[TOTFW] Al'Akir

Blackwing's Descent, Throne of the Four Winds, Bastion of Twilight.
Caireann

[TOTFW] Al'Akir

Post by Caireann »

I've noticed we don't have a separate thread fo Al'Akir.. it's high time we learned how to deal with him ;)
Kina's guide is awesome, imo a bit clearer than the tankspot's.
Fagan

Re: [TOTFW] Al'Akir

Post by Fagan »

Thanks Ika, was planning on doing this, but kinda out of action at the mo.
'Certainty of death. Small chance of success. What are we waiting for?'

Gladion

Post by Gladion »

Let's keep those groups in p1 at 3 ppl max. Getting fourth person there ment 60-80K damage to each player from chainlightning and that combined with.. well, almost anything, resulted to dead group.
In regione caecorum rex est luscus.
Fungi

Post by Fungi »

To me the problem seems to be dodging whirlwinds in p1 (they are the killers). Even on our no dps tries (cough) people seemed to die quicker than needed. Avoiding the wall of whirlwinds alone isn't very hard and should be your main focus as a dps (probably as a healer and tank aswell).

If you seem to be having major trouble doing this, I suggest that you do 1 of the following:

1) Only focus on the whirlwinds. If there's no whirlwindwall close, you can focus on avoiding the windburst, if they will both come at the same time, just eat the windburst. You will be knocked of the platform and take 25k damage, but that's better than the 100k damage you take when you get in a whirlwind (which will also carry you into another group and risk chainlighting OMG numbers).

2) Bind your keys. Looking at where you need to click will give distract you from looking if whirlwinds are spawning right beneath you.

3) You can usually see a whirlwindwall from around 10 seconds before it actually hit you (probably even more). If there's 2 coming from opposite sides.....and you see they'll hit you at approximately the same time, you have 10 seconds to get to the edge of the platform and fall off. You will again take the 25k damage, but at least you'll survive. You can also choose to eat the windburst and then walk of the platform.

As a mage .. I have it easy. I can blink forward to get into wind burst range, I can iceblock if there's double tornados and basicly I'm already at the edge because I'm a ranged dps.

I know the above tips sound like "OMG Alex, stop whining, we know what to do", but I'm just rehashing what I basicly do.

Another tip might be to burn heroism in phase 1 (since thats the phase we have most trouble with at the moment), so we get Al'Akir to 80% faster and have less whirlwinds to avoid.

A.
If you want to be or have more than average, you need to work/learn/invest more than average!
Awesomeness, it can't be taught !
"Where the brave may live forever" - V.
Fungi

Post by Fungi »

This is probably very handy if it works

"A trick that your guild can use if they are having issues with people an tornados is that Al'Akir will NOT cast windburst when the tank is not in melee range. He will keep the stacking Electrocute spell up. Because Phase 1 should only last ~2-4 tornado passes, your tank can pull away from the boss until everyone has cleared the tornadoes, healing shouldn't be too intense but if it is, you can easily just pop a cooldown since the healing in P1 is fairly low if you are spread out well enough."

So basicly this can guarantee the tank group to not get Windburst and passing tornados at the same time, just step out earlier till tornados pass.

A.
If you want to be or have more than average, you need to work/learn/invest more than average!
Sarri

Post by Sarri »

Fungi wrote:This is probably very handy if it works

"A trick that your guild can use if they are having issues with people an tornados is that Al'Akir will NOT cast windburst when the tank is not in melee range. He will keep the stacking Electrocute spell up. Because Phase 1 should only last ~2-4 tornado passes, your tank can pull away from the boss until everyone has cleared the tornadoes, healing shouldn't be too intense but if it is, you can easily just pop a cooldown since the healing in P1 is fairly low if you are spread out well enough."

So basicly this can guarantee the tank group to not get Windburst and passing tornados at the same time, just step out earlier till tornados pass.

A.
This.

Thats what I was referring to in tank channel, but couldnt articulate well enough as I had read it in passing and didnt remember the full extent of it.
Lithasola

Post by Lithasola »

Am I right in thinking that this tactic will benefit the tanks grp only ? its a great little tip and will help out massivley with tanking frustrations but it wont keep the people that the tornadoes havent reached yet safe from windburst. We need everyone to learn to dodge those tornadoes and cope with the wind bursts. Move left or right if u have to but its an absolute MUST that u get back in line with the patterned area on the floor before he shoots off a chain lightning. If someone runs off to the side between 2 grps, turns and nukes the boss without returning to position your effectively killing off 6 people by spreading the chain lightning between 2 grps.

I had healers marked up last night perhaps it would be a better idea to drop the raid marks on the floor and assign grps of three to those, then if a healer gets tossed off the side the people in thier grp arent scrambling around trying to orientate themselve in the middle of the fight.

I also mentioned to copp last night the Leap of Faith from a priest and his Heroic Stomp ?(that jump thing warriors do) might be helpful on some of the tornadoe + windburst + frost patch problems he was having. (Altho that pretty much means emesis is gonna be his shadow for the fight).

/random thoughts probably more to come
Fungi

Post by Fungi »

You are right that it will only help the tank group.

We need everyone to learn to dodge those tornadoes and cope with the wind bursts. Yep, this is the keypart, hence my small writeup above :)

A.
Copperknot

Post by Copperknot »

One of the wipes was when I had ran out to the far edge in plenty of time to get inline with a tornado gap, but got windsheered off .... if what you are saying is correct then this shouldn't have happened but it indeed did which is what I was trying to explain in /T last night
Bravebeard

Post by Bravebeard »

couple of tips

Use the following macro to make it possible to zoom out the camera more and better see the tornadoes:

/console CameraDistanceMaxFactor 4

I also noted that if you are thrown off the platform hunters can if fast turn 180 degrees in the air and disangage to skip the floating in the air phase. I'm sure this works with warriors jumpy thing, locks port thing and perhaps also with druids charge and mage blink?