[HEART OF FEAR] - Garalon

Strategies for HoF.
Flexie

Re: [HEART OF FEAR] - Garalon

Post by Flexie »

Lithasola wrote:Didnt I hear somewhere that killing a leg takes a %age HP off the body ? and since the legs have a relatively small amount of HP compared to the body its a good idea to nuke them asap to take more HP from the body on every leg respawn ?

What I mean is that by killing a leg your taking more HP from the body than you would be able to by just staying on the body ?
You are correct, Ruby just argues that if everyone has permission to zerg the respawning legs we lose a bit of dps on the body during movement to said leg. Although I'm not sure where that's coming from, melee should be able to dps the body while moving, as should be mobile casters/hunters.
Rublupine

Post by Rublupine »

Hi Lith, yes, what Flex said.

Its a little like this:

So. with round numbers... Garalon has 650M health and killing a leg does 3% of this each time (20M). To Kill Garalon by legs alone you'd need to have 33 legs spawn. You start with 4 up, so its a question of how many can you get before beserk and what the gap is that needs to be done to the body).

Lets be generous and say the first leg is down within 10 seconds and that with dots, etc, the 7 minute enrage can be used to full effect for 14 additional legs. That's 280M damage to the body from spawned legs plus 80M from the start legs (360), leaving 290 damage needed for the body. If we're conservative on what we do to the legs (e.g. the one leg that leaves the arena is left up and the beserk only allowing us 13 leg respawns and not 14) we're looking at 320 from legs and 330 from body.

To my mind, the reason we're failing to the enrage timer is that we're not getting enough damage on the body.

Coincidentally, the legs have 20M health each too, so, with the damage debuff they are effectively 10M health. How many raiders does it take to put out 10M damage in 30 seconds? (because 10M damage on the legs will equate to 20M under the damage buff).
Fagan

Post by Fagan »

When I lead, I like to try and get people thinking for themselves rather than having to tell every individual exactly what to do.

So for the 'Should I hit the body or try for the legs' debate this is where I stand....

You (the raider) should know your class well enough that you can decide if you will be better at standing and nuking the body or hitting legs then body. This is why I always say if you can effectively nuke the legs and are comfortable with it then go ahead, anyone who isn't can hit the body. So you should know if your class can nuke on the move or not, if you can't then stay still and nuke the body, if you can then you should be able to dps the body while moving to the legs.

For the melee this is easy, I have /startattack macro'ed into my main attacks which then instantly switches me to the boss once the leg is down, I can then build up combo points on the body while running to the next leg and either refresh SnD or drop a rupture on the body. When things go well I manage to keep rupture up on the body between leg kills and I'm always cleaving while hitting the legs too.

I shouldn't really need to know every classes/raiders pro's and con's and specifically tell each person what they should be doing. You're all big and ugly enough to know what you are capable of! ;) :lol:

My raid style goes for calling out things too, unless I ask someone to do it I don't want things called, be it the enrage timer, or anything else. (The kiting switch is fine to be called out of course). I'd like the raid to be able to think for itself sometimes ;)

Personally I think the main issue is that some of our dps really need to work on pumping out better numbers, and our kiters need to work on getting that right as quiet a few attempts have been fails because of a lot of messy switches = dps wasting energy/mana/time on looking for selfsaves/heals/snotballs/etc.

More rogues for this fight doesn't hurt either ;)
'Certainty of death. Small chance of success. What are we waiting for?'

Giruy

Post by Giruy »

Basically what Fagan said (I swear to god I'm not meaning to keep agreeing with you, so stop posting things I agree with :evil: ;) )

Discounting class specs, DPS target priority in this fight above all else is:

1. LEGS
2. BODY
3. MD to noams

As Fagan pointed out, its up to you to know what's best for you/your class. This fight is not a long cast friendly fight that's for sure.
Maths problem of the day:
If George is 73 and his girlfriend is 26,
How much money does George have?
Rublupine

Post by Rublupine »

Hi Fagan, i agree with what you have said (lots of areas to improve on and nice to let raid think for itself). However, based on the encounter mechanics i think we should try to plan on Dps distribution too. We get to the berserk timer regularly and that would indicate the Dps needs a little tune.

in practise the problem is that our raiders are a competitive bunch and want to push out the extra Dps afforded by the leg debuff. Truth is, this is bad for the encounter.

I'd say we should have 6 or 7 Dps assigned to legs, preferably those who would perform optimally.

We all know whether our class/spec is should be on single target 'turret' Dps or should be on 'mobile' Dps. Let's at least agree who is in which group before the pull (I wonder if the majority of the raid team is trying for legs and, if yes, should we try to moderate that?)
Rublupine

Post by Rublupine »

Hi Brave, I completely agree on the Dps priority. I'm interested in whether the Dps priority should apply to the whole raid?

If we kill every leg possible and Garalon enrages with 50m health left, we need to find 50m more body Dps? Could that Dps come from a few players focusing purely on the body and not missing Dps by moving around so much?
Erian
Raid Leader

Post by Erian »

This should be on farm by now.
Start every day off with a smile and get it over with.
Rublupine

Post by Rublupine »

I think that's the subtext to having opened up this strategy forum again. We've downed it twice, neither kill was 'clean', and even now its troublesome to the point of having nights of wiping...
Sarri

Post by Sarri »

2 things I want people to pay attention to:

1) for swopping of debuff

Orange marks are approximately where the first round of changes happens. What I would like to see is the incoming person (one who is taking over the kiting) waits in the path of the person kiting (see 1, 2 or 3). The person who is kiting runs up to them, transfers, and then breaks away in towards the center, obviously avoiding bad stuff (TM) where possible, and that leaves the new kiter a free run straight on, continuing the last kiters path. This way we can avoid accidental transfers and stray puddles out where the raid is.

The other thing to note in this diagram is the bottom left and top right corners. Those are the 2 corners where you want to "get ahead" of garalon, so if you are kiting around those areas, those are the 2 corners you want to cut.

2) kiting path planning

I got this idea watching the strat video for Garalon. A priest kites the debuff in this way, and I have found it to work for me. I have tried to explain it to a number of folks, but I think this will help.

The person who starts kiting needs to set up. What you need to do is get out in front of garalon as far and as fast as you can. But you cant always tell where he is as it involves stopping to look and there is no time for that. So what do you do?

You pull from the short side where we usually do it, and go straight along the short wall, dropping pools as you go. Remember he has all legs active so he is pretty fast at this point, but what you dont want to do is leave huge gaps between pools cos he will be that much faster. So go along that wall and cut the first corner as shown. You can continue straight for a bit on that first long side until he does the aoe conal thing and you can then tell how far he is from you. Once you are out in front, try to drop pools in a zigzag pattern as shown. Obviously the diagram is exaggerated, what you want is for the pools to overlap slightly, that way you arent standing in one when it goes active, but you are using the least possible space. Why do you want to kite in a zig zag? Because on the long sides, it keeps him in a predictable pattern as long as possible. Use the corners and short side runs to keep out ahead of him. And keep in mind point 1).

Cheers Elu.
Nihil

Post by Nihil »

in practise the problem is that our raiders are a competitive bunch and want to push out the extra Dps afforded by the leg debuff. Truth is, this is bad for the encounter.
There is a funny thing in Garalon fight. As long as you stand where the leg was, you get Weak Spot debuff. As long as you have the debuff, you can cleave any remaining leg even without being in close proximity to it. Hence there were few times when i managed to pull high enough numbers while staying mainly on the body, because i noticed that legs were down quick enough without me running to them ;)