Icecrown Citadel 11 - Sindragosa

Pre-Cataclysm raids.
Emesis

Re: Icecrown Citadel 11 - Sindragosa

Post by Emesis »

Regarding unchained magic (Since I've done this a few times).

If the dps get it, they dont dps at all. If the healers get it they go oor left or right and manage their stacks in a reasonable fashion.

This is the safest way, we could also assign places for dps to run oor to get rid of their stacks. But as said before, this is all about control and no dps-race.

Also, not hiding properly behind ice blocks during air-phase is certain death.
Templaar
GM [Retired]

Post by Templaar »

Some stray thoughts on HM:
  • In P3 having 1 healer tombed and the other with UM is pretty common - that leaves only 1H frantically trying to keep the tank alive who doesn't have time to deal with raid damage and people not watching their Instability. When that happens, don't expect much (if any) healing until another H is free from tomb/stacks.
  • Dropping instability stacks before the pull is critical - if your timers are off, just make sure you've stopped casting well in advance of the CD being up (10sec if you have to).
  • In P3 we get tombs AND UM. We assign spots for UM in P1. We assign spots for tombs in P3. We should probably also have spots for UM in P3 which are out of range of people at the tombs as we use similar "left" and "right" spots for both.
  • 2 DPS on boss is nowhere near enough in P3, this probably needs to be more like 3.5. It's also affected if we have a lot of melee as there is DPS time lost running.
    One thought is to (a) not drop stacks every time (not really necessary) and drop on every other tomb, (b) have melee drop stacks behind left tomb and ranged behind right, (c) then have whoever's hiding to drop stacks responsible for killing the tomb they're hiding behind. That way 1-2 melee DPS aren't wasted for the whole of P3 running back and forth between tombs and never DPSing boss, and the "dead time" of DPS waiting for stacks to drop is used by them DPSing down the tomb (just like P1-2), and there are constantly at least 2DPS on boss.
  • Have we had any tries with 1-2pc of frost res gear?
Luxaflex

Post by Luxaflex »

Few forums mention in 10 men, the Unchained Magic is always placed on 1 healer and 1 ranged dps. Bringing i.e. all ranged dps will not prevent a healer being locked out. It also means there will always be a healer with UM in P3, something we were hoping to possibly avoid with bringing more ranged. Not true then.
Fungi

Post by Fungi »

The problem is that I think we're doing the encounter as we should, however, we always have 1 person make a mistake at one time. This is a different person every time. Sometimes the mistake happens after 1 frosttomb, sometimes it happens after 6 frosttombs, sometimes it happens after 9 frosttombs. Till the mistake happens, the fight seems controlled and everything is fine, after the mistake it's chaos and a wipe. I know we're able to execute p3 flawless, cause we probably do 4 out of 5 times, but we just don't seem to be able to do it for 4-5 minutes straight with all 10 people. There will always be 1 error by someone in the raid which causes us to die in a horrible fire... eh... frost.

If we lose 1 dps during the fight, we lose dps on Sindragosa, since we need to spend more time on the tombs. If we lose a tank or healer, we're screwed anyway. I know that on the tries I lived longer than the average groupmember, I spend basicly all my time dpsíng down tombs and not doing any damage to Sindragosa. I know it doesn't help we had 2 magic dps, since if one of us dies, the other one will have Unchained Magic every damn time. If you bring 1 magic dps, he'll have Unchained Magic every time.

A.
If you want to be or have more than average, you need to work/learn/invest more than average!
Awesomeness, it can't be taught !
"Where the brave may live forever" - V.
Caireann

Post by Caireann »

The thing with bringing more magic ranged dps is purely a dps upgrade, since melee always have the Chilled to the Bone debuff every swing, and Unchained Magic is placed always on one healer and one dps. Therefore, if a team would consist of 2 T 3H and 5 casters, we'd have only 2 debuffs at a time, so 4 other casters could dps their asses off ;) Enrage would not be an issue there.

Still, it's a bit not fair that this fight favours casters so much. On the other hand, just as Fungi says, we can do it - it's just those errors we make under the Panic Aura. And any error on this fight results in a complete chaos and recovery is hard.
Copperknot

Post by Copperknot »

At risk of repeating myself for the millionth time......

P2 REMAIN CALM DO NOT PANIC

You all know ya jobs .... Do them! Stay focused, watch debuffs timers and DBM warnings

...... Collect lootz :)
Sarri

Post by Sarri »

Actually Chilled to the Bone doesnt come on every swing, its a rng thing as far as I can tell. Its triggered by Permeating Chill and if you follow that link you will see it has a 20% proc chance. From watching my stacks I know I can go for long periods sometimes without getting a debuff at all, and sometimes I escalate off every attack.

