[DRAGON SOUL] Morchok

Strategies for DS.
Fagan

[DRAGON SOUL] Morchok

Post by Fagan »

First boss of the last raid of Cataclysm. Looks like a pretty easy one so I would expect to kill him pretty quickly. I'll cover the basic posts here based on guides from the PTR.

http://www.learntoraid.com/2011/10/28/m ... -25-normal

http://www.icy-veins.com/morchok-detailed-strategy
  • Phase 1
  • The raid stacks at max melee range, one melee will be marked so people know where to stack, the marked person must make sure they are at max melee range.
  • The 2 tanks need to be the closest to the boss to soak the double dmg from the stomp
  • The tanks need to taunt off each other once the Crush Armour debuff gets to high
  • 7 ranged will be assigned to soak the Crystals that spawn, they will need to run and stack directly on top of the crystal.
  • Phase 2
  • Raid will be drawn into him and stunned
  • Morchok will summon spikes from the ground
  • Everyone must hide behind the spikes to avoid the Black blood Morchok casts (unless you have ways to avoid the dmg, but if in doubt, hide)
  • If you get the position right you can still dps while safe behind the spikes, if in doubt, hide
  • Once he stops casting P1 will resume, everyone needs to stack back in melee and the 7 need to be ready to take crystals
  • At 20% he will enrage, pop hero and nuke while still dealing with other abilities
'Certainty of death. Small chance of success. What are we waiting for?'

Tsumecho

Re: [DRAGON SOUL] Morchok

Post by Tsumecho »

Hi Boss Fagan,

This was on the Icy Veins guide:

"In our latest attempt on the PTR, the beams remained on the targeted players instead of switching to whoever was closest. To deal with this, do not designate players and simply have the targeted players move to the crystal. We will update the guide as soon as we get to experience the fights live."

So it may be better not to assign people.
Meow.

Daegranos

Post by Daegranos »

On the PTR the crystals targeted the closest players and the beams did switch over. not just in the LFR but also in 10m (yesterday).
It seems like icy veins is fairly outdated on morchok. ;)
Tsumecho

Post by Tsumecho »

Just stating what I'd read.
Meow.

Fagan

Post by Fagan »

Yep, I don't post things without reading them (and a lot of other strats) first ;) Haven't found that anywhere else and although Icy Veins is one of my favoured sites I'll still wait to see what happens on live before changing the strat to suit. ;)

That probably will be the case as otherwise the link beams are kind of pointless, but we'll see tomorrow. :)
'Certainty of death. Small chance of success. What are we waiting for?'

Vrugdush
Officer

Post by Vrugdush »

So, what's the verdict? Did the beams switch to the closest people? :-)

Seeing as this guy was an easy kill, we might not want to think about it too much, but I saw one potential issue. When the tanks go to hide from the Black Blood, the boss will then move quite a bit to get back in range once the cast is finished. There were still some mobs off to the side of the road that could be potential adds if we're not careful, plus there are some pillars which can cause Line of Sight issues. All easily fixed by just moving him back to a more central location, of course. When I was the active tank, I tried to be ready to move back in quickly afterwards, but this might have caused me to get hit by the last AoE tick. I guess it's up to the healers to decide whether that's OK or not.

Also, tanks and their designated healers might want to decide on a direction to hide in, so that there are no momentary healing range issues.