[BWD] Nefarian

Blackwing's Descent, Throne of the Four Winds, Bastion of Twilight.
Mahmoud

Re: [BWD] Nefarian

Post by Mahmoud »

hmmm ... okaaaaaaaaaaaay ... after spending a little time researching I think there r some points where we can improve ...

1- "You want to aim to have Nef at about 75% health when phase 2 starts, at about 65-55% health when phase 3 starts." (tank spot)
ofc this depends on how comfortable the healers r .. ideally we need all ranged dpsing nef until he reaches 65 % then all switch to the adds , basically the shorter the 3rd phase the better .

2- "and your add-tank should have 2-3 healers accompanying him" healing the add tank is really really a hard job with the lots of damage and on top of that the adds tank is on the move all the time and ofc his healers shud b which makes it so much more harder.

3- also about the positioning of nef in phase 3 ... I saw most of the videos out there position him in the middle , on tank spot they positioned him on the side , with the add tank and his healers waaaaaaaay over on the opposite side .. honestly from my experience I think tank spot's way is going 2 b easier since it will give alot of room 4 the add tank 2 move .. and reduce the chance of adds catching aggro from any dps , & it much decreases the movement the dps grp have 2 make

4- about adds cc in P3 ... I also read in alot of places that dps shud cc the adds a bit .. but personally from my experience with it, it will make the job harder 4 the add tank since some adds will get cut off from the grp which will ultimately end in them running 2 the dps grp when their cc breaks ... but on the other hand I didn't read any mention off cc on tank spot which wont b possible anyway if nef was positioned 2 the side along with the dps ..

5- "Fire will spread around the room during this phase and if it encroaches upon the raid stack, the raid may need to move through the boss to the other side. It is a good idea to put a mark on one player for the rest of the raid to follow or know where to stack" http://www.learntoraid.com

6- wot's left is 4 the add tank to manage the adds and keep them away from fire and all that , which in all honesty .. I didn't do so well .

last thing since I may not b able 2 come 2day, I just have 1 little tip 4 the add tank if the poor soul was a pally, don't holy wrath the adds unless u r 100% sure that all of them r gonna b hit by it ... wot happened 2 me is that some times I use holy wrath when I'm not close to the grp, wot happened there is that some got stunned & some didn't .. which split my 1 grp into 2 grps which was impossible 2 manage.

thanx & I hope he dies tonight :)
Cengo

Post by Cengo »

Good stuff Mahmoud. Md is more beneficial than cc ing the adds imo. I had the feeling it was harder for the tank to control the slower or scatter ones around.
"The beast does not feel pity or remorse or fear and it cannot be stopped unless killed"
Copperknot

Post by Copperknot »

Placing both Nef and adds in the outer circle means (dependant upon the kiting speed) the Nef tank could find himself walking backwards into the flame that spawns on a random add as this persists for some time. In my opinion the Nef central, adds to the outer rim is a better strat I think we just underestimated the required healing for the Add tank.
Caireann

Post by Caireann »

Actually, during those last tries we had delegated 3 healers for the OT cause we noticed it was more demanding than MT. I'd say it was overall chaos that was at fault there.. we will manage better tonight.
Copperknot

Post by Copperknot »

Ok a very good video showing add tanking in P3;

1. Having a good grp of adds against the outer wall from P1 is the first step to success

2. Once adds activated in P3 wait until fire activates all the adds

3. Move ahead of the fire keeping aggro on adds

4. Add healers stay ahead of the add tank to prevent fires trailing into raid

5. Instead of rotating Nef the Nef tank will flip her 180 so head remains away from adds (Add tank will need to communicate when to flip)

6. Rest of raid should be grouped as 1 (imagine ya sitting on a fish feast)

7. Clear side for rest of raid may change following an add sleep phase

8. Add tank will need to be rdy to pickup all adds as soon as next fire activates them

9. Rinse repeat collect epics

From what I've seen and read since if the adds are woken together and moved quickly from the flames and then moved again as soon as the dbm counter gets to about 4 secs before the next fire the adds should not get the buff that enrages them and they should fall asleep after 50 secs until the next fire spawn. Additionally if the kiting is done at the very outer of the room the fires do not go into the inner circle in which Nef is standing giving a nice clear area for the rest of the raid to stand.
I just want to emphasise how important it is, to understand that the adds don't have to be realy kited the whole time.
You won't die due to normal melee hits, even if an add is close to dying and has like 12 stacks. In the first 90 seconds you want to avoid the fires at all costs and after a few trys I realized, that its way easier to only move the adds, when a new fire is about to spawn (Bigwigs has a timer for that, I started moving at ~5seconds on the timer).

A few tips:

- You want the first shadowblaze in p3 to resurrect every single skeleton. That means, positioning in phase 1 is quite important. If you just stand still and let the adds die, they lay down in a semicircle and with a bit misfortune only half of the adds will be hit by the initial shadowblaze fire. I started to keep moving in phase 1, to stack them in one place. It's a bit tricky, an efficient stategy is to move around them or simply run through them all the time (and probably stun them occasionaly).

- In p3: move them out of the first shadowblaze and wait (the fire grows, so keep distance). Shortly before the second fire spawns, start moving again and wait for the purple point on the ground, which indicates the position, shadowblaze will land, keep distance and wait etc.

- Slows or CC in general doesn't help, your priority is to avoid fires

- Ideally, all adds die in the same position (just like in phase 1) and will be resurrected all at once

- Now you start really kiting them, because the time between two fires is to short to stop moving. It may get a bit messy, but the boss should be down before to even come in danger of dying. Just try to keep them out of the fire and consider using CC (such as frost nova)
Mahmoud

Post by Mahmoud »

ahaaaa ... so I was doing it right at 1st but at those tries I had 1 healer which potentially was the problem ... and when I switched 2 keep running like a fool tactic the chaos was too hard 2 handle even with 3 healers on me ... well this is gonna b much easier ... he will die next time , I can smell the dragon blood ^^
Syrah

Post by Syrah »

Now you start really kiting them, because the time between two fires is to short to stop moving. It may get a bit messy, but the boss should be down before to even come in danger of dying. Just try to keep them out of the fire and consider using CC (such as frost nova)
So in P3 the OT only starts to 'really kite them' after the second fire?
Copperknot

Post by Copperknot »

No what he's saying here is there is no time to stop moving as the fires come quicker; at the start of P3 the add tank can afford to stop kiting as long as adds are away from fire and then start moving just before the next fire cast so they are moved from where it will land. As P3 progresses the time between these casts is shorter therefore no time to stop, and more fire on ground therefore creating a soft enrage for the fight.
Bravebeard

Post by Bravebeard »

Will we be using frost traps for P3 adds tonight? And if yes how should they be placed? (on the pile of mobs or where we believe the add tank will be taking them?)

Just asking since I cannot figure out how traps should be placed in case we'll be asked to trap.
Fluttermouse

Post by Fluttermouse »

One point for the healers on the add tank to be aware of - you are out of range of my innervates in general in p3, so if someone is getting low and needs one they're going to need to get closer to the ranged group for a short period or give me a shout at to who it is that needs one so I can temporarily move out and find you. Best time for me to move is obviously as things start to stabilise just after a crackle as being caught out of the group when one is due would obviously be bad.