Icecrown Citadel 12 - Lich King

Pre-Cataclysm raids.
Lawrie

Re: Icecrown Citadel 12 - Lich King

Post by Lawrie »

I liked the positioning which was pointed out by zuzza in p1, less walking to transition spot, so less error for looosing a tank on that!
Garfunkle

Post by Garfunkle »

I'll agree with Lawrie on this one. Whilst technically there was nothing wrong with the way we were doing it before, shifting it around so MT is nearer the edge with LK and there is less movement overall for the transition makes things a little easier.

...now if we could just sort out those Valkyr. :P
Garfunkle has been slain by a Chubby Purple Unicorn.
Gladion

Post by Gladion »

Garfunkle wrote: ...now if we could just sort out those Valkyr. :P
All mages spec frost! Nah, but fact is that we need all slows and stuns to those we just can get..
In regione caecorum rex est luscus.
Vitki

Post by Vitki »

Gladion wrote:All mages spec frost!
I was going to put some points there but went for:

Slow

since it only took 1 point. :)
Caireann

Post by Caireann »

When it comes to Valkyrs it's the speed we switch on to them that is significant. As I remember, it was possible to target them a second before they choose a player. And it's a bit hard to target her manually when she's hovering above.

It would be great if all dps made a macro for targeting the Valkyr - it makes it much more easier when switching. I know that TAB works as well, but macro will target her even if you're turned with your back to her. And Tab in such situations is less reliable.

This is what I have always prepared for this fight:

Code: Select all

/tar Val'kyr S
S is enough, that it won't choose some caster's Valkyr from the staff ;)
Liria

Post by Liria »

Good advice Cair - for a 10man
In 25 it's more tricky, since (at least last time) people were assigned to a specific Valkyr, and there are 3 of them. Targetting the nearest wouldn't work here :(
Caireann

Post by Caireann »

Oh God, I forgot that on 25man there were three of them *blush* Please, forget what I've said.
Marcuscole

Post by Marcuscole »

ICC buff increased to 20% -- this should help getting those Spirits and Val'kyrs down faster. I just hope the extra 5% doesn't yet trivialize the fight :)

Source: http://www.mmo-champion.com/news-2/icec ... sed-to-20/
Wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair and all the terrible things that happen to us, come because we actually deserve them? So now I take comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the Universe
Biggusearus

Post by Biggusearus »

A couple of Macro's I've been using that may help out.

This one is for the Hunters Tranq shot...

#showtooltip
/cast [@mouseover] tranquilizing shot

I have it bound to a numbered key. Press that, move mouse over the target and it is Tranq'd.

I also use ...

/cleartarget
/tar Val'kyr Shadowguard
/tar [noexists][dead] Raging Spirit
/tar [noexists][dead] The Lich King

This targets the Val'kyr immediately, when down it will target the Spirit or Lichy.

Hope they help a bit.

Cheers
Biggus.
Templaar
GM [Retired]

Post by Templaar »

Ferralfurry wrote:For Lich King I'll write out the tactics (the ones I'm used to atleast) since the devil's in the details and it's hard to explain everything on the spot.

There basicly are 3fases and 2transitions, the hard fases are fase 2 and trans 2:

Fase 1:
Ends at 70%, hard parts are the adds and Necrotic Plague. You want the adds to be on the OT the Shambling Horrors in particular, the small adds don't matter to much since they'll die from AOE. The Shamblers are the big damage dealers, especially when they enrage. At start it isn't to important since the buff+a slow swingtimer are merely bursts and healable but the moment 2of them are enraged it's game over. Hunters should use a macro to dispell /cast [@shambling horror] tranquilizing shot (only works when there's only one up) For Necrotic Plague it's important to move to the adds but not infront of them.In this fase it's important to be near the ledge when needed so the dmg is minimised when transition comes.

