Icecrown Citadel 7 - Professor Putricide.

Pre-Cataclysm raids.
Bagheeris

Re: Icecrown Citadel 7 - Professor Putricide.

Post by Bagheeris »

So, what are your opinions on the new tactic (staying at green ooze spawn place)? I cannot compare it to previous <Easy> results, but i wasn't too enthusiatic, spending so much time flying in cat form :( . When the green ooze targets someone in melee, there is little time to deal any damage to it since it explodes quickly. When i get to melee range after knockback, i have time to land just a few hits before knocked back again. Plus i have a feeling that ranged are closer than they needed, probably to keep in range when the boss moves up and down, away from flasks etc. As a result, killing green oozes takes way too much time, there's little time to dps boss and we are running into berserk timer. (Disregarding mistakes of which i did my share yesterday, sorry.) Regarding the maintankading thread and the comment "about 2 minutes faster than the alternating side method": it shows they have already sufficient dps for classic strat. We may be possibly too slow switching dps to green ooze. I know i sometimes delay the switch when it "spawns at a wrong moment" in my rotation.

One unrelated tip from maintankdin thread:
And the last thing for the abom have your resto druids spec into Revitalize its a great raid buff but it keeps the abom pretty much topped off with energy so they can drink the pools up asap.Before the 1st green slime came out our abom had 100 energy.
A friend is someone who knows all about you but likes you anyway.
Karast

Post by Karast »

Our raid composition last night was a little problematic - was very melee heavy and this fight favors ranged - melee spend too much time chasing the damn oozes and can't really max their DPS.
From what I observed the first phase was executed perfectly, we had it completely under control. Second phase was way too long. So, maybe we can try putting some (1-2 ?) melee DPSers on the boss at all time with the intention of burning him down quicker.
Giruy

Post by Giruy »

Theres a few reasons why overall its a better tactic Bagheeris:

1. Melee can dps immediately the green add spawns, If the abomonation has got the stun in quickly enough we improve dps significantly on the add (this part is critical).

2. Ranged require little to no movement (barring orange ooze kiting and dodging the thrown oozes).

3. Slime pools tend to be localised around the melee and ranged groups, seeing as the groups are generally more static, the abomonation requires less running around.

So all in all, hugging the green area results in significantly less running from side to side by all involved which in turn gives us greater up time on the adds/boss.
Maths problem of the day:
If George is 73 and his girlfriend is 26,
How much money does George have?
Syrah

Post by Syrah »

Did try this (and it worked on 10 man) but it appears to have been hot fixed. No harm people trying it again however; set abomination as focus try throwing a few rejuvs on him.

Summermist will need to respec. He is haste capped now (I think) and can spec out of CF and into revitalize. Oh and maybe change those glyphs of rej (under 50% rej glyph not really optimal) and innervate for sth more useful like rapid rej and swiftmend, or nourish glyphs.
Karast

Post by Karast »

Correction to self: Need 8 people at range in the 25men raid and not 4, this might explain the why the oozes are targeting melee.
Bagheeris

Post by Bagheeris »

Giruy, no offense meant but i've read couple of posts from the thread linked by Karast and i can understand the reasoning behind. However i experienced the side-switching tactic on 25man and i'm confident it can work too. That's why i was asking on your opinion specifically whether static side tactic does work better for Easy. It wouldn't have been not be the first time when some tactic hadn't worked for us. And if you are sure this tactic works better then anyway we need to ask ourselves what to improve, such as burst damage on green ooze.
Korchinks

Post by Korchinks »

On the tries we had (Wednesday) using the same tactic we had last night (Sunday) we got professor to 8% - but that was with a better balanced team (albeit some people lacked DPS) overall the strat has proven with the right raid composition it works for us.

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one
Giruy

Post by Giruy »

Agree Bagheeris that the normal strat should work, for one reason or another though it didn’t, to the point where I can’t remember if we've ever got into P3 on this boss in 25 (maybe we have but I can bet it wasn’t with an awful lot of players alive at the time).

The moment we swapped there was an instant improvement and consistent P3 attempts; purely from an observational point of view this would indicate to me that the stack tactic is suited to us.

