Post by Gladion »

Code: Select all

Interrupts on Dreamwalker
Unit  	               Amount  	      %
Kharybdis 	              10 	     21.7 %
Gladion 	                10 	     21.7 %
Nomadx 	                 9 	      19.6 %
Vitki 	                  8 	      17.4 %
Nice to see that other ppl than Khary and me interrupted also, but we really need to shape up.. I think we had rogue also there?
In regione caecorum rex est luscus.
Templaar
GM [Retired]

Re: Icecrown Citadel 10 - Valithria Dreamwalker

Post by Templaar »

I'm still not convinced I totally agree with that philosophy G. While the fight gets progressively harder, the healing from portal healers gets similarly greater with more and more buffs - the rate at which the boss is healed will increase proportionally. Our problem is primarily in Phase 3, which it seems to me is about the outside just keeping control long enough for portal healers to get the job done.

The "more healers=faster boss is healed" argument is an oversimplification for two reasons (1) an extra healer in the portal will mean the portal healers take longer to gather stacks and will end up fighting for orbs, so you may have more healers overally but they won't be doing the same output as they normally would, (2) raid healers outside are healing the raid not the boss - a raid healer would do negligible boss healing without stacks and will go oom very fast and be useless.

I would agree that a fourth raid healer for the raid may help with control so long as the cut in dps doesn't substantially affect the time taken to get the adds down (which it has done in the past). Personally, I feel this is more an issue with Easy's perennial problem of getting control of these final phases - same with professor - we don't get as much experience with the end of the fights as the beginnings, they require careful coordination and focus, and even the best of us have the tendency to flap when the pressure is on.
Giruy

Post by Giruy »

Gladion wrote:

Nice to see that other ppl than Khary and me interrupted also, but we really need to shape up.. I think we had rogue also there?
My bad on that, turns out my stopcasting counterspell macro doesnt work as intended, I've since changed it to the following:

#showtooltip Counterspell
/stopcasting
/cast [modifier:shift, target=focus] Counterspell
/cast [nomodifier:shift] Counterspell
Maths problem of the day:
If George is 73 and his girlfriend is 26,
How much money does George have?
Korchinks

Post by Korchinks »

Tank spot suggests 7 healers for this fight (although they did it with 6) - I guess 3 paladins for the portals and 4 raid healers?

Would 2x spriests and 6 healers suffice, assuming ofc that adds stay up long enough for their passive healing to gain momentum?

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one
Giruy

Post by Giruy »

Templaar wrote:I'm still not convinced I totally agree with that philosophy G. While the fight gets progressively harder, the healing from portal healers gets similarly greater with more and more buffs - the rate at which the boss is healed will increase proportionally. Our problem is primarily in Phase 3, which it seems to me is about the outside just keeping control long enough for portal healers to get the job done.

The "more healers=faster boss is healed" argument is an oversimplification for two reasons (1) an extra healer in the portal will mean the portal healers take longer to gather stacks and will end up fighting for orbs, so you may have more healers overally but they won't be doing the same output as they normally would, (2) raid healers outside are healing the raid not the boss - a raid healer would do negligible boss healing without stacks and will go oom very fast and be useless.

I would agree that a fourth raid healer for the raid may help with control so long as the cut in dps doesn't substantially affect the time taken to get the adds down (which it has done in the past). Personally, I feel this is more an issue with Easy's perennial problem of getting control of these final phases - same with professor - we don't get as much experience with the end of the fights as the beginnings, they require careful coordination and focus, and even the best of us have the tendency to flap when the pressure is on.
Tip from Tankspot:

1) Split your raid into an even 2 groups with even amount of range/melee dps. Ditch the third tank they are wasting a raid spot. Have a group on either side, but the trick is to have range swap sides IF the adds only spawn on one side, we've seen this happen for quuite some time.

2) Never DPS. If you want to easymode lols hax this fight, grab 8 or 9 healers. Have a priest cover each side with someone else as backup.

When the portals spawn have EVERY healer except the 2x Priests covering the sides go into the portals, this is when they will want to use GS or call for tank CD's. Wait for 3 or 4 portal rounds for stacks to get high, then GS + Lust for easy win

The biggest tip you can get though, is never send a priest into portals unless your raid is priest heavy. Druids/Paladins/Shaman can all do similar HPS on this and whoever wins will be whoever has the most stacks. Priests on the other hand fail at it and should be used outside only.

Another Tip:

We also popped hero at VDW being 80%, placed a GS and bombed away. For anyone else out there planning to use hero/lust once your healers get a bunch of stacks, make sure you dont get greedy and stay out too long. Rereshing those stacks is still way more important than usung the full hero and letting them fall off.

Just to give some perspective, Tankspot took 6 healers to this encounter and actually state in the tactics that this took a bit of time to master, i'm not saying our healers arent good, but if a top end guild said 6 healers is a push, our attempts with 5 main and an offspec leads me to think that we could optimise a little more.
Maths problem of the day:
If George is 73 and his girlfriend is 26,
How much money does George have?
Erian
Raid Leader

Post by Erian »

Giruy wrote:The biggest tip you can get though, is never send a priest into portals unless your raid is priest heavy. Druids/Paladins/Shaman can all do similar HPS on this and whoever wins will be whoever has the most stacks. Priests on the other hand fail at it and should be used outside only.
Holy priests do the worst healing (bottom of 5 H classes, and often way bottom) in 10/12 ICC fights, and are next-to-bottom for the other 2 fights, including this one.

http://www.stratfu.com/kamigami/N_Valit ... alker.html

The moral is, bench all your Hpriests. Guardian Spirit at this boss is the only possible reason you would ever want to take a Hpriest into ICC.

(A lot of hpriests are ofc pretty pissed off by this. You can find lots of long threads on wowforums from very unhappy ppl saying same, and asking how hpriest throughput corresponds to Blizz's description of hpriests as "masters of healing" when we get roflstomped by every other H class.)
Start every day off with a smile and get it over with.
Karast

Post by Karast »

Giruy wrote:Never DPS. If you want to easymode lols hax this fight, grab 8 or 9 healers. Have a priest cover each side with someone else as backup.

When the portals spawn have EVERY healer except the 2x Priests covering the sides go into the portals, this is when they will want to use GS or call for tank CD's. Wait for 3 or 4 portal rounds for stacks to get high, then GS + Lust for easy win
wow, that's really is an interesting concept (though I'm not entirely sure it will work).
The fight gets really nasty after the 75% mark.
in theory, we can switch the "Never DPS" into "Never heal" as in, don't heal the boss until the healers got enough stacks, then go mad on the boss, at the 80% mark pop heroism and all cooldown and get the job done.
This is theory at least can help us control the fight until the healers got enough stacks on them. The thing is, I'm not so sure about the influence of time in this fight; it is possible that it gets harder not only acording to the boss's health but also with passing time. Still somthing that is worth trying.
Paspartu

Post by Paspartu »

Glad where is this info, cant find it in the combatlog.. this is just out of personal curiosity, since me and Nomad had the same spec on that fight and apparently I had 0 interrupts...
Gladion

Post by Gladion »

Paspartu wrote: Glad where is this info, cant find it in the combatlog.. this is just out of personal curiosity, since me and Nomad had the same spec on that fight and apparently I had 0 interrupts...
http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/wr9k ... boss=36789 -> interrupts (same box as with dispels)
In regione caecorum rex est luscus.
Paspartu

Post by Paspartu »

Pfft... Thx Glad