[BWD] Magmaw

Blackwing's Descent, Throne of the Four Winds, Bastion of Twilight.
Starwind

[BWD] Magmaw

Post by Starwind »

Templaar
GM [Retired]

Re: [BWD] Magmaw

Post by Templaar »

From what I gather, this one is very much a gear-check on the healers.

Joy.
Caireann

Post by Caireann »

There's nothing to check yet..
Kharybdis

Post by Kharybdis »

"some melee stay on the boss the entire time"

<looks at the calendar signups>

<laffs>

Our virtues and our failings are inseparable, like force and matter. When they separate, man is no more.

Prepare for the worst and dare the universe to disappoint you
Caireann

Post by Caireann »

Hehe, this is epic :D Found on mmo-champion.
http://media.mmo-champion.com/images/ne ... gmawww.jpg

However!
As for the Pillars of flame we've seen yesterday, I think that this guide may be a little bit better than the Tank Spot one.
So: 1 tank, 1 ranged at max distance, everyone else in the melee in one group. Seems easier, right?

Fungi

Post by Fungi »

For the above tactic to work, I'm guessing everyone needs to stand IN MELEE range. Yesterday we tried this for a couple of tries, but it was mayhem (maybe also because we tried it in 25 instead of 10). It seems that if you're out of melee range (by 1 cm) you do have a chance to spawn a flame pillar on your. This happened more often than not yesterday.

We went for the "move left", "move right" tactic. After some tweaking I think the winning strategy is that everyone that can helps out on the parasites. They only jump on a person that has the highest threat, so rogues can ToTT a ranged target and FoK away. Our first try with the rogues helping out with slowing poison and FoK in the group of parasites saw a massive improvement over the other tries of the evening. After that we tweaked a bit more and our last tries had everyone help out on the parasites apart from 2 melee that need to jump on the head to attach the chains. Having a frost dk help out on the adds help a lot, since they are probably still the hardest hitting AoE class. A slight risk is involved in them getting aggro and having parasites jump on them, so I asked Khary to stay out a couple of seconds longer than the rogues before he jumped in. We got Magmaw down to 9% this way before he hit the enrage timer. Very promising since our dps will probably go up somewhat when we get more used to the fight.

Points to improve on:
1) People need to check on the Flame Pillar themselves. Me calling it out only works so far that if you completely miss you will get a verbal reminder, but it will be too late. Since Ventrilo tends to lag somewhat aswell, my "Move" will probably arrive at the raid when they're up the air from the flame pillar already. Either DBM needs to give "BOINKS" or people need to be more aware of their surroundings

2) Chaining Magmaw to the spike should ideally happen when most of the parasites are down. This way raid dps can focus on burning down the head instead of wasting dps on the parasites.

Apart from these 2, I think it was an evening with nice progress. 9% on our first 25 of the year isn't bad at all, and I expect Magmaw to go down next time we visit.

A.
If you want to be or have more than average, you need to work/learn/invest more than average!
Awesomeness, it can't be taught !
"Where the brave may live forever" - V.
Templaar
GM [Retired]

Post by Templaar »

Mangle on the tank puts out some very heavy damage over time, healers need to be aware of this and have the debuff displayed.
More often than not, this is why we lost the MT.
Kharybdis

Post by Kharybdis »

Templaar wrote:Mangle on the tank puts out some very heavy damage over time, healers need to be aware of this and have the debuff displayed.
This happens when Magmaw can be "mounted", so the melee should jump on and chain him down as quick as possible to avoid unnecessary damage to the tank. Assigning what melee have to jump on should make it easier to manage

Our virtues and our failings are inseparable, like force and matter. When they separate, man is no more.

Prepare for the worst and dare the universe to disappoint you
Starwind

Post by Starwind »

Templaar wrote:Mangle on the tank puts out some very heavy damage over time, healers need to be aware of this and have the debuff displayed.
WOL on Mangle: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/l99q ... ell/91912/
Lithasola

Post by Lithasola »

Solo tanking this last night was fun and very challenging to the healers (hats off to you guys). I agree the mangle on me was painful but with careful use of my own CD's and calling to the healers when I needed a save from them it was very do-able. One problem I'd like to find a way around is the random melee range splat he does just as he recovers from being spiked (head comes back up). More often than not this killed someone important ie Liria or Calendil, someone needed for management of the parasites or even a healer that was in range.

Typical easy style, 2326 : says me over vent -'Ok guys this is our last attempt lets make it count'...... Kill + Achievement <3