been kiting - the 3rd person on the list is unlikely to be able to any dps to the boss due to range. Might be an idea to stick a healer in that position.
Tan

Post by Tan »

Flexie wrote:One thing I've noticed on every attempt I've been kiting - the 3rd person on the list is unlikely to be able to any dps to the boss due to range. Might be an idea to stick a healer in that position.
Nice observation, good call.
ImageImage
Join us on Discord: https://discord.gg/4sBTRwT and twitter: easyLB
Irukandzji&Timmy, Tan, JellyBelly, Aica, Aiola, Acai, Turritopsis
Tan

Post by Tan »

So for future reference, we're sticking to 2H for the kiters, and no healers on kiting duty.

I know that the same people have been on kiting duty so far, i tried to stick in some new faces, but it's not easy.
So if you haven't kited before as a ranged, expect to be put in the row of puddle droppers next time! Thus if you haven't already, get your exercise in LFR!

Oh, and for not having to have Moolly always on the calling out for ranged grp moving, we could maybe have other healers get used to this too! Seems to work a lot better than without!

Next go, let's try to have at least 2 raiders alive now on our suicide mission :lol:
ImageImage
Join us on Discord: https://discord.gg/4sBTRwT and twitter: easyLB
Irukandzji&Timmy, Tan, JellyBelly, Aica, Aiola, Acai, Turritopsis
Emesis

Post by Emesis »

Had an awful raid last night, sorry for being a pain. I even messed up at the first, easy bosses.
Rublupine

Post by Rublupine »

I'v been thinking about the dynamic between Legs and Body some more, especially the mechanic for Mend Leg http://www.wowhead.com/spell=123495/mend-leg....

Mechanic recap:

Garalon has 4 legs to begin with, his movement decreases by 15% per leg destroyed. DPS on legs gets a 100% buff to damage done to the leg providing they are within the 12 yard marker. The Mend Leg spell is on a 30 sec timer, so once all legs are gone and the first re-spawn has happened legs should appear on a 30 second rotation (I can't workout if Mend legs clock commences at the pul or the first leg kill, i think first leg kill).

Current Approach:

The way we are doing things now, at the pull everyone nukes the legs. Once the legs are down the raid is choosing whether to continue on leg DPS or switch to the body (though while legs are all down everyone is on the body). The decision as to whether someone tries to DPS legs is seemingly a personal one as long as they don't cause the crush mechanic by going under Garalon.

Suggestion:

So, to my question/thinking... Do we simply have too many DPS on the leg/(s). Bearing in mind that Garalon can only re-spawn one leg every thirty seconds surely the optimal setup is to be killing the his re-spawn legs at around 25-30 seconds, if we're doing it faster than this i would argue we're actually losing DPS on aggregate on account of too many people chasing the legs in favour of having sustained DPS on the body. Yes, I bet we have player's who DPS on the move and who have their ABC (always be casting) down pat, but i guess there are some who don't (or otherwise the movement ABC is weaker DPS abilities than stationary). I'm seeing the leg DPS mechanic as an artifical DPS boost, players have high individual DPS but the raids overall DPS is lower than it could be. Players get to the leg and its half destroyed, the time moving to it s time lost on the body.

As far as 'Kiters' for the Pheromone debuff, I think we continue as we are for this, possibly a little extra consideration as to whether we would want the majority of Kiters to be from the Leg DPS group though. The strategy is contingent on the legs going down within the 30 second window, so too many Kiters in the leg group and the DPS on the legs will suffr (better that the bod takes the hit in this respect).

So, last point, I'm definitely not advocating reduced emphasis on the legs, they need to go down for the body damage and speed reduction (If the groupings we put together can't take a leg down before the next one is up we'd need to sub in more players to the leg DPS group). I'm just concerned that we've swung the DPS pendulum too far to the Legs at the expense of the body?

Can we please talk about having a dedicated group on legs and a dedicated group on body? I bet we see better DPS all round on account of more focus on the respective body parts.

PS - I volunteer to be a body hitter, I'm ok (mostly) with missing out on the DPS buff. ;)
Fungi

Post by Fungi »

I make the decision to chase legs or stick to body several times during the fight. Since I have blink.. most legs are within range (leg where I am at... 1 left, 1 right). If a leg spawns on the opposite side of me I only move towards it when there's nearly no dps near it.

A.
If you want to be or have more than average, you need to work/learn/invest more than average!
Awesomeness, it can't be taught !
"Where the brave may live forever" - V.
Rublupine

Post by Rublupine »

Hey Fung, yep. But worth bearing in mind that this is because your spec is one that is definitely more attuned to Leg Chasing (you get a cleave on the body from lance, and generally have more mobility than Arcane does).

Another way of thinking on my post is that we probably need a bit of a breakdown of which Class/Specs perform better for Body/Legs respectively. AS an example (and I know Flexie will hate my saying this as Arcane is perfectly viable for Legs) Arcane is probably a better choice for Body if compared to all other Class/Spec options, while alternatively Frost is a better choice for Legs.
Lithasola

Post by Lithasola »

Didnt I hear somewhere that killing a leg takes a %age HP off the body ? and since the legs have a relatively small amount of HP compared to the body its a good idea to nuke them asap to take more HP from the body on every leg respawn ?

What I mean is that by killing a leg your taking more HP from the body than you would be able to by just staying on the body ?