The problem for me on Sarri is more related to paladin dps mechanics than chilled issues. With all the stop-starting that this fight requires, my Seal of Vengeance stacks fall off often... Since I'm not doing max dps until I hit 5 stacks (and it takes me 13 odd secs to reach 5 on average) this is a mega issue in dps loss. The last time I was there on Sarri, I was experimenting with a different seal and having some success in better dps and dmg done, altho I suspect that out of the toons I have geared for this fight, Elu would probably perform better, just purely based on class mechanics...

Anyway, my main reason for this comment is in the first paragraph, that we dont get chilled on every melee swing or special attack...
Copperknot

Post by Copperknot »

We usually tank her in the middle of the platform (in the centre of the circular pattern on the floor), parallel to the stairs. We then have two spots for Ice Tombs - one to the left and one to the right, both about 15 yards in a diagonal line from the melee pile.

On 10-man we assign one DPS to taking down tombs and everyone else leaves them alone (as in don't even autoswing) - having it assigned to a specific person means you shouldn't get too many surprises where tombs die before everyone's stacks are cleared etc.

We then assign a "left tank" and a "right tank". We start the phase with Sindy facing right as you look from the stairs and we drop the first tomb to the left. All the DPS, the left tank and two healers clear their stacks (it's important to do this even on the very first tomb). While clearing the stacks, one person will get the beacon so will run over to the spot for the right tomb.

Once his stacks are cleared, the left tank will run to her tail and taunt, causing her to turn 180 degrees. The right tank and remaining healer will then clear their stacks behind the right tomb. The right tank then taunts from her tail so she spins 180 degrees again to face to the right once more. Organising the taunts in this manner ensures that your tanks minimise the travel time to a tomb, which helps keep stacks low and also gives a clear visual indication to the healers of who is going to be taking damage from the next breath etc.

Of course, the healing pattern can often be disrupted by them being tombed or having Unchained so it's incredibly important to have Vent clear during phase 3 and for your healers to constantly communicate. This fight is often lost or won on the healers' ability to adapt to the situation quickly - if your right healer has unchained while the two left healers are clearing stacks, one must immediately come out and take over healing duty. Assign which of the left healers will come out if the right healer get Unchained before the pull so that you don't get both healers running out and not clearing their stacks or hesitating and leaving the tanks unhealed. Try to have a plan for every eventuality with the healers assigned in advance to reduce the amount of hesitation and uncertainty from these events happening.

Aside from healer co-ordination, the only other thing you should hear on Vent are the tanks counting down "3, 2, 1 taunt" each time they switch - this helps the healers to know when they will need to change targets but also lets the other tank know that he needn't use a cooldown for the next breath because he won't end up taking it, for example.
Ferralfurry

Post by Ferralfurry »

Sarri wrote: Elu would probably perform better, just purely based on class mechanics...
Not entirely true, ferals have a very fast atackspeed compared to paladins, let's say your paladin does one normal melee swing every 3sec (armoried ur atackspeed :D) and ur kitty does one every 1sec. this basicly means that in a 3sec timeframe your paladin has 20% chance to get the swing, whilst ur feral would have 20% chance on 3hits, so it's more likely to get a debuff. Ontop of that the stacking method of your seal is very similar to how clearcasting works: it only can proc of auto melee attacks, meaning the mechanic on it's own works the same way for both classes.
If you combine these 2facts you can clearly notice that feral dps has a greater disadvantage due to atackspeed.

Kind greetings, Fuzzy

P.S. : Jumping seems to delay atackspeed a bit (this counts for all melee) I don't have any logs to support this :'( but maybe you can try jumping, I felt that whilst jumping I got less debuffs.
Luxaflex

Post by Luxaflex »

FINALLY down!

Netx to some rng, i.o.w., no chain tombed healers, what helped was nuking healers that are tombed asap, adding a powerful hot class and VENT COMMUNICATION. Once you fall into the rhythm of dropping stacks - activity - dropping stacks etc - no one blows up the raid or dies stupidly, it felt actually pretty easy. Thanks to those who stepped out - you'll get your drakes soon enough.

As for vent - please set up your mic to work, ask someone to join vent if you wanna test. Sindra hc but even more Putri hc needs clear communication with preferable everyone able to speak.