Blood-Queen Lana'thel - Bite chart

Pre-Cataclysm raids.
Fungi

Re: Blood-Queen Lana'thel - Bite chart

Post by Fungi »

Yesterday the problem seemed to be that more often than not a melee would be bitten first. Apparently the first bite goes to the first person below the 2 tanks on threat. This will never be me, since I dont blow my cooldowns right at the start and thus will not out-threat people who do (the times Vitki got it was when he blows his trinkets straight from the start). It may be a good idea for melee to save your trinkets till right after the first person is bitten, so the first bite lands on a ranged ?

Reason I dont blow my trinkets is that they're worth double the value when I'm bitten due to the buff.

A.
If you want to be or have more than average, you need to work/learn/invest more than average!
Awesomeness, it can't be taught !
"Where the brave may live forever" - V.
Karast

Post by Karast »

The reason most melee blow trinkets from the start is that it's the only time they can guarantee that they will enjoy the full duration of the buffs - after that it's always Pact-Shadows-Pact-Shadow...
Safest bet will be to ensure that the first player bite goes to you no matter what.

(also possible that she won't bite you cause she can't see you...she is tall after all :lol: )
Bagheeris

Post by Bagheeris »

Fungi wrote:It may be a good idea for melee to save your trinkets till right after the first person is bitten, so the first bite lands on a ranged ?
IMHO not really needed. I think Zuzza based his comment on old timers. Currently, Queen bites someone at 0:15, the debuff expires after 60secs so around 1:20 a second person must be bitten. Air phase comes at 2:00 so there are already 2 bitten players at the time. Generally, you want one ranged and one melee among the first 2 bitten so that melee can spread debuff among melee group and ranged ditto. If the Queen bites a melee 1st, just have him/her bite a ranged player and vice versa. Btw the addon seems to follow this logic.

(Debuff gives +100% damage output. Air phase takes ~10secs. The difference between having a melee player with the debuff and having a ranged one is ~10secs worth of one person dps, say 100 000 damage dealt. Bosskillers say she has 58.7 million HP in 25 man.)

EDIT:
Bosskillers wrote:Blood Mirror - This is a debuff cast by Blood-Queen Lana'thel onto the tank, which causes the tank to then debuff the player closest to him/her as well. It links the two players with a glowing red rope, and causes all damage done to the tank to also be reflected onto the person closest to them in the form of shadow damage. If the tank mitigates or absorbs a hit or part of a hit, the mitigated or absorbed damage won't be reflected through the Blood Mirror at all. Hits that are reflected through the Blood Mirror still have the normal chance to be mitigated or absorbed by the player soaking this damage. The link persists throughout the encounter, always between the tank and the player closest to the tank, so players who aren't planning on taking this debuff should stay well away from the tank at all times. The player who is planning on taking this debuff should be DPS'ing in tank gear, and standing as close to the tank as possible without actually getting in front of the boss and causing parry-haste issues.
Sorry about my statement yesterday that overaggro causes ppl to get the link, it seems to be purely positional. Anyway, don't charge in before both tanks.
A friend is someone who knows all about you but likes you anyway.
Giruy

Post by Giruy »

Fungi wrote:Reason I dont blow my trinkets is that they're worth double the value when I'm bitten due to the buff.
The overall dps value though of blowing them at the start far outways any need to hold onto them.

This is a 6 minute fight so:

0min Blow Cooldowns
2min Blow Cooldowns
4min Blow Cooldowns
Heroism in final phase with a potion of wild magic.

The Ideal situation is that you grab the 1st bite.

What you're advocating is saving them and waiting until you get bitten (you wont be the 1st bitten thats for sure), you will then have a minimum of a 1minute wait and even up to 4 minutes depending in what cycle you get bitten in (I assume that if the 1st bite is melee that they then choose a ranged and vice versa), saving cooldowns until you get bitten is an overall dps loss in my opinion.
Maths problem of the day:
If George is 73 and his girlfriend is 26,
How much money does George have?
Fungi

Post by Fungi »

Gir, it may be a dps loss, but it was my tactic, since I made the bite order in Vamp (and put myself pretty far up ofcourse). I didnt do any math, but it seemed to me that holding on to my cooldowns for 1 minute before popping them would mean I'd get 2x a 3 minute cooldown (mirror images yay) inside the 'bitten' zone, instead of 1.

I may be wrong ofcourse.

A.
If you want to be or have more than average, you need to work/learn/invest more than average!
Karast

Post by Karast »

Bagheeris wrote:...overaggro causes ppl to get the link, it seems to be purely positional. Anyway, don't charge in before both tanks.
It's important to note that it is applied every several seconds, so melee need to watch their positioning at all time.
Giruy

Post by Giruy »

Fungi wrote:Gir, it may be a dps loss, but it was my tactic, since I made the bite order in Vamp (and put myself pretty far up ofcourse). I didnt do any math, but it seemed to me that holding on to my cooldowns for 1 minute before popping them would mean I'd get 2x a 3 minute cooldown (mirror images yay) inside the 'bitten' zone, instead of 1.

I may be wrong ofcourse.

A.
Agree fully about MI, its optimal to keep a hold of that a while longer, the other cooldowns though are on a 2 minite timer and they slot in nicely with the timing of the fight. Theres probably a few variations that can be thrown in their as well.

Ideally you want to control who gets what at the start, with highest dps getting the 1st bite to lowest being the last to be bitten in round 5.

A good way to manage this is to ensure that NO one blows cooldowns for the 1st 10 seconds bar the person thats been desiganted 1st bite and take it from there, at the moment is sounds like everyones going hell for leather at the start, that to me sounds like a lack of control.
Maths problem of the day:
If George is 73 and his girlfriend is 26,
How much money does George have?
Karast

Post by Karast »

There's another add-on that interacts with Vamp (the add on used by the RL), its called VampArrow and it will put an arrow on your scream that will help you locate your bite target (assigned by the vamp add on).
Curse
Fungi

Post by Fungi »

Ok, yesterday we got her down ! (yay !)

It took us to the last try of the evening (as usual), and we lost 20 people in the enrage, but we managed to do it. The Vamp bite order seems to work like this:

First person to get the bite will spread it to the melee group (if it's not a melee). Kharybdis was the first in the melee group and he was bitten most of the time. If a melee is bitten first, he will bite the first person from ranged group A for the first bite. The 2nd bite will then be the first person in ranged group B and another melee. Then it'll spread accordingly. I'm assuming it prio's melee to bite other melee and ranged to bite ranged after the bite is spread in the first 2 rounds.

The key to winning this fight is NOT DYING. If you get linked, you move to the middle fast. On the airphase you spread out and hope for heals (or use the healthstone/pot/iceblock whatever). Keeping as many people up that are bitten is the key. They do twice the amount of damage when bitten, so losing 1 early (I died once before I could bite my target while I was the 2nd person bitten) will make it that you won't make the enrage.

1 bit person dying, means 2 less 'double dps' on the next bite and 4 less 'double dps' on the bite after. Good job on the kill. It was messy, but that'll improve when we improve on the not dying.

A.