[DRAGON SOUL] Warmaster Blackhorn

Strategies for DS.
Caireann

Re: [DRAGON SOUL] Warmaster Blackhorn

Post by Caireann »

Does the flare trick actually work? I haven't seen any difference tbh if we have used it, and read up on various forums that the sapper still vanishes and it's just a waste od gcd - better use a trap in the middle of the deck, so that when he appears he is slowed asap without us having to target him beforehand.

And what about the barrages? We seem to be paying much attention to them, and running like headless chickens instead of doing some real damage on the drakes - the phase two begins after we kill 6 drakes, so that is kinda important. Do we need to have all ranged to run towards the barrages, or can we simply let some through, or have less people assigned to those?

Sapper looked like the major issue tho, apart from survivability and soaking.. and dps... and hm.. :P Well, we have a lot to do with the fight still.
Nocturni

Post by Nocturni »

Is it possible to make a makro that targets the sapper and also puts a marker on him? Or maybe hunters mark. At least I have a hard time spotting them in all the frenzy.
Cheers Noc
Vrugdush
Officer

Post by Vrugdush »

One thing I found helpful with noticing and targeting the Sapper, is assigning him his own colour nameplate with TidyPlates. I made it hot pink for extra goodness. :-)

The problem with targeting macros is that you either have to be extremely quick with targeting just as the Sapper jumps on the ship, or wait for it to reappear again, as you can't target it at all while it's hidden. You will even lose it as a target if you previously selected it. I find that the special colour helps with noticing when it reappears.

Not sure about the flares. If they worked, I didn't see it. I generally only have time to attack the first Sapper when tanking though. After that I'm otherwise occupied.
Fungi

Post by Fungi »

There is no mechanic that will get the sapper to unstealth is what I gather from various sites.

Some ideas for next time:

- Have 1 person responsible for sappers. Yes, he'll be doing a lot less damage, but make it so that he can watch the dbm timer, target the sapper and mark it (there's a couple of macros out there that do that) and can call it out on Vent. This is when everyone focusses on the sapper and leaves all other tasks. Get those stuns out.
- Ranged should be on dragons at all times (this wasn't 100% clear to me yesterday, so I probably did more damage to the melee guys than the dragons), unless there's a sapper present. If we down 6 dragons, phase 2 begins.
- Everyone should get in the big explosion thing (swirly thing is the right term I think).

A.

Here's an (untested) macro:

Place triangle on a Sapper if it exists. /rw is optional.
/cleartarget
/tar Twilight Sapper
/focus
/targetlasttarget()
/run if GetRaidTargetIndex("focus") ~= 4 then SetRaidTarget("focus",4) end
/clearfocus
/rw SAPPER
If you want to be or have more than average, you need to work/learn/invest more than average!
Awesomeness, it can't be taught !
"Where the brave may live forever" - V.
Lithasola

Post by Lithasola »

ok I know I havent been around for the last couple of trys but Ive been reading your comments guys. Yes you need to burn through 6 drakes, regardless of how long that takes your going to have a twilight elite for each drake and afaik 1 sapper per wave. ie in a wave there will be x2 drakes, x2 twilight elites and x1 sapper, I wasnt watching carefully but it sounds like we possibly get more sappers ? is this due to us taking too long to get the drakes and elites down ?

Ika Traps are a great idea in theory but people already have problems seeing the pathing AoE on the floor for the twilight elites and I remember people complaining last time that they couldnt even see the sapper because of all the frantic AoE going on in the middle of the ship to try and kill him. Was there and DK's in the raid ? Ro,,ies did an awsome job of deathgripping the sapper every time it got close to the entrance. Is the sapper visible for a few seconds before it lands and stealths ? if so would Faerie fire work ? a target with faerie fire on it is prevented from entering stealth or invisibility so this might be worth trying its not like we have a lack of druids in the raid.

Last time we had trouble getting the Elites down fast enough prompting me to leave melee on the elites alone and only soaking twilight barrages close by but making sure to get into the twilight onlsaughts. This meant having the ranged on drakes and the sapper each time, we managed to pull it off a few times having rommie slap it with chains of ice and pull it back as it got close to the cabin.

The key to this fight is everyone sticking to their individual roles and not trying to spread themselves too thin, we can ignore some of the twilight barrages probably as much as half of them but we absolutley must soak all the onslaughts. Ofc this is all P1, the couple of times we got into P2 Ranged struggled with positioning and most died from his AoE.

Phase 1-
Ranged - Soak Onslaught/Kill Sapper > Kill Drakes > Kill Twilight Elites/Soak Barrage.......(avoid as many charges as you can from Elites)
Melee - Soak Onslaught > Kill Twilight Elites > Soak nearby Barrage's/Slow and Kill Sapper

Phase 2-
Ranged - Stand >10 yrds but < 25 from boss to avoid interupts from his roar. Strafe to get out of his Conal AoE, obviously the further away fromt he boss you are the further you have to strafe meaning it will take you longer to get out of the hot zone and you'll probably get hit. Nuke Goriona until she retreats then switch to boss and pew pew while surviving as long as you can by avoiding the bad stuff (firey void zone while dragon is up and conal AoE from boss)
Melee - QQ boss till dead you guys have the easier role so I want to see good numbers from you.
Nocturni

Post by Nocturni »

Yes, the sapper is visible for a couple of seconds after landing.
Happy New Year!
Noc
Tan

Post by Tan »

There is a dbm announcement when the sapper is about to land.
It's visible while landing for not even 2 seconds, gotta be fast to catch it.
When tanking, i keep an eye on the spot where they land after dbm shouts in my face, i catch a glimpse of it long enough to be able to call out "SAPPER" on mmbl, and then it's gone again...

If your eye is not on the location where is lands when it does, u're gonna miss it. If your role is to keep it visible or slow in any way, u'll have to rely on the dbm warning in order to catch it.
ImageImage
Join us on Discord: https://discord.gg/4sBTRwT and twitter: easyLB
Irukandzji&Timmy, Tan, JellyBelly, Aica, Aiola, Acai, Turritopsis
Bravebeard

Post by Bravebeard »

One thing I think we ought to improve or clarify is what to do with the small puddles. I saw many times small puddles on the ground with people standing close to them without moving into them. I died at least a couple of times from soaking alone when I saw people standing just beside happily casting away.

I guess it is hard to adjust to start standing in crap, but...
Fungi

Post by Fungi »

I think the small puddles can mainly be ignored. As I said yesterday in RL channel: "It's not a matter of move into it, more of a matter of don't move out of it". In other words, if a small puddle is right next to you, you can sidestep to get into it, but if it's more than 10y away, don't bother with it. The big puddles and the sappers is where it's at. I don't know at what percentage the ship was yesterday when we killed him though, so it may have been a close call. In that case small puddles may get more important :)

A.
If you want to be or have more than average, you need to work/learn/invest more than average!
Awesomeness, it can't be taught !
"Where the brave may live forever" - V.
Bravebeard

Post by Bravebeard »

Yes, they could perhaps be ignored.

However if we have 3 people around a small puddle, assume all at 80% health. 2 decide to ignore 1 decide to soak. 1 will go splat. If we want to avoid splat either all 3 should ignore or all 3 should soak. That requires coordination.

That coordination I guess is easiest done by deciding in advance whether to soak or not :)