[DRAGON SOUL] Warmaster Blackhorn

Strategies for DS.
Rommie

Re: [DRAGON SOUL] Warmaster Blackhorn

Post by Rommie »

A few times the sapper did manage to get into the ship just before it died, with a few stuns they go now fine and with death grip to pull them back if the appear too close to the cabin. Out of all the trys the sapper only resisted the death grip once, but it is possible for it not to drag it back sometimes, just to be aware of this fact. There was a real difference on were the sapper died depending on how many dps switched to the sapper, on a few times it died in the centre of the ship while others right in front or almost inside the cabin.

The biggest problem I was having was seeing the charge routes though all the traps amd affects round the 2 elites, if traps are to be used to slow sappers there should really be closer to the cabin as more than often the sapper just vanished thought the area that was trapped.

Using anti magic shell reduced any aoe damage I took too next to nothing, for both the little ones and the big ones. Biggest sign of this was when other people died in the hit, while I still had plenty of hp left. I'm not sure on the cooldowns on damage reduction moves, but I would say pop them even if you think theres enough people in the zone to soak the damage. Ofc I'm sure all were doing that anyway ;)

Rom
Vrugdush
Officer

Post by Vrugdush »

For melee avoiding the charge; maybe it would help if we tanked the elites sideways rather than facing the bow. As it now, to be able to hit both, we have to stand centrally, which can make it tricky to move from the charge in time. If we have them facing sideways instead, melee are at less risk of being in their way. That does mean that the tank closest to the bow/stern/back/whatchamacallit of the ship potentially is at risk of being charged through instead though. However, if the tanks stand at the edge of the deck the risk should be small, as there should be very few targets where the tank would be in the mobs' paths.
Lithasola

Post by Lithasola »

Food for thought indeed.

Brave you seem certain that the sapper cant be handled by ranged alone, remember we have roots and slows and rommie can DG it and even a shammy or boomkin could push it back. If the ranged which make up more than half the dps of our raids cant get 1.8 million hp down in that time then theres somthing wrong, all the ranged swapping over to the sapper and controlling/nuking it should be doable. I'd also like to try 4 grps instead of 6, since we arent going to be putting as much emphasis on soaking all the small swirls just the ones easily reached. Also I agree about the traps n stuff, put them closer to the cabin not behind the adds.

Vrug I like your idea about pointing the adds back to back, the tanks would only be in danger of getting charged if people stand behind them (occasionally might happen to soak an onslaught we could ignore small swirls behind tanks. Thing Im more worried about there is if the melee could still cleave the adds like this? Do you imagine standing in between the 2 adds ? if so then if one add charges a melee the other tank might take a hit there too and if you mean standing in a sort of T shape I think you wll still get hit by the charge of at least 1 add if its going diagonally across the deck...... still its somthing to try.

Tsumecho I really would like to make it just rommie and the ranged we died several times to getting onslaught and sapper at the same time so ranged were soaking the onslaught but melee were away nuking the sapper. The shared dmg from onslaught was just too heavy for so few people and if we did survive we often died to charges or small swirls cos healers had to struggle to heal everyone back up from taking such a large hit.

Tan and Alaedon hopefully having the melee concentrate almost exclusively on nuking elites and soaking onslaughts will mean that the elites will go down much faster also Im just gonna have to shout at people for grabbing aggro and nuking the wrong adds. People should nuke the oldest adds first no dps on the new adds just landing until the first lot are down, healer aggro was an issue for me, where I was standing seemed to be a landing spot so I was close by when they landed. They often took a whack at me before you guys had a chance to taunt them. Think I died a few times to that, might be worthwhile changing positioning and having healers away from the drop zone.

