1. Trial of the Grand Crusader - Northrend Beasts

Pre-Cataclysm raids.
Krid

Re: 1. Trial of the Grand Crusader - Northrend Beasts

Post by Krid »

Fungi wrote:1) a parry and thus a reset attack on the boss, causing him to hit faster than normal.
no no parry, Gormok does not do that ;
Hotfix (2009-09-09): "
Gormok the Impaler no longer attacks quickly after a parry in any difficulty.
and the log does not show any either, basically it is an impale and a hit both of >20K at the same time that kills the tank.

syrah posted a nice piece on that
you can't take 4 stacks with rising anger, however. that'd be very unsafe.

here's how we do it:

pally-warrior makeup.

warrior starts, goes to 4.
paladin taunts goes to 3. >>>Bubbles<< >>>clicks bubble off immediatelly<<<
paladin (who now is at zero stacks again) tanks 2 more.
warrior taunts. goes to 2. >>>> Hand of protection from offtank<<< >>>clicks it off immediatelly<<<
warrior (who is now at zero) tanks 2 more.
paladin taunts and goes until gormok dies. (usually 2)

this covers 15 impales. if he's not dead by then you're in trouble because the worms are up and running by now.
Looking at the log, it seems more luck that you reach P2, I would say use all your saves while tanking Gormok.

regarding the snobolds, it is a trade off. you can leave them on the melee but because they throw fire bombs ( and those seem to be hard to avoid) you will loose dps because people have to move.
Syrah

Post by Syrah »

Source: Lore (Addendum)
Hi, I'm Lore from Tankspot, and this is a short addendum video to our Northrend Beasts guide. I'll be explaining an alternative to the normal taunt rotation that helps minimize instant tank deaths in Phase 1 due to Gormok's Impale ability.

This strategy calls for two tanks trading back and forth, and two Paladins for Hand of Protection. If one of your tanks is a Paladin, a second Paladin is not needed.

You should begin with your best-geared tank on Gormok, who will hold him until 3 stacks of the Impale debuff. Positioning of the tanks as well as the rest of the raid is done exactly as normal. The only changes with this strategy involve specifically when taunts, cooldowns, and Hands of Protection are used.

Once the first tank has taken 3 stacks of Impale, the second tank taunts. This tank will hold Gormok for 4 Impales. By now, Gormok will have started to stack his Rising Anger buff to increase his damage. Minor cooldowns such as trinkets or Last Stand can be used here to help lower the chances of an instant kill. Try to time them so that they're still active when the 4th Impale lands. He Impales every 10 seconds, so for example a 20-second trinket could be used shortly after the 2nd Impale and still be active for the 4th one.

After the 4th Impale, the first tank's 3-stack will be just about to fall off, so he taunts Gormok back. The second tank gets a Hand of Protection, or in this case uses Divine Shield, to clear his 4-stack, letting the healers focus entirely on the first tank. Gormok's Rising Anger will have several stacks by this point, so the first tank should be ready to use trinkets and minor cooldowns. He'll be taking a total of 3 Impales before the second tank taunts again.

When the second tank taunts again, he should immediately use a major cooldown such as Shield Wall or Icebound Fortitude if possible. Paladins will be unable to use Divine Protection due to Forbearance, and instead must rely on Ardent Defender or an external cooldown. The first tank should get a Hand of Protection to clear his 3-stack, and remove it with a cancelaura macro, because the second tank will only be taking one Impale before the first tank taunts Gormok back again.

By this point, Gormok should hopefully only be able to get one or two more Impales out before he is defeated. The first tank should use a major cooldown also, and if possible, he should try to time it to still be active in case a second Impale lands. There's only a window of a couple seconds in which this is possible, so it will be tricky.

