[FIRELANDS] Lord Rhyolith

Strategies for Firelands.
Fungi

Re: [FIRELANDS] Lord Rhyolith

Post by Fungi »

I think this boss is just crap. I don't like the gimmick at all and I have the feeling we're just using the scattershot tactic on this one (shoot a crapload of bullets at once and hope 1 or 2 hit). Yesterday people we're dying to either the big guy heading into magma and sharing it, or random damage.

As with Shannox, it's important to avoid the lavastreams, but having a lot of groundclutter effects rolling here, that's not always very easy. I myself get hit by them pretty frequently. 1 time I heared someone say "melee out of range" while I was under the impression that we have 1 healer running with the melee most of the time (but that's probably not the case then).

Anyway, I'm not sure how we can make this fight easier for us. I know we ran with 6 healers yesterday instead of the normal 7 (I think running with less healers than we usually do is almost always a bad idea because we're crap at avoiding damage and as long as we don't hit enrages I dont see why we should make it harder), but yesterday we didn't have a lot of choice, because that was all the healers we had available. We're probably missing something obvious, cause I can't believe this guy is supposed to be this annoying.

A.

EDIT: I think 1 thing we can improve is that the leg-dps also tries to think with the guy steering. When the person steering mentions what volcano he's going for, the leg dps should help with guiding him there. If you see the call for "right leg" is going to overturn him so he won't hit the volcano, hold back a bit.
If you want to be or have more than average, you need to work/learn/invest more than average!
Awesomeness, it can't be taught !
"Where the brave may live forever" - V.
Bravebeard

Post by Bravebeard »

Would not a simple way to organise the steering of the boss be.

1 Have one person doing the thinking and targeting. (like now)
2 have a group of assitants to this person (like now)
3 all the people assigned to assisting would add a like in front of their main abilities like "/assist emesis"

If this would work, then
-Targeting would be instant and follow the "thinking" person.
-Turning would be faster
-only problem I see would be to keep the boss straight which could be solved by the targeting person switching quickly between left and right.

... just an idea, sorry if it causes irrritation
Gladion

Post by Gladion »

Would only work with ranged..
In regione caecorum rex est luscus.
Bravebeard

Post by Bravebeard »

oh, I assumed both legs would have huge hitboxes like many do these days. Are they small?
Gladion

Post by Gladion »

Yes, and not always at same place where legs actually are.. Specially when he does his stomp.
In regione caecorum rex est luscus.
Lithasola

Post by Lithasola »

As requested the link to the tactic used on thursday nights raid = http://25man.com/firelands/rhyolith-heroic
Sarri

Post by Sarri »

Some thoughts for hc

Pursuing the same tactic we began using last raid (see the link in the previous post).

Talking with a few friends about their tactics, a lot of them advocate turning him earlier than you think you need to, but turning him slower. If there are, for example, 6 people on the legs, to turn him earlier switch 4 or 5 to the other leg to get him to turn slower.

If your assignment is a leg, use only direct damage attacks (no dots at all), and pay close attention to the caller. Switch targets immediately its called. If you are not assigned to a leg, dont dps it because you are bored. Rather dps adds down, there are plenty of those around. Our problem with this is not the dps req (not yet anyway), the problem is getting him to turn properly to get to the volcanoes in time. When we can control that, we can control the fight and then look at the dps requirement and where we are lacking.
Bravebeard

Post by Bravebeard »

Following the strategy for Rhyo HC above, the way we did last time I was there, I would imagine it best to bring as few hunters as possible.

If we must stack inside minimum range the whole encounter we will not be very effective. I realise we do not stack classes, but personally I don't mind stepping out for this encounter if our strategy is helped by it.