Pre-Cataclysm raids.
Greylock

Icecrown Citedal 6 - Rotface.

Post by Greylock »

Abilities

Little Oooze

Sticky Ooze

1sec cast.

The Ooze sprays a puddle of Green Goo near the target. The Green Goo inflicts damage every 1 sec and decreases move speed by 50%.
As stated, a small puddle will spawn near, not on the target. Do not stand in it.

Weak Radiating Ooze

The Radiating Ooze inflicts damage to enemies within 10 yards every 2 sec, it will also cause the Little Ooze to merge with
other nearby Ooze.

When the 2nd Little Ooze is dropped in this aura, it will merge the two creating a Big Ooze.

Big Oooze

Sticky Ooze

1sec cast.
The Ooze sprays a puddle of Green Goo near the target. The Green Goo inflicts damage every 1 sec and decreases move speed by 50%.
As stated, a small puddle will spawn near, not on the target. Do not stand in it.

Radiating Ooze
The Radiating Ooze inflicts damage to enemies within 10 yards every 2 seconds, it will also cause the Big Ooze to merge with other nearby Ooze. When Little Oozes are dropped in this aura, it will merge the two, creating an even bigger, Big Ooze which builds up charges of...

Unstable Ooze

Increases damage dealt by 20%. Stacks to 5. Applied each time an ooze merges with Big Ooze.
Self explanatory. When 5 stacks are reached the Big Ooze freezes in place and casts...

Unstable Ooze Explosion

Launches multiple bolts of ooze, inflicting damage to anyone caught in landing area. This is caused by the Big Ooze merging with other oozes 5 times. The Big Ooze is destroyed in the process. After the 5th Little Ooze is absorbed, the Big Ooze will freeze in place and cast this ability, shooting out several "rockets" of ooze that have travel time to where the targets were standing at the time of the cast. Immediately after the "ooze rockets" are launched, the DPS, healers, and MT must scatter from the center, effectively preventing this damage. The OT seems to have a "homing" rocket launched at him that is unavoidable.

Encounter Mechanics

Ooze Flood

The Ooze Flood inflicts 6338 to 6662 damage every 1 sec and reduces move speed by 10% for 5 sec [speculation] stacking up to 10 times [/speculation].
Throughout the encounter, 1/4 of the room will be flooded with ooze at a time (NE, SE, NW, or SW). There is a pattern to this. Lets say the first sector flooded is NE. The next will be SE, NW or SW. If the next is SE, then the third sector will be NW or SW. Lastly, if the third sector is NW, then the last will be SW. After four floods, the pattern will reset but not necessarily in that order. So, the sector that is flooded is random, but cannot be flooded again until each other sector is flooded in turn.

With this positioning, the only raid member that will have to contend with these is the Off/Kite Tank. Ooze Flood is easily avoided this way.

Mutated Infection

Instant Cast. 15sec frequency.
Inflicts damage every 1 sec. Reduces healing received by 75%. When the Infection is removed a Small Ooze is created.
Similar mechanic to Grobbulus, but instead of spawning a poison cloud, you spawn a Small Ooze. Do not "insta" cleanse this. Read below for strat.

Rotface

Slime Spray

1.5sec cast, cone. Approx. 5sec channel. 20sec frequency.
Raining Green Ooze. Deals Nature damage to enemies in cone and deals damage to enemies in a cone in-front of the enemy every second while channeled. This is a basic channeled cone that is targeted at a random raid member. Though it is only a 1.5sec cast, Rotface will first turn, target, and then begin the cast, which gives you another second or so. There is also a raid warning for those not paying attention to the bosses movement. Everyone but the targeted person must run to the MT's side of the boss. Once casted, the targeted raid member should also run out of the channeled cone. When over, everyone should reset their positions. Handling Slime Spray in this way removes the RNG out of what direction the cone will be cast, and guarantees the tank will never be hit by it.

Offtank note; macro to announce timing of cleanse needs to be created.

Strategy Highlights

Offtank will use first flooded quarter as starting zone to kite oozes from, using the next flooded quarter as the kiting direction.

Hunter aspect to help with raid damage.

Do not cleanse mutated infection early.

When cleansed move back to raid asap to avoid AOE.

When targetted for Slime Spray do not move until cast has finished and channeling has started.
Gladion

Re: Icecrown Citedal 6 - Rotface.

Post by Gladion »

Valnoth, Lead World Designer wrote: The changes made to Rotface were an effort to fix a bug that fell through the cracks in development and testing. The previous iteration of Rotface in 10 player difficulty used (and still uses) the same timer as the 25 player difficulty version when dispersing its Mutated Infection ability.

What this means, plainly, is that a disproportionate number of people were being put out of the fight near the 30% mark in 10 player (by a large percentage) versus 25 player, making the entire fight much more difficult than intended.

Obviously if you severely outgeared the fight, none of this mattered to you. The HP change will have no effect on your 10 player clears. You will, in fact, still kill Rotface.

The 25 player version of Rotface remains unchanged.
In regione caecorum rex est luscus.
Sarri

Post by Sarri »

Interesting notes here:

http://rhida.ch/2010/01/07/he-can-go-rot/
I wish I could decisively say “ok do the encounter this way”, but I can’t. Instead I’m going to take a page from my own book when we were learning Anub’arak, and tell you what not to do when offtanking Rotface.

1. Don’t run in a circle around the room

The tanks rupture in a random pattern, with the only constant being that a quadrant won’t flood twice before the other three flood once. Kiting counter clockwise around the room isn’t going to cut it. Clockwise, neither. You need to half kite; then, once a quadrant clears, bee line for it.