Using this strategy greatly reduces the chances of an instant tank death due to Gormok's Impale and melee swings landing too closely together. Both tanks will have small Impale stacks going into Phase 2, but those shouldn't be too difficult to heal through, and external cooldowns can be used to help. For more information, including our full 25-man strategy, check the Project Marmot forums at Tankspot.com. As always, if you're watching this on Youtube, just follow the link in the movie details. Good luck!

Post by Greylock »

With the use of saves/bubbles last night from our raiders in pink we got through phase one without any tank deaths, allowing for actual practice on the worms. This is essential as were are entering p2 with 25 people alive and not having to rely on battle resses.
Aleila

Post by Aleila »

On the worms, I think there needs to be some sort of positional arrangement of melee, and they probably need to be split between the two worms. Every time a melee was targeted with the poison thingy it led to 8 people getting it, which is suicide.
Sarri

Post by Sarri »

For Copper: http://avengingwrathy.wordpress.com/200 ... -headache/
This will provide a great wealth of information which will empirically define what gear sets you should wear for your progression encounter. If you are dying on Northrend Beasts to Gormok’s impale, then you can come look at those relative X an Y values and see if you need to shed or gain some armor for stamina. What is important to understand though, is that this formula is used to provide insight into those burst damage situations, not overall damage mitigation throughout the fight.
and
For now, We can go back to Trial of the Grand Crusader and analyze the parses for values of X and Y. As a community we will more than likely come up with an acceptable sample size and get some great values for effective health with respect to the gear we wear. Going forward, I would like to create a spreadsheet for dummies (read myself when I say dummies), which uses simple excel formulas to mimick Theck’s equation and allow anyone to plug in their values to give you your outputs. If the work is on the back end, you can easily create a format where you can plug in your mitigation factors, values for X and Y, and you will have your effective health. Tweaking those mitigation factors will give you a good idea on whether or not you want to stack more armor, more stamina, or even consider a resistance flask.
In general: http://www.worldofmatticus.com/2009/11/ ... nd-beasts/

Read the comments below the article for various healing strats that look interesting.
Erian
Raid Leader

Post by Erian »

Erinn did this last night with Evolution of Old, took seven tries. I'm guessing their gear level is a bit less on average than Easy's, so maybe they play better. I don't know. They had three tanks (2 prot Ws, one pala) alternating on Gormok, and sufficient dps to nuke him down with several secs to spare before worms appeared. The final kill was with everyone still alive except one dpser (moral: stay alive). They had two healadins who did awesome H using beacon on the Ts, two shammies also doing high H, a disc priest (hard to judge what they do on recount, but seemed comparable with Lux, maybe a bit worse) & resto druid. If I had to point to a difference, their Ts stayed alive apparently much more easily than Easy's (I don't know why), and their dps looked consistent.
Start every day off with a smile and get it over with.
Korchinks

Post by Korchinks »

Evolution guys are pretty much the same team playing week in, week out - therefore the team cohesion is pretty special, gear levels are in fact similar to our own (check out dlorddiablo or milambler on armoury).

On the tries we had on Wednesday night, once we had the saves from each paladin in the correct order (Grey if you could post them here it would be useful), we had a nice try or two - but we need to consistently get past Gormok to be able to undertsand and practice the worms phase more.

If any of our individual players would like advice on how Evo did it or what a particular - I find their guild leader very helpful (chocolate face, bodycount, wandrage) who is in fact and in game buddy of mine, you find him dwelling in easyalt - I hold many of their players in the highest regard.

Gratz to them on this achievement.

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one
Greylock

Post by Greylock »

First rotation of impales were handled without saves, as Rising anger has not stacked sufficiently to be a problem here. After this I used an internal save for myself (tank 1) called for hand of sacrifice (basic tank save) on tank 2 and 3. Third rotation I called for hand of protection (removes stacks of impale) on tank 2 and 3 and bubbled myself if debuff from last rotation permits to remove my own stack of impales.

Korch is right in saying if we are serious about doing this then we must consistently get through phase one with 0 deaths in order to practice the worms.