Transition 1:
There will still be some adds up. These should either die from Necrotic Plague or random AOE from the melees. The most important things are to spread from north to south inorder to minimise damage from the aoe hitting. Some guilds like to turn the raging spirits towards the LK so melee can spread out aswell, this helps but isn't needed. Raging spirits need to die asap (this is another place where the hunter macro comes in handy since they can just focus the ragings and hit the macro when needed. At the end of this fase it's possible that there's still an add up, all ranged needs to focus on this one and melee sticks on the LK (if melee is good at watching timers they can stay on adds and move back intime to stack for valks though I advise against this when learning the fight). Make sure to not get hit by the orbs since this is an unressable death. Hunters should rotate md's on Raging spirits inorder to help the tank out (this is more needed in the 2nd transition fase)

Fase 2:
Ends at 40%
Defile+Valks. Basicly the mechanics are the opisit of eachother, one requires you to stack and the other requires you to spread.
The reason for stacking on the valks is so that they all travel in the same direction and that they also stay stacked so cleaves do more dmg. How this works isn't complicated, the valks go the nearest edge (if positioned correctly this is the West edge) if everyone is stacked up, the valks are ontop of eachother or atleast at the start they are.
Defile is a bit more complicated since you need to position the "voidzone" so it doesn't interfere with valks, tank position and later defiles. Inorder to accomplish this there's 2major issues, first is do not get them in the center (valk problem) and second is do not get them south (tank problem). If the first defile happens to be south by mistake it's no big deal since it'll vanish by the time tanking becomes important. But it will complicate the fight. Wait for valks, drag the LK along with them and position yourself near the edge so you can move fast when u actually push for T2, then push to T2
Transition 2:
There will spawn 4 Raging Spirits, and due to the time window it's impossible to "clear" the room of ragings, heroism comes in here to kill the adds asap. When fase 3starts there should only be one raging spirit up. The positioning of the raging spirit is at the other side of LK (N vs S) inorder to not get problems with Vile Spirits. Depending on how good the dps is the main tank picks up the first two or only the second add. When the second add spawns blow heroism. Normally the MD's are only needed for the 2nd, 3rd and 4th raging spirit with tha latter being most important.

Fase 3:
At this time there's either one or two raging spirits up. Normally the Lichking will be tanked near the throne (at the ice block) and the raging spirits are either at the teleporter or at the LK. The difference is minor but noticable. You want the ranged to be at the teleporter since if the LK summons his spirits they'll spwn where the LK is, they'll then descend and fly towards random ppl who got agro. If the Raging's are being tanked at the teleporter it means that the spirits will 100% go there, making it easy to aoe them down (with a Spriest+locks/moonkin). If you tank the Ragings at the LK you get the advantage that they die faster but that you also loose dpstime when melee needs to move when the Vile Spirits come.
During this fase it's important to keep the middle area clear, this means that defiles will now need to be ran E-W instead of N-S, this sounds complicated but actually feels pretty natural once you do it. The middle area needs to be clear since the LK will be swapped from throne to teleporter and ranged needs to be at the opposite side, normally the OT now is free to stand in the middle and try to "soak" as many Vile Spirits as possible whilst the previously mentioned ranged kill the spirits (Spriest and so on).
Another major even is Harvest Soul, the target will be dragged into another room where he needs to either heal the friendly target (as healer) or kill the Foe (dps).
This fase needs some getting used to but is actually pretty easy once everyone gets what needs to be done.

So in short here are the major hurdles:
F1= Enraged adds
T1= Raging Spirits
F2= Defile + Valks
T2= Raging Spirits
F3= Defile + Vile Spirits

Tricks to move fast from Defile!
The best trick is Focus Target, set it to the Lich King so you can see who's the target of the Defile BEFORE it lands
Movement: normally in raid everyone has either a movement speed talent or uses the boot enchant: cat's swiftness/tuskarr's vitality/nitro boost. These things shine on fights like this.

Skills:
Mages watch where you want to go and blink, there's no excuse for a mage to miss a Defile since it only has a 15sec CD
Locks if you have time pop ur teleport at the side of the teleporter, and make sure it's looking N (away from the throne)
Hunters turn your character so you look at the throne and use disengage be fast with your mouse so you turn 180° mid air and can run on
Rogues sprint away and cos at the right time
Druids catform+dash (works wonders if you got focus set, otherwise it won't help alot)