2. Don’t stop moving when kiting the big ooze

The big ooze moves slowly, but not so slowly you can RP walk away from it. You do not want to ever be in melee range of the big ooze, so don’t come to a halt letting someone catch up to you. The room is a circle, your raiders should be smart enough to run a straight line from where they were to where you will be, not try to follow you as you run around the room.

3. Don’t run through a tank spill unless your Hand of Freedom is off cooldown

The spill will eventually slow your movement speed by 50%. You don’t want to run through it unless HoF is available. Otherwise the ooze will significantly catch up to you.

4. Don’t run in front of the slime spray cone

When you see that slime spray emote or DBM warns you it’s coming, check your position and make sure you’re not directly in the line of fire.

5. Triage the dangers of the fight correctly

In terms of deadliness: big ooze melee > running big ooze through raid > running over the tank spill. When presented with the necessity to quickly get across the room and one of those three has to happen, always choose running over the spill if (like said above) your HoF is off cooldown. If not, then skirt the edge of the spill (yes, giving aoe damage to the raid closest to the big ooze, though it won’t hurt that much) until you are safe.

Rotface is a rough fight, fraught with perils galore. As the offtank, yours is the hardest job of the fight–all the responsibility of the raid’s success rests on your plated shoulders.

and more here:

http://avengingwrathy.wordpress.com/201 ... festergut/
That was my first mistake. Our warrior was trying his best to kite the oozes, but was getting hit like a truck and went down. He got a battle rez and went down again shortly thereafter. At this point we made a bit of a switch. I went on the adds and our warrior went on the boss. The adds were a bit easier for me to handle between pursuit of justice, avengers shield, and my cds. The most difficult part of the first few kites is getting the first two oozes together. This is where your trusty mage comes in…
PRO TIP – The small oozes can be frost nova’ed by mages, if you are having problems with the first two oozes merging into a Big ooze, have a mage follow out the first person who gets mutated infection. When you cleanse it off of the person, the mage frost novas and the ooze is rooted in place. All you have to do is have the second infected victim run on top of the frozen one, and you get an instant Big Ooze
Once I moved onto ooze duty, the fight got a lot smoother. There are still a few more things you have to know about the off tank job. First off, the ooze floods are not completely random. They will only happen in a section of the room that has not already had a flood. This means that you want to start away from the nearest ooze flood and run towards it. By the time you get there, it should have disappeared, the ooze should have about 3 to 4 stacks on it, and you should not have taken any damage. If you have a problem with the randomness of what corner of the room has an ooze flood, it is better to freedom yourself and run through the ooze than to take the big ooze into the raid (as they have a AoE damage aura).

and even more... here...

http://paladindivineplea.blogspot.com/2 ... -crib.html
  • You’re basically a NASCAR driver for this fight, though you’ll dodge slime pools better if you go clockwise instead of counter-clockwise.

Paladin tanks kiting can cleanse the poison themselves when they get close so they oozes merge nicely – the DOT hurts though, so pick your damage.
Last edited by Sarri on Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Inserted notes...
Erian
Raid Leader

Post by Erian »

Assign one person as dispeller.

Rotface seems to pivot on one leg when doing slime spray. Stand on that leg, you will never get the spray. Just check the dbm announcement, there is plenty of time to move if you need to.

The dbm special announcement for slime spray might be off by default, go turn it on.

We could not decide whether 3H or 2H + Spriest was better. I think they are about the same.

Aoe T for kiting looks a better bet.
Start every day off with a smile and get it over with.
Copperknot

Post by Copperknot »

7% our best attempt so far in 10 man, but this is extremly hard for a warrior OT, I can envisage with a couple of hunters with MD's will be made a whole lot easier but with only 1 hunter in the run MD's not that frequent and if hunter dies pffft healer aggro takes over very rapidly. Very much suited to DK tanks due to the diseases and ranged attacks they can do.
Templaar
GM [Retired]

Post by Templaar »

Copperknot wrote: in the run MD's not that frequent and if hunter dies pffft
It helps if said hunter doesn't stand in the poison slime ofc :twisted:
Copperknot

Post by Copperknot »

Some tips:

First person with infection moves to OT and stays with him

OT put threat on small slime (will not register over the infected persons aggro)

Second person with infection heads to the first slime, as soon as the 2 combine THEN they return back to the boss to DPS

OT then kites big ooze BE AWARE this is not always a continual circle but depends on ooze pools

Anyone who now gets infection runs directly to the OT to get in between the OT and the big ooze DO NOT return directly until your ooze blends (having a top down view of the fight and zoomed out will help you spot the OT easier)

When heading to the OT with your slime do not run to him directly if the area is 1. flooded 2. About to be flooded (taps are on) instead head to a clear area ahead of the OT

Once 5 oozes are combined don't panic wait until the slime rockets go up before moving

rinse & repeat
Fungi

Post by Fungi »

How did this guy go yesterday ? I know you had Spectaculus tanking the slimes (at least, that was the idea when I logged of at 21h :)). Since he's the only DK tank we have at the moment and I think they are most viable at tanking the slimes, I'm curious as to how it went.

A.
If you want to be or have more than average, you need to work/learn/invest more than average!
Awesomeness, it can't be taught !
"Where the brave may live forever" - V.
Giruy

Post by Giruy »

Our best attempt was getting the boss to 10%.

Theres also not a general concensus at to when to run from the explosion, we tried both approaches last night a) Waiting until you seen the spew or B) running when DBM said so, both require people to be aware of whats happening and Easy being Easy it's not always the case unfortunately. My preference is is to watch the spew start to erupt then run, all you have to do is swing your camera to where the blob is and watch and run when it starts.

As the night wore on though there was a marked improvement and I would expect him down the nexttime we raid.

Spec started off tanking the slimes and was changed out, cant remember why though.
Maths problem of the day:
If George is 73 and his girlfriend is 26,
How much money does George have?