10 man hc Anub'arak

Pre-Cataclysm raids.
Luxaflex

Re: 10 man hc Anub'arak

Post by Luxaflex »

Was only able to find a log from us with 3 healers and 5 dps, where dps averaged around 4k. Does anyone have a log from last tuesday?

But comparing at how things go, we, with 6 dps, are just able to keep him from burrowing a 2nd time. You do the same with 5 dps. That's a huge difference of course. 3 healers sounds very luxorious to have in P3 :) P1 and 2 are perfectly doable with 2.
Syrah

Post by Syrah »

We should not change set up to 3 healers until the healers have had a chance to work out a strategy for a 2 healer set up and give it a good try. It's perfectly doable, I think we were just not ready for it last try. I'm thinking that if the shammies healing totem is not hitting for 450 we need extra passive healing in caster group JoL is perfect for tank /melee grp. If no one can dig the amount of healing from the totem out of the stats for the last try I'll have a dig. Frost potions: I agree with that and I'll sort it. My ideas for healing with 2 healers in P3 to follow - still reading and researching atm.

Syrah
Kharybdis

Post by Kharybdis »

We reached p3 repeatedly, that's true, but the 30% threshold was reached with 3-4 secs before burrowing on our best attempts (according to DBM, usually we managed it as the timer went off). Adding a healer, thus removing 1 D, will make that pretty hard to achieve.

We can give it a shot, but I'm afraid we'll have to ask someone to be ready to switch from H to D, if needed

Our virtues and our failings are inseparable, like force and matter. When they separate, man is no more.

Prepare for the worst and dare the universe to disappoint you
Erian
Raid Leader

Post by Erian »

Luxaflex wrote: Lux/MT/3 dps in G1, Syrah/OT/3 dps in G2. We both have an aoe heal which we will have to use. Having the OT tank adds close to the raid (with a block set) will guarantee both of our aoe heals to land. We should alternate our heals with priority: Tank - PC debuff - aoe heal - top off tank - pc debuff - aoe heal. This is imo the best way to work, even tho the aoe heals can be quite huge. Simply cannot afford the gcd's to single target heal. Biggest help here is offheals by dps: JoL, Healing totem, and discussable: feral druid's ILotP and shadowpriest's VE.

We were close to a kill yesterday but gonna need a lot of phase 3's to down him
Assuming Hpriest and Disc priest, similar:

Lux/MT/3 dps in G1, Erian/OT/3 dps in G2. Stack by group where possible. We both have an aoe heal which we will have to use. Having the OT tank adds close to the raid (with a block set) will guarantee both of our aoe heals to land. We should alternate our heals with priority: Tank - PC debuff - aoe heal - top off tank - pc debuff - aoe heal.

Notes: some sources advise Holy Nova, but I'm guessing this is with the glyph. Keep dps to 2k, tanks to 50% (dps don't panic at 2k, you have 6 seconds to live.)

Handling PC debuff. Raid is numbered 1-10. Group 1 is 1-5 in alpha order, Group 2 is 6-10 in alpha order. Lux always heals the lower number, Erian always heals the higher number. So PCs landing on players (4,6) go to (Lux, Erian). PCs landing on (9,10) same. This is 36k damage over 18 secs I believe, each.

Note to self: add 2k signal to grid, or put health bar on a log scale.
Start every day off with a smile and get it over with.
Syrah

Post by Syrah »

disc priest advice:

"Just keep Pom up every single CD of the time, Renew up 100% of the time (yeah even as Disc) Power Infusion every single CD, and save Penance for when they take spikes. That with Constant shields, even on other players so you have Borrowed Time for Penance and you should be fine."

More priest links:

http://www.worldofmatticus.com/2009/12/ ... and-druid/
Erian
Raid Leader

Post by Erian »

I had the feeling that taking 3H was 1H too many, although we didn't reach P3 and so could not test the thesis fully. An off-spec H doing D can do good damage, but maybe not to the level required for this boss. (Note to self: Mind Sear is useless for this fight, single-target does twice as much dps.) Best consistent dps I was achieving was about 3.9k and I don't think that's good enough. Snowpea's probably about the same. Lux's kitty does higher dps (about 4.5k from memory) but we lose the VE we get from Spriests. Not sure what to suggest.

The speed potions Syrah brought were very helpful.
Syrah

Post by Syrah »

2 well geared decent healers and uber dps is the way to go. 3H was a huge mistake. Runs away for the weekend while people chunter on about no cherrypicking bah blah.
May have been able to do it with 2 burrow phases with the group we had last night (3 H) but then again there was a big enough learning curve in P2 teaching peiople to kite him in hm even with the huge number of ice patches we had available and would have been even worse with only 3 patches per burrow.

Sorry but I'm getting very disheartened forever going 1 step forward 2 steps back and last week was so very close. I'd have liked to taken pretty much the same group this week if I'm honest. I was mortified to see 18 or 19 people at 1 point suddenly sign the week the kill was a definite possibility. Maybe interest is genuinely up in hm which in the long term would be a good thing but the timing was rubbish. I wonder would people really get so very put out if they were not in the group that did it first or would they be proud we were making good progress instead of slipping back week on week? Hey ho I guess we'll get him when we out gear him just like we did Yogg. SP don't make us the guild we are you know the people in it do. Being brave and changing the rules radically for 10 hm on a trial basis for say 3 months wouldn't cause the sky to fall or turn us into Godless overnight. If after 3 months there is no positive gain we can go back to the 'good' old ways.

Syrah
Erian
Raid Leader

Post by Erian »

Syrah wrote:I'd have liked to taken pretty much the same group this week if I'm honest.
Well 7 of the 10 were the same, so it was pretty much the same group. Grey replaced Charlise, and (Erian/Rotkwa) replaced (Vitki/Kharybdis). Assuming Ro and Vitki do comparable damage, the substantive change was the decision to go with 3H, which looked a reasonable bet at the time. I've heard that DKs are ideal for this fight, so the absence of a DK may have been quite significant.

I'm not aware that (Grey, Erian, Ro) as the "new" people did anything strategically doubtful.

Looking at Starwind's logs, I don't just think it is the decision to go with 3H that makes the overall dps look too low. For tries 4-7 (we changed for 8,9 and probably this was unwise) Erian's dps is not far off the rest and the VE is a bonus. Some other Ds had harder tasks ofc, but maybe there is room for improvement there too.

If we had gone with 2H, Syrah would have been rolled out on SP. I agree that's not ideal because the druid heals are nicely complementary to priest heals, either disc or holy. Probably this is not a fight that would have suited 2 priests alone (though it would have been fun to try). If/when we look at detailed plausible raid set-ups for this fight, this is one thing we should look at.
Korchinks

Post by Korchinks »

Erian wrote:The speed potions Syrah brought were very helpful.

I thought eveyone carried pots to pop, I usually do mine during heroism.

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one
Luxaflex

Post by Luxaflex »

No one did something wrong. People's standalone dps was probably ok, but can be up much higher if there would have been more complimentary buffs. We got him to 1st burrow around 66-69%, as where last tuesday, this was around 50-54%. That's a HUGE gap, ensuring only 1 burrow. Makes life so much easier :). Charlise/Kharybdis both really benefit from Gladion being present. Vitki and Giruy probably do compliment each other well too. Looking back - and this no criticism in any way - having had an ele or resto shaman instead of an enh shaman yesterday would have improved overall dps by a huge amount as well.

Healers need to really learn phase 3. Can only do that by consequently hitting phase 3. The kiting in 1 burrow will not be a problem, even to new people, as long as dps is high enough to ensure only one burrow: more patches can be used that way.