Strategies for DS.
Sarri

[DRAGON SOUL] Madness of Deathwing

Post by Sarri »

http://www.learntoraid.com/2011/11/28/m ... egy-guide/

http://www.icy-veins.com/madness-of-dea ... d-strategy

Overview

- Two phase fight
- Phase 1 - Defeat 4 of Deathwing's Limbs (2 arms and 2 wings) each on a seperate platform.
- Phase 2 - Kill Deathwing's Head, also kill adds that spawn.

Leftmost platform: Alexstrasza's Platform
Middle-left platform: Nozdormu's Platform
Midle-right platform: Ysera's Platform
Rightmost platform: Kalecgos' Platform

- Each aspect provides raid buffs. When that aspect's platform is cleared, raid loses that buff until P2.

Phase 1 Buffs

Thrall
- Provides only a passive buff Carrying Winds. This allows you to jump between platforms. You will also gain a 60% movement speed increase for 10 seconds (this buff stacks twice).

Ysera
- Ysera's Presence is a passive buff that increases all healing done by 20%.
- Dream is an ability that Ysera grants to all raid members. Players receive an extra action button, with a 30 second cooldown. Using this ability grants the player 50% damage reduction for 5 seconds.

For modified UIs:
This ability can be keybound from the Key Bindings Menu (it is called ExtraActionButton1 and it is located in the Action Bar Functions section). The button may may not display properly (or at all) if you are using any action bar add-ons, although this does not affect the aforementioned key-binding's efficiency. Alternatively, you can use the following macro:

Code: Select all

/click ExtraActionButton1
Clicking this macro (which, of course, can be keybound), has the same effect as clicking the Dream button.
Alexstrasza
- Alexstrasza's Presence is a passive buff that increases maximum health by 20%.
- Cauterize (Phase One) destroys all Blistering Tentacles (adds that spawn at 75%, 50%, 25% of the Limb Tentacle's HP during Phase One)
- Cauterize (Phase Two) lowers the damage done by Corrupted Blood (Deathwing's unique ability during Phase Two).

Nozdormu
- Nozdormu's Presence is a passive buff that increases your haste by 20%.
- Time Zone which places a type of protective bubble on the platform where the raid is currently fighting. This causes the Elementium Bolt (a type of projectile NPC that flies towards the raid) to be greatly slowed down, giving your raid more time to kill it. It also reduces the attack speed of any enemies within the zone by 50%.

Kalecgos
- Kalecgos' Presence is a passive buff that increases damage dealt by 20%.
- Kalecgos imbues your raid with Spellweaver, which causes all attacks to deal 23,000 amount of Arcane damage to enemies within 6 yards.

To begin with, we will clear the platforms in the L2R recommended order, which is:
  • Ysera's Platform
  • Nozdormu's Platform
  • Kalecgos' Platform
  • Alexstrasza's Platform

Phase 1 Strategy

- This is the same for all 4 platforms.
- Start by DPSing the Arm Tentacle or Wing Tentacle in front of you.
- Tentacle has no aggro and you have 10 secs to burn it hard before the Mutated Corruption appears.
- Tanks go to back of platform to taunt Mutated Corruption. Face it away from raid as it has a frontal cone attack, Crush.
- DPS switch to attacking Mutated Corruption.
- Tanks and healers need to be aware of the Impale cast and use CDs to protect the tank (any defensive, damage reduction CDs, and dont forget Ysera's Dream if she is still active).
- Deathwing will launch an Elementium Bolt towards the platform.
- Landing spot is marked with a yellow swirl graphic. MOVE AWAY, as the damage that the Bolt does, when landing is greater to players closer to it.
- Raid CDs like Power Word: Barrier and Aura Mastery should be used when Elementium Bolt and fires off it's Elementium Blast.
- Destroy the Elementium Bolt ASAP, before Elementium Blast ticks again, 5.2 seconds after landing.
- Kill the Bolt, kill the Mutated Corruption, go back to killing the Tentacle.
- After 90 seconds, the Arm Tentacle will spawn 6 Regenerative Bloods. If Kalecgos is up, these can be AOE'd down. On the last platform, they will HAVE to be focus-fired one by one. Tanks should tank these near the Tentacle.
- Deathwing begins casting Cataclysm. The Tentacle will take 100% increased damage while he does, so should be easy to finish off and move to next platform before he finishes the cast.
- Throughout Phase 1, at 75%, 50% and 25% health, the Tentacles will spawn Blistering Tentacles. These are immune to AOE, but we can safely ignore them as Alexstrasza's Cauterize (Phase One) ability will quickly kill them off, which is why we will leave her platform till last. Healers should be prepared for extra raid damage tho.
Phase 1 Strategy TL:DR
- Tanks: Pick up Mutated Corruption, face away from raid. Watch CD usage for Impale. Pick up Regenerative Bloods. Tank near tentacle.
- Healers: Tank healers CD rotation for Impale. Raid CDs to be used when the Elementium Bolt lands. Increased raid damage when Blistering Tentacles are up. Increased tank damage when Regenerative Bloods are up.
- DPS: Kill order priority:
Elementium Bolt > Mutated Corruption > Regenerative Bloods (last platform single target!!!) > Arm Tentacle or Wing Tentacle
- All: Use Ysera's Dream in damage phases on first platform to assist healers!!!

