Icecrown Citadel 10 - Valithria Dreamwalker

Pre-Cataclysm raids.
Kharybdis

Re: Icecrown Citadel 10 - Valithria Dreamwalker

Post by Kharybdis »

Gladion wrote:I'm really starting to hate this fight.. Without aoe-abilities, supressors are usually down when I get first two attacks in. Archmages and skellies are only adds to who I actually do any damage. I ended up healing that dragon most of time last night with imba enha-powers.. =(
This fight is ALL about the healers :) We're there just to make their job easier (for a change ;) )

Our virtues and our failings are inseparable, like force and matter. When they separate, man is no more.

Prepare for the worst and dare the universe to disappoint you
Templaar
GM [Retired]

Post by Templaar »

From a healers perspective, our job is pretty much doable with the setup we had last night - though I would say no more than 3 healers in the portals at any one time as we were having to fight for orbs - saying "you should all stay close together" is fine, but almost impossible in practice when you're swimming in a 3D environment projected onto a 2D plane trying to fly after green footballs that do their best to float away from you.
Korchinks

Post by Korchinks »

Take more frog pills - that should enhance that experience :lol:

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one
Templaar
GM [Retired]

Post by Templaar »

Korchinks wrote:Take more frog pills - that should enhance that experience :lol:
Taking the pills usually results in that kind of experience :shock:
Karast

Post by Karast »

Last night we tried this fight with a decent composition that included 3 tanks and 6 healers (we had 3 Paly tanks and 2 Paly healers....paly ftw!) and got her to 96%.
From the logs of yesterday's run it seems that we are underestimating the risen arch-mages; they are the #1 damage dealers in the fight. now, this is quite possible that its like this because we are able to control the other types of adds well enough, but the fact that the spell they use - Frostbolt Volley - is doing us almost 50% more overall raid damage (cumulative over the coarse of the raid) then the Lay waste spell.
Remember that when the raid is effected by the frostbolt debuff they are slowed down and are more likely to fail to control other types of adds (especially Blazing Skeleton that require fast reaction).
I think that we need to make sure that the volley is never launched; its not hard to ensure that.
We should designate 1 melee on each side with good interrupting abilities (rogue, DK etc) that will prioritize arch-mages above all other things (including Blazing Skeleton). These players will be responsible to make sure they never launch volleys at the raid.
If we can reduce the ~1.2M damage (!) that we suffered from that alone, we should be able to rescue the DW.

Another thing that I've noticed is that we are getting hit way too many times from the Zombies explosion - give the floating tank time to get it away from the raid and if one is near you, keep your distance.

Another option worth trying is going with 2 tanks and 7-8 healers; I know that we had problems when trying 2 tanks yesterday but I'm seeing increased number of posts on that tactic.
Bagheeris

Post by Bagheeris »

Karast wrote:but the fact that the spell they use - Frostbolt Volley - is doing us almost 50% more overall raid damage (cumulative over the coarse of the raid) then the Lay waste spell.
:?: :?
Frostbolt Volley 6.384 M damage done
http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/wr9k ... boss=36789

Lay Waste 6.704 M damage done
http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/wr9k ... boss=36789

Healers could / should correct me, but i would expect that Frostbolt Volley is much easier to heal through. It's just one 3k hit on everyone. I agree that slowing debuff is a pain. Lay Waste is 4-5k tick each 2secs. If allowed to be channeled for full 12secs duration, people start dieing.
Karast

Post by Karast »

I was looking at our best attempt - the one we got her to 96% and not over the whole attempts (we had some really...really...bad attempts).
There its Frostbolt Volley = 1,272,109 vs. Lay Waste = 947,992 (we controlled the skelys much better).
Templaar
GM [Retired]

Post by Templaar »

Last night was probably the best attempt I've seen from a portal perspective - we were all getting consistently high stacks, doing pretty good healing (remember any non-pally healer will look like a slacker due to Beacon doubling our (already hefty) output and half of it is pure overheal), and even grouping up inside and sharing buffs. I have two points which may be relevant
  1. It's important for portal healers to remove the frostbolt snare ASAP, as the slow can cause stacks to drop due to being too slow getting to portal/orbs/etc
  2. Heroism - we're popping it at roughly the right time (3m health left) though I think portal healers seem to miss/waste it more often than not. We should try coordinate this so we use it when healers emerge from a portal phase so we can squeeze an extra few % healing in.
Korchinks

Post by Korchinks »

is 3x pally healers optimal for this duty?

I agree with Temp about maximising the heals by popping heroism as close to when healers come out of portals - would probably be best for one of the H on that duty to call for it on that basis.

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one
Giruy

Post by Giruy »

I may be wrong but I always get the feeling that we're running 1 healer light every time on this fight.

This fight gets exponentially harder as time progresses and to the point that tanks and dps just get totally over run.

Now, in theory, the more healers you have, the quicker the boss gets healed, the quicker the boss gets healed the less likely we are to get over run.

I offered to bring Healander after a few tries, I’m not saying it would have made a huge difference but I would at least liked to have attempted this fight with 7 healers, this could be a 50/50 split of raid/boss healing or an out and out extra raid healer to help keep everyone up during the final frenetic phases.

n.b. considering that a lot of early tactics advocated 8 healers, Easy always seems to find the most difficult way to win an encounter and stick with it.
Maths problem of the day:
If George is 73 and his girlfriend is 26,
How much money does George have?