[DRAGON SOUL] Ultraxion

Strategies for DS.
Caireann

Re: [DRAGON SOUL] Ultraxion

Post by Caireann »

It was actually meant as a help for healers, cause the damage at the end is simply crazy and unforgiving. I don't know whether it still is, cause we have geared up substantially in the meantime, but I wouldn't throw the buff simply to stay out on one Hour if it may help you survive the horrid ending.
Fungi

Post by Fungi »

I understand it's a help for the healer, but since the buff is handed out several times, you may as well use 1 before you get the next one ... amirite? The moar dps, the shorter the fight, the less healer strain.

A.
If you want to be or have more than average, you need to work/learn/invest more than average!
Awesomeness, it can't be taught !
"Where the brave may live forever" - V.
Templaar
GM [Retired]

Post by Templaar »

My understanding of it was you only got it once, and when you're HP dropped to 0 the buff was used, restoring you to full HP, and not reapplied - unless I missed something. So all it does is double your HP for the burn phase. How that interacts with your fire mage "cheat death" talent, I'm not sure.
Fungi

Post by Fungi »

I don't know either, I assume cauterize doesn't kick in .... hopefully :)

I read on wowhead that it's issued several times, that's why I was wondering if it was a viable thing. Just preparing for Ultraxion heroic ofc :)

A.
If you want to be or have more than average, you need to work/learn/invest more than average!
Daegranos

Post by Daegranos »

You only get it once, not several times during the fight (when nozdormu talks).
If you want to stay out be my guest but don't expect to be standing for long after, you may have actually used your time loop before the hour comes.
And wouldn't it be better to soak it with ice block? I'm pretty sure you'll go splat before you get a heal with your cauterize debuff (it takes about 3 seconds after the hour for everyone to get back in range of the soakers).
Fungi

Post by Fungi »

Iceblock blocks us from all damage taken and works for Hour of Twilight yes. Cauterize works aswell (you can iceblock afterwards to lose the OMGIAMBURNING EFFECT). Even if you don't have iceblock to cancel the effect, a small heal will make sure you stay alive (cauterize brings you back to 40% then you burn for 4 ticks of 12% of your maxhealth). So a heal that's >8% of maxhealth will help me to survive. I dont think iceblock will count me as a 'soaker', since it makes me immune.

Anyhoo.. if the buff is issued only once, the idea I had is rubbish and useless. I'll keep an eye on it next time I'm there.

A.
Daegranos

Post by Daegranos »

Yeah...about that small heal, there's also the issue of ultraxions massive raid-wide damage. Couple that with cauterize and you got yourself a pretty nice deathtraps.

Iceblock still gets you hit with HoT, but applies as <immune> same as detterence, bubble, clos etc. and it does count as you being one of the soakers.
Fungi

Post by Fungi »

I'm not sure why yesterday Ultraxion caused us to wipe 5 times and NOT kill him. I have some ideas, but I generally put it down to being unfocused and 'farmnight attitude'. Only take offense if one of the former is applicable to you please, cause I know it doesn't stand for everyone. I've looked at some stats and a couple of things stood out (this is the nasty bit):

GizmoDK ... well... no need to explain what I mean really. I mentioned it during the raid and you've been numptified for it, so something needs to change. I don't know what the problem is, but I suggest trying to press the button a little sooner than at the last millisecond :)

Pots usage. Here's a stat with pots used during the Ultraxion tries:
Vitki - 7
Inumbra - 6
Daegranos - 6
Fungi - 5
Fluttermouse - 5
Ilsevele - 4
Atomicgarden - 3
Elunara - 3
Nocturni - 2
Rotkwa - 2
Vrugdush - 2
Gladion - 1
Nomadx - 1
Kharybdis - 1

No Flask
Gizmodk (who already mentioned he didn't have any on him)
Rommie
Bravebeard

My personal opinion is that everyone should always carry potions with them. We know Ultraxion is a dps check, so if you see that we wipe the first time, that should be your queue to start popping pots as much as possible. Especially if you're doing sub 30k dps here, you should use every utility you have to increase this.. and everyone that has less than 4 flasks used (apart from Vrug who only dps'd for 1 attempt) should really wonder why they're not popping them on cooldown.

I've been told that being harsh and demotivating on your fellow raidmembers doesn't help and I tend to get rather annoyed when people slack. Wednesday is a farm night, we all know that (look at the signs), but Ultraxion is basicly the only fight where a bit of effort is required. If you can't bring yourself to do just that, I wonder why you're even signing up.

A.
Sarri

Post by Sarri »

Thats odd, because I definitely pre-potted every try after the first one, but didnt always get to my 2nd Beserk for the 2nd pot. I usually pot when the timer says 2s to combat, I dont know if it sees that? I also got Fading Light 13 times over the course of the tries, Daeg was the only other person with as many occurences of it. These werent evenly spread over the fights, I definitely had more in some fights than others, which probably accounts for the variations in dps over the tries. Will log dive more when I get the chance later.
Fungi

Post by Fungi »

I just clicked Ultraxion to only see Ultraxion tries. Since tries only start when you're in combat, the prepotting probably falls just outside of the log or something.

A.