Icecrown Citadel 10 - Valithria Dreamwalker

Pre-Cataclysm raids.
Aleila

Re: Icecrown Citadel 10 - Valithria Dreamwalker

Post by Aleila »

Agree with Karast, a friend of mine in 'my old guild' ( :twisted: ) also said they just have tanks on zombies and DPS burn them down quick.

I also asked Lilendra but I think he's too busy looking at his numbers to notice what he's hitting :roll:
Giruy

Post by Giruy »

If they're tankable then all the better, means more dps. Frost is pretty poor for anything other than crowd control.
Maths problem of the day:
If George is 73 and his girlfriend is 26,
How much money does George have?
Lithasola

Post by Lithasola »

Dont get me wrong the Zombies are totally tankable (altho multiple stacks of the debuff hurt like a mofo) its just a shame about the squishy melee standing near the tanks nuking the abom/mage/or whatever else your tanking...they get blown up when the zombie dies :lol:
Karast

Post by Karast »

Not saying that we should aim to kill the melee :twisted: but we can tank them and have the ranged simply kill them quickly - it will keep the mages in the fight and will make sure the zombies are down quickly.
Kharybdis

Post by Kharybdis »

Fair enough...

Just be sure to call on Vent when you're tanking a zombie, that way we can get the hell out of there and go kill something else, preferably on the other side of the room ;)

Also, be sure to interrupt the archmages with other ranged, since Kick and Mind freeze work only in melee range :)

Our virtues and our failings are inseparable, like force and matter. When they separate, man is no more.

Prepare for the worst and dare the universe to disappoint you
Bagheeris

Post by Bagheeris »

Fagan wrote:Tips for melee:
1. Press your V key so you can see enemy health bars, sometimes the suppressors were underneath her wings and one or two melee ran straight past them.
2. Don't hit the Blazing skelies until they've got into LOS and range of the ranged, otherwise they will start casting and we'll be dead fast.
3. Be very careful of AoE abilities if a Blistering Zombie is near by, it's very easy to pull aggro off the mages/kiters and get one shotted. Also be careful of aoe abilities after the 'patchwerk' mobs are killed and the worms spawn, they hit hard and there's lots of them, give the tank a second to get some aggro before using any aoe.
4. Try not to run to the other side unless really really nessessary, otherwise you'll spend most of the fight running in slow mo after being hit by a frostbolt and very little time killing things.
5. Watch your positioning near the 'Patchwerk' mobs, their frontal cone aoe is nastier than you'd think.
QFT.

My 2cents:
- We need more interrupts on Frost volleys to improve mobility and also limit the overall raid damage. There were zero Counterspells yesterday (3 mages in the raid) :( I think archmages can be stunned as well. Perhaps assign 2 melee interrupters on each side if possible.
- Finish off the mobs which are low on health (do press that V key :) ), sometimes Gluttonous Abominations (those Patchwerk-like mobs) were up for too long with various fractions of HP bar. This should free up tanks to pick the mobs as they come and prevent healers getting aggro and killed.
Giruy

Post by Giruy »

Tanks:

Positioning needs to remain static at the piller as much as possible, this allows melee dps greater uptime, taunt the mobs that can be taunted to you.

Melee:

Dont go chasing mobs on the other side of the room and stay close to your tank as much as possible. Move if your tank has picked up a zombie and its about to die.

Ranged:

Position yourself off to the side nearer the middle to pick up any mobs the off tank has picked up (hopefully just the zombies), if possible counter spell the mages (this isnt as easy as it sounds due to the number of mobs needing nuked, it also has a 26 second cooldown).

The key to this fight is swift targeted dps on each of the mobs as they appear, the quicker a mob goes down the less chance they have of creating raid damage which negates healing the boss.

Has it been established whether melee interupts work on the mages?
Karast

Post by Karast »

Giruy wrote:Has it been established whether melee interupts work on the mages?
it sure do, I'm using my interrupts on them and they are doing the job (sadly the cooldown for those is just too long).
Giruy

Post by Giruy »

Ok, priority for interupt builds it is then, both warriors and rogues should have these builds if possible, it doesnt gimp dps too much but the raid healing it prevents is enormous.
Fagan

Post by Fagan »

Just a couple of points G:
Giruy wrote:Ok, priority for interupt builds it is then, both warriors and rogues should have these builds if possible, it doesnt gimp dps too much but the raid healing it prevents is enormous.
Rogues haven't needed to 'spec' for interupts since Ulduar (and can't now as the ability to make our aoe interupt was removed), and even without specing we have always had kick. ;) (Not sure about warriors) Also in a movement intensive fight like this, ranged interupts are going to be much more useful. If mages are no longer kiting the zombies, might be an idea for them to focus on the archmages and interupt when possible instead. :D
Giruy wrote:Tanks:

Positioning needs to remain static at the piller as much as possible, this allows melee dps greater uptime, taunt the mobs that can be taunted to you.

Melee:

Dont go chasing mobs on the other side of the room and stay close to your tank as much as possible. Move if your tank has picked up a zombie and its about to die..
The priority kill list for melee is:

Suppressors (Not tanked)
Blazing Skeletons (Not tanked)
Archmages (Not tanked)
Patch mobs (Tanked)

So unless I'm missing something, it would be better for the tanks not to be with the melee if they are going start to tank the Zombies. Tanks being near melee isn't going to improve uptime of dps as the mobs we need to kill will still be all over the place (generally, except the suppressors ofc). :)
'Certainty of death. Small chance of success. What are we waiting for?'