Phase 2

- Burn phase.
- Move to Ysera's platform (where we started).
- Deathwing starts at 20% and the fight ends when he is killed (no 10% run away)...
- Deathwing does not melee and has a single ability: Corrupted Blood. This ability deals fire damage every 2 seconds to the entire raid. When Deathwing's health reaches 15%, 10%, and 5%, the damage dealt by Corrupted Blood increases.
- Deathwing spawns 2 types of adds:
  • Elementium Fragments are spawned every 90 seconds, 3 at a time in 10-man difficulty and 8 at a time in 25-man and LFR difficulties. These small tentacles cannot be tanked and have very little health. They cast Shrapnel, which deals a high amount of physical damage to random raid members. The first wave comes 10 seconds into Phase Two.
  • Elementium Terrors are spawned every 90 seconds, 2 at a time. These big adds must be tanked and inflict a stacking debuff on the tank: Tetanus. The first wave comes 40 seconds into Phase Two.
Phase 2 Strategy TL:DR

- Tanks: 1 tank for each Elementium Terror. Respawn every 90 secs.
- Healers: Tank damage from stacking Tetanus, Random raid member damage from Shrapnel. Increasing raid damage from Corrupted Blood as Deathwing's health decreases.
- DPS: Kill order priority: Elementium Fragments > Elementium Terrors > Deathwing
- All: Use Ysera's Dream to assist healers!!!
Daegranos

Re: [DRAGON SOUL] Madness of Deathwing

Post by Daegranos »

I've heard that doing Ysera -> alexstraza -> nozdormu -> kalegcoz is easier than doing it the LFR way.
The bolt deals a lot of damage when it lands and it's safer to only let it land one time.
Templaar
GM [Retired]

Post by Templaar »

That order would seem to max our survivability. I guess it depends on how much we need the nukage.
Sarri

Post by Sarri »

I don't have my full set of notes to transcribe here atm, but Kurn mentioned that once they sorted their kill order the fight went a lot smoother. Their eventual successful kill order ended up being the same as in LFR, instead of the Icy Veins order, reason being that if they left Alexstrasza till last, they didnt have the dps to get the bloods down before they regenerate their health.
Daegranos

Post by Daegranos »

One more thing: only use the dream cooldown at the end when you are the target of shrapnel. It will one-shot you otherwise. Use it after 2 to 3 seconds after the dbm warning.
Tsumecho

Post by Tsumecho »

My view from a tank and dps perspective last night:

You HAVE to taunt on impale, or it will kill the other tank, for some reason my taunt failed last night, and yes I do have 2 Daeg, but Alae was dead before gcd cleared. Using cooldowns is very very important on this fight especially when Ysera's buff is gone and the bolt drops, last night I got bolt AOE and impaled at the same time with all cds up, one shot splat, just unlucky I guess.

Cannot stress how important it is to switch to single targets on Blistering tentacles. When we had everyone doing them it went really quick, as soon as we had people slacking we failed.

Can whoever RL's this fight in future let me know if I'll be tanking or not beforehand if possible? The reason for this is that I can then simply reforge my bear gear that is gemmed and enchanted the same as my kitty gear, so I'll get better dps.
Meow.

Fungi

Post by Fungi »

The letting know if you'll tank beforehand or not is probably only decided when signups are closed and invites are done, so the heads up will be a tad short (if at all).

Yesterday went surprisingly well. We were 23% of killing the last tentacle I think, which is basicly the last dps check. The last platform doesnt have a Cataclysm cast anymore, so we are close. We can probably get a bit more dps in here if we use pots and cooldowns on this last tentacle. However, we will also get some more gear before the next try, so we might be closer anyway.

Having 2 tanks at either side of the platform seemed to work well in picking up the spawning Corruption thing, since we didn't have people dying to it as much as before that.

All in all, a good evening where we learned we aren't very far off.

A.
If you want to be or have more than average, you need to work/learn/invest more than average!
Awesomeness, it can't be taught !
"Where the brave may live forever" - V.
Gladion

Post by Gladion »

How you were doing on time? Just remember that you can double hero in that fight if it goes past 10 min..
In regione caecorum rex est luscus.
Tsumecho

Post by Tsumecho »

Fungi wrote:The letting know if you'll tank beforehand or not is probably only decided when signups are closed and invites are done, so the heads up will be a tad short (if at all).

Yesterday went surprisingly well. We were 23% of killing the last tentacle I think, which is basicly the last dps check.
Yea I understand that, obviously just want to make sure that the raid gets the best dps they can out of me.

Best attempt I remember seeing the tentacle at about 6 or 7% before he cata'ed us. :(
Meow.

Rublupine

Post by Rublupine »

Hey guys, couple of suggestions for maximising the attempts:

1 - Get people to have target macros for the Elementium Bolt http://www.wowhead.com/npc=56262 and Blistering Tentacle http://www.wowhead.com/npc=56188, I assume '/target Elementium Bolt' and '/target Blistering Tentacle' does the trick. :)

2 - Pre-Potting on the pull, I know not everyone likes pre-potting as it burns gold and doesn't always feel very productive, however, if we run a pre-pot strategy on platform one that might allow some more strategic use of DPS CDs across the subsequent platforms which would hopefully allow us to eek out a little more DPS on the lst platform. If nothing else, just call out the pull so people can decide if they want too?

Have to remember that we made most attempts with 22 people, the best two attempts were right at the end with 25 people and I think we got closer than 23%, pretty sure we had one attempt within 10%?

Pretty sure this one will go down with ease with a few more attempts (unless the fifth platform is a killer?)