I will add that I think the main issue we have using that standard tactic is damage, especially ranged damage, whether its slow targeting/range issue etc by the time the add gets to the 1st target it usually still has a significant amount of health, this results in 2 or more people getting targeted and the subsequent throws in the air, this then leaves little time to not only move to the other side but to also get a some dps time on the boss.
Maths problem of the day:
If George is 73 and his girlfriend is 26,
How much money does George have?
Sarri

Post by Sarri »

http://thefluiddruid.wordpress.com/2010/03/08/pp-down/
Fight tips:
  • Pick a strategy for experiment management and stick with it. We kept PP permanently on the green side; this let our melee stay stacked up to take a hit, or move with the slime and then jump in front for ranged. Gas clouds were easier; the target kites it past PP so the melee can break off and kill it quickly without having to run halfway across the room. It sounds complicated, but it’s not too difficult after a few attempts.

Managing phase transitions are a pain, but it’s important, especially going into P3 (you lose the abom, so no slows on the add). We were stopping DPS on PP at 36%, which worked most of the time. If you’re having problems with this, try splitting DPS with PP at 36-37% while a slime’s up. An add at 20% health isn’t a big deal, but an add at 100% health will probably wipe your raid.

Tanks really have to be on the ball for this one, kiting wise. The slime’s easy to stay out of; the choking gas bombs, not so much, but make the effort. Melee DPS will be target switching so much that they’ll have trouble tracking the gas bomb timers (I know I did).
Feral tips:
  • Bears make for a great OT here, since they can go cat and dps P1/P2.

Use your speed! You should be in on every slime stack (unless your strategy dictates otherwise). Pop Barkskin to help mitigate the damage. Also try to position yourself so that the explosion sends you back towards PP; if your DPS is reasonable (and it should be if you’ve made it here), the slime should be mostly dead at the first explosion, so you can just switch back to PP; this will save you some time.

Save FC/Dash for getting back to PP. Dash is also great for kiting the Gas Cloud (If it’s up, pop BS to help with the damage)

Berserk in P1 and on CD in P2; save the third for P3.

Do NOT get hit by Choking Gas in P3. The tank should be kiting away from them, but he’ll be constrained by slime. They’re almost impossible to spot (IMHO) if you don’t see them spawn, so keep your eyes open when the timer goes off.

I didn’t on the kill, but in retrospect, one of our previous wipes might have been a kill if I’d used Tranquility. With NI, you’ll be kicking out 10K hps for 8 sec. Great for keeping the tanks propped up for the final 5%. It’s especially good to do this if you get hit by the Choking Gas, as you’re pretty useless dps-wise until that wears off.
Karast

Post by Karast »

Tank rotation:
I don't remember where, but I saw some math regarding the tank rotation on P3 so I went and reproduced it using Excel.

Estimations:
Mutated Plague: Shadow damage to the raid every 3 sec. Stacks.
Increased expo rate (see below avg. values taken from our WoL)
Avg Values per stack
1 - 300
2 - 700
3 - 1700
4 - 4500

Tested 4 rotations:
1-1-1-2-2-2-3-3-3-4-4-4
2-2-2-4-4-4
2-2-2-3-3-3-4-4-4
4-4-4

Raw data:

Summary data:

Full data for best options:

I believe that it's quite obvious that you want to keep the stack as low as possible => best rotation is 1-1-1-2-2-2-3-3-3-4-4-4 by a small margin over 2-2-2-3-3-3-4-4-4.
The other 2 are more taxing, so 2-2-2-4-4-4 should be ruled out - it puts too much stress on the healers.
After ~100 seconds all rotations even out but as you can see from the last graph - 100 sec is basically the time when lots of people - especially healers - will start dieing, as the damage per 3 sec is ~8K to the whole raid which is simply too much for the healers to handle.

Now, the only thing that we have to worry about is perfecting the taunt rotation to work with 1-1-1-2-2-2-3-3-3-4-4-4
(I'll take an educated guess that the boss is not flagged with the Taunt-resistance flag so we won't be seeing taunt immunity issues).

Another note, we can have the Paly tanks (I don't know if it's viable for healers) spec into Divine Guardian for the added 20% damage reduction and pop it toward the end of the fight - however this is a bit tricky cause that tank will need quick healing to get him back up before he dies to the Plague DoT.