[FIRELANDS] Lord Rhyolith

Strategies for Firelands.
Lithasola

Re: [FIRELANDS] Lord Rhyolith

Post by Lithasola »

Aha thnx Glad I was under the impression that it dmg'd people within 20 yrds and those outside of 20yrds would be fine. So its the volcanoes we need to work the most on then :)
Fluttermouse

Post by Fluttermouse »

The add waves seemed to be coming fairly consistently as 1,2,1,1,2,1 (well we didn't get much further than this so can't really say how it continues)

where 1 = fragment and 2 = spark

A prudent use of starfall can help to gather the adds in. i.e. if they chase the moonkin and moonkin and tank know where each other are it makes it that much easier for the tank to grab the adds (only one taunt target) rather than having them chase several different players all over the place. The technique I was using which seemed to be generating some promise towards the end was to pop it on the second fragment group after the spark i.e. 1(starfall), 2,1,1(starfall),2,1. Idea here is that the tank should be able to grab the first fragment group on their own because ranged are still downing the spark, but is then going to be fairly limited on movement if the last few fragments are being downed, so the starfall pull should encourage the adds in the same direction initially.

Zimos idea to move into a clear space was actually quite useful, as it avoided a lot of flying adds and players when the stomp came down. (It also makes it a lot easier to drop AOE when you don't have a big fat pair of boss feet in the way of your target reticule!)

As a ranged I'm concentrating mostly on adds, so haven't really been watching the volcanos (other than the obvious of trying to avoid them) Do we know anything about how the volcanos spawn? i.e. do they always spawn at a player location or is it a completely random spot? How soon do they start erupting? e.g. the stomp after the one they spawn on? Or sooner/later? We might be able to make life a bit easier by shuffling the ranged group's "clear space" location in a predictable path/way if the answers to any of those questions are favourable.
Syrah

Post by Syrah »

Regarding adds and volcanoes

Ranged (dps and healers) stack in the middle/centre* on the Fragment of Rhyolith tank (to maximise aoe damage on fragments and aoe healing on ranged) and move with him away from erupting volcanoes but not too much - try to stay in the middle and together.
Mages, Paladins, and Rogues can remove their stack of the debuff (Eruption) given by the ignited volcanoes (increased Fire damage taken) with Ice Block, Divine Shield, and Cloak of Shadows respectively. Healers need to be especially on their toes for players with high stacks of the increased Fire damage taken debuff (Eruption).

The Spark of Rhyolith: This add is very dangerous and does very high AOE dmg
The AOE damage will often cause lots of deaths/wipes. To deal with this:

Immediately misdirect the The Spark of Rhyolith add to a tank who will be standing away from the raid

*http://25man.com/firelands/rhyolith
The jpegs links on the guide linked above are particularly clear and useful I think. e.g.http://25man.com/wp-content/uploads/201 ... ioning.jpg
Fluttermouse

Post by Fluttermouse »

Interestingly that guide says the stomp is dodgeable by jumping, however it doesn't solve the problem of adds being thrown all over the place (what seemed to be a problem when ranged were grouped in the middle) because the adds obviously won't jump to avoid it.
Syrah

Post by Syrah »

Still not convinced it's the boss knocking his own adds back.
Concussive Stomp - Enemies within 20 yards are knocked back.
Fungi

Post by Fungi »

My tactic for steering Rhyo is as follows.

When switching from the left to the right leg, take into account that it'll take 5-10 seconds before he will actually start turning. The 'balance bar' on my character portrait (I assume everyone has it) is what I use as a reference to see how fast he'll turn. The closer to 0%, the harder he'll turn left, the closer to 100%, the harder he'll turn right. As Vitki I start out on the left leg and then switch to the right leg to make him move to an edge at the start (instead of letting him walking him straight to the opposite edge). I try to position myself in the direction I want him to move, so I can see when we need more or less dps on whatever leg. I also try to avoid stomping on non-active volcano's, but with his slow moving pace and big turncircle, this is probably not a very high priority. Apart from this I try to guide him around the edge of the platform and let him stomp on volcano's he may encounter, instead of purposely guiding him from left to right, back to top chasing active volcano's. We can probably go for that once we're used to steering the big guy.

11-10% yesterday on our best try, so I expect to down him this week.

A.
If you want to be or have more than average, you need to work/learn/invest more than average!
Awesomeness, it can't be taught !
"Where the brave may live forever" - V.
Sarri

Post by Sarri »

A few snippets of interest from kitty forums at The Fluid Druid
The more damage you put into one leg, the faster the other leg will go, which means the faster he will turn. The bar will help you gauge and it will constantly be trying to reset its position to straight, much like a steering wheel. Learning to control his movement is by far the most difficult part of the fight, since you have to learn how to move him around, then get him to only hit the active volcanoes and leave the dormant ones alone.

If you need him to make a sharp turn, there are 1 of 2 ways: Have everyone switch to him and pump some burst into the leg you need, or, while he is doing his stomp, unload as much as you can into him. If you want him to go in a straight line, do minimal damage, or split damage between the legs. ... If you need him to go straight and his bar is full to one side, just hop on the other leg for a few seconds and his turn gauge will center itself pretty fast.
Every time he steps on a Dormant Volcano he gets a stacking 2% Extra Damage Buff that gets put on the adds when he spawns them. If you only step on Active Volcanos you will have a lot less chance to get blown up from the Walls of Flame that the Craters spawn. You hitting Dormant Volcanos, creating more Craters to spawn walls, and giving the boss extra damage is worse for the healers than anything else.
Lord only activates another volcano every ~30 secs or so, so there shouldn't be any problems with the debuff getting too high unless the steering crew aren't paying attention. If you need him to turn quickly there are about 3 ways. Have all the Ranged switch over for about 5 secs and unload; Use some of your CDs; Unloading into him during a Stomp will make him do almost a 180.
Templaar
GM [Retired]

Post by Templaar »

Lord Rhyolith
  • Concussive Stomp damage has been increased on Heroic difficulty.
  • Eruption now increases fire damage taken by 5% per stack, down from 10%.
  • The Eruption debuff is now cleared when transitioning into phase 2 of the fight.
Daegranos

Post by Daegranos »

Just letting you guys know about an error in the tooltip of Meltdown (Fragment of Rhyolith's self destruct ability).
The tooltip says that it deals 50% of its current health as damage while the actual damage is 100% (The dungeon journal also says 100%).
I just spoke to a GM about this to confirm it. :)
Bravebeard

Post by Bravebeard »

I find it helps not to have view zoomed out so far on this one... at least for ranged dps