Giruy yep hun that charge is evil it targets one peson and everyone in the path takes dmg, the stupid animation for the path is so small and faint its not even noticable, I tried reinforcing that you want to be loosely spread around your area in the hopes of reducing clumps of people being hit by it. Dealing with it after onslaught stack ups is another problem all I could think of was run to the port or starboard after onslaught hits, to avoid the bow to stern charge path (check me using nautical terms :P). Also the expecting to get heals thing, try and use your own dmg reduction CD's our healers are awsome but healing the whole raid up again takes time, and theres a constant barrage of dmg flying around, if you can reduce the amount of dmg taken this can only help :). As for the Conal AoE the boss does in P2, it shouldnt need shouting out theres a quite noticable animation on the ground (looks like rumbling dust on the floor similar to the magmaw fight). I cant stress how important positioning is on this phase, ideal range is between 10 and 15 yrds from the boss. Closer than 10 and his roar is going to spell lock you, further than 15 (maybe pushing it to 20) and your not going to be able to strafe fast enough to get out of the wider end of his AoE.
Vrugdush
Officer

Post by Vrugdush »

Some "art" to explain what I mean might be in order...

This is what we do now:

Code: Select all

________
  /          \
 /    ^   ^    \
|              |
|              |
|              |
What I propose is this:

Code: Select all

________
  /          \
 /             \
| <            |
| <            |
|              |

Here the "arrowheads" are the elites, with the pointy bit showing which way they're facing (approximately). So the two mobs would still be next to each other, but facing the side of the ship instead of the front.
Adjoint

Post by Adjoint »

Lithasola wrote:Food for thought indeed.

Brave you seem certain that the sapper cant be handled by ranged alone, remember we have roots and slows and rommie can DG it and even a shammy or boomkin could push it back.
I tried to use typhoon on the adds, but I didn't see any knock-back effect. It might have bugged, or I might have missed, but could easily be that they are immune to knock-backs as you could otherwise just blow them off the ship. Roots don't have much effect if the add is being dpsed.

I do like the Vrugs idea for few reasons. It might be possible for melee to cleave the drakes like that (woop for diseases), I think this can cut down on the potential damage the charges may do, and melee has less to run to help with the sapper.
Ilsevele

Post by Ilsevele »

One suggestion: with all the shamans in our raids, we could easily put Earthbind totems instead of traps.
Lithasola

Post by Lithasola »

good idea guys !

I too like Vrugs positioning gives more room for 4 ranged grps to spread around the elites. Earthbhind totems ! genius if it works properly we will have to test that one out ! And sorry Adjoint I just assumed pushbacks would work since DG works but I see what you mean about throwing them off the ship, Blizz wouldnt make life that easy for us lol.
Sarri

Post by Sarri »

From Fluid Druid forums:
The Sappers can be revealed by a Hunter’s Flare ability, in order for dps to start immediately on it, instead of waiting the 2-3 seconds.

Also – it IS possible for a Sapper to drop down on the ship a few seconds into Phase 2 and it WILL blow your ship to pieces if not handled.. Do not think it’s a glitch/bug and just leave it alone
Might help the ranged get on it faster?
Nocturni

Post by Nocturni »

From the Paragon warlock guide:

"Glyphs: ...you might want to use Glyph of Shadowflame on this one as it works on the Twilight Sappers. Best part is it works even while the Sapper is invisible so you can just estimate their path and land a Shadowflame and they'll be snared hard before they reappear."

Glyphed Shadowflame = 70% movement reduction with unknown duration
will be trying that one :-D
/Cheers Noc

PS: Tried Curse of Exhaustion (30% slow for 30 seconds) on them the past tries but not sure if it worked.
Vrugdush
Officer

Post by Vrugdush »

Does anyone have any evidence of the Brutal Strike ability from the Twilight Elite Slayers actually being a cone attack? The description for the Degeneration from the Twilight Elite Dreadblades states that it is in fact a cone, but the Brutal Strike doesn't. If it's only a single target ability, it would make positioning the Elites quite a bit easier. I would be surprised if this discrepancy had been overlooked in all the guides, but one can always dream. :-)

Edit: I checked the logs, and found a place where it looked like two people were hit at the same time. Still, it would be nice to make sure next time we're there.