[HEART OF FEAR] - Wind Lord Mel'jarak

Strategies for HoF.
Erian
Raid Leader

Re: [HEART OF FEAR] - Wind Lord Mel'jarak

Post by Erian »

As I've mentioned before, I can spam Holy Nova on this fight. It consumes virtually no mana, does quite a bit of healing and damage. The downside is I have to stand in middle of melee for P1. That might be too big a downside.

P1 does seem the natural time for Heroism.
Start every day off with a smile and get it over with.
Fagan

Post by Fagan »

On the Heroism front:-

Icy Veins wrote: In addition to these abilities, each time adds of the same kind are killed, Mel'jarak gains a stack of Recklessness, which increases his damage done by 50%, and his damage taken by 33%.

From a raid DPS perspective, the best time to use the cooldown is when all adds have been killed. This is because the boss is taking greatly increased damage at this time, and your raid will have fewer distractions since the adds will not be there to cast their abilities.
This may prove to be a near-mandatory strategy, depending on your raid's DPS, as the boss' enrage timer is quite strict.
So basically in P2 he's taking 99% more damage and dealing 150% more damage so that's the phase we really need to pop hero for the sake of the extra dps on him and the extra healing needed on the tanks.

Also if we over nuke in P1 and take him down below 75% while adds are still up he'll start casting Wind bombs. This means Amber + windbomb = wipe.
'Certainty of death. Small chance of success. What are we waiting for?'

Giruy

Post by Giruy »

That damage buff is there regardless in P2, the value that we're potentially looking at is to get into P2 quickly enough that it negates the need to retain heroism for later:
Icy Veins wrote:This may prove to be a near-mandatory strategy, depending on your raid's DPS

Without seeing the theory crafting behind either, I can only speculate as to which tactic is best.
Maths problem of the day:
If George is 73 and his girlfriend is 26,
How much money does George have?
Fungi

Post by Fungi »

Raiddps seems to be the same in p1 and p2 ... some classes go nuts in p2 (single target specs).. some do awesome in p1 (AoE targetted specs). If you pop heroism in p1, the AoE will be a lot larger. I'm guessing this might be a bigger increase than in p2.

A.
If you want to be or have more than average, you need to work/learn/invest more than average!
Awesomeness, it can't be taught !
"Where the brave may live forever" - V.
Bravebeard

Post by Bravebeard »

I find it surprising if there are dps-specs that would actually gain from single target dps on this fight.

Looking at my standard source (raidbots).

The best single target spec on Feng normal:
http://www.raidbots.com/dpsbot/Feng_the ... 0/default/

Is doing less dps than the worst aoe spec spec on windlord:
http://www.raidbots.com/dpsbot/Wind_Lor ... 0/default/

I suspect the issue may be that many among us are simply not used to doing aoe damage. Traditionally I guess aoe is seen as something bad and single target as something pure.

On the other hand maybe I'm missing something essential... odd buffs or similar...
Giruy

Post by Giruy »

Bravebeard wrote:I find it surprising if there are dps-specs that would actually gain from single target dps on this fight.
P2 is effectively double dps, this is where single target dps begins to catch up with AoE specs. I dont think you can have everyone don their AoE spec (not every class has uber AoE) we'd take forever to take the boss down in P2.

Arcane mages can out AoE anyone in a single target spec if they stands in melee (can be glyphed to be little further out). Flexie's shown that he can beat the AoE'ers when he does it, it's whether its worth the risk allowing ranged to stand in melee range*.

*Has it been confirmed that this is an issue? is it only ranged that get the puddles?, if not, make all mages spec arcane and get Erian in the middle as well :)
Flexie

Post by Flexie »

Giruy wrote:Arcane mages can out AoE anyone in a single target spec if they stands in melee (can be glyphed to be little further out). Flexie's shown that he can beat the AoE'ers when he does it, it's whether its worth the risk allowing ranged to stand in melee range*.

*Has it been confirmed that this is an issue? is it only ranged that get the puddles?, if not, make all mages spec arcane and get Erian in the middle as well :)
I never AoE in this fight G. Unless you count living bombs as aoe ;)
I also think that healers/ranged going into melee is going to generate more issues than it solves. And yes, only ranged/healers get the puddle debuff.
Giruy

Post by Giruy »

Flexie wrote:I never AoE in this fight G. Unless you count living bombs as aoe ;)
Oops, my bad, ignore that, this is what happens when you read AB as AE :oops:
Rublupine

Post by Rublupine »

Hey G, not that I want to brag, but on this occasion your mixing me and Flexie up, I was the Arcane Mage in the melee on our kill.... I pulled 2nd spot on the Dps for that fight I think. My aoe left me around 8th in the DPS but the single target phase caught me up.

I'm not convinced that the Resin debuff is specific to casters, its not what the tool tip says (it reads as a random debuff). Anecdotally it does seem to be the case from my vantage point in the raid that its only ever on ranged... Can someone in the melee side confirm whether Resin pools are being cast on the Melee (perhaps its more a question of Melee players leaving the pack and dropping it better?)

Technically Mages can drop Resin with Ice Block (so Mages could join Melee until they get Resin once, drop it with IB and then leave the Melee to avoid dropping pools if they get it a second time?)
Nihil

Post by Nihil »

I have never been on the recieving end of the resin debuff, nor have I noticed anyone in the melee or tanks getting it. The only moment when pools are in the melee is when a ranged is standing with us.