Shadowmourne infusion quest line

Pre-Cataclysm raids.
Sarri

Shadowmourne infusion quest line

Post by Sarri »

Thanks everyone for the opportunity to try it out tonight :D Luckily I didnt embarass myself too badly :lol: But ofc, Im not the only one on the quest line, and more people will probably be asking to do this, so this topic is kind of a heads up for everyone, on what is required for each quest.

The first one, the one I completed tonight, is called Unholy Infusion. As you all saw, it doesnt require much from the raid as a whole, except the loss of one dps for P1 and P2.

The next one, Blood Infusion is way harder, and requires special notice from the entire raid. Pasting below some wowhead comments on this...
1) Run in with your tank and get the blood mirror debuff. Have the tank use his shield wall ability while you get guardian spirit/pain suppression/etc. Use your own cooldowns on yourself too - I used icebound fortitude and had my bone shield up, so I didn't drop very low. You only need blood mirror for a second or two. Then back out and let the OT take blood mirror.

2) You now have gushing wound, a debuff that ticks for roughly 1500 damage every second. Make sure your healers know this.

3) If you aren't bitten first, make sure whoever is bites you first. Then you bite three more people during the fight. As you bite your first and second person, gushing wound increases to 3000 damage per second and then 4500 damage per second. When you bite the third person, the debuff is removed, but you are still on the quest and all is still good - you just have no indication of this.

4) Stay alive, kill Blood Queen, turn in quest.
To be more specific, once you got blood mirror (doesn't matter for how long, you can just run in and have it for a second and that's enough, just don't die) you will get a debuff called gushing wound. Whenever you bite someone as a vampire, you will get an additional stack of this debuff, when you reach 3 stacks (so after you have bitten twice), the next bite will give you the infusion (unlike the other infusion quests, there is no actual Buff for this).

So, during the encounter some guy will get the first bite and after a minute he can bite somebody else (and they both have it) so it goes from 1 guy to 2 people -> 4 -> 8 -> 16 and then you need to kill her or you're going to wipe since you have only 25 people who can get it and you would also hit the enrage otherwise.

Recap: To get this quest done you must be hit by blood mirror (stand on the tank until you have it) and be the first person who gets bitten by whoever gets the first bite from the queen. You must then bite 3 times and afterwards kill her.

A couple small things: You only need the gushing wound before you bite someone for the first time, so you don't have to get it right away. if you die before you've been bitten, you can recover by getting resurrected in time. If you die at any other point, you failed the quest.
Please post any questions/discussion points in this thread. :mrgreen:
Sarri

Re: Shadowmourne infusion quest line

Post by Sarri »

Sooo, quest number 3 looms :)

This one is called Frost Infusion and basically it means I need to eat 4 of Sindi's breaths, each one applying a stacking debuff (taking more damage ofc!) until I get all 4, then kill her within 6 min of getting the fourth.

So the first thought is to equip the 3 Frost resist armour pieces, and use frost aura. This amounts to 415 Frost resist, which should mitigate much damage. From the Wowhead comments:
At 415, you have very slightly under 12.5% chance to resist 30% of the damage, 37.5% to resist 40% and 50% damage, and 12.5% chance of resisting 60% damage.
I'm in 2 minds about whether to try this in holy or ret spec. If I go holy, it gives me aura mastery to use as an extra mitigation CD (and I can probably heal myself through it, I hope) as I would be pretty useless otherwise...

Anyway, at about 75% I would take the first breath, basically standing out of cleave range but in front of her. This continues till I have the required 4, by then she should be around 30% and we hit phase 2 which is doable in 6 min if we get it right. :)

I would probably need an odd HoT or 2, esp if I get tombed at any point, but if I am holy I should, in theory, be able to heal and protect myself with FR pots, Hand of salvation, and hand of protection, plus possibly 1 guardian spirit and maybe some disco bubbles occasionally for good measure :D Just NO divine shield! :lol:

Just as a note... I really dislike the fact that I am pretty much useless to the raid while attempting this... I know we dont quite have Sindi on farm just yet and everyone is valuable in the fight. I appreciate all the opportunities for trying out these quests that the guild has afforded me, and I will be happy when this is over... its stressful to say the least :oops:
Sarri

Post by Sarri »

Please post your thoughts on this in here, had a long chat in /g with Flexie and Aicha about the loss of my ret raid buffs if I go as holy, and I would like to know what everyone feels about it... I cannot do any of this alone and I want people to be involved in making it happen, not only for me, but for the others on the questline too.

Thanks =)
Fungi

Post by Fungi »

My personal thought on this is that the raid comes before 1 player. Since Sindra is far from farm (on the contrary, she blocks us on a weekly basis), I feel you should refrain from trying to get your questline done till we have her on farm.

A.
If you want to be or have more than average, you need to work/learn/invest more than average!
Awesomeness, it can't be taught !
"Where the brave may live forever" - V.
Vitki

Post by Vitki »

I agree that she continues to cause us problems, but frankly I think a lot of these are caused by ppl making silly mistakes. This is evidenced by the fact that we get to P2 on only a small number of tries.

There is no reason why we can't at least get to P2 with all alive on every attempt. If we can come close to achieving this I see no reason why you can't get your quest done. (Assuming you're up to it :lol: )

With the 20% buff, dps should not be a problem: raid survival in P2 is more what we struggle with.

So I would advocate you go H but as an extra H focussing on keeping yourself alive so that the normal complement of raid healers aren't put on any extra undue strain. (Lets face it healing a raid group full of ppl mostly ignoring their de-buffs is hard enough :lol: )
Gladion

Post by Gladion »

Vitki wrote:I agree that she continues to cause us problems, but frankly I think a lot of these are caused by ppl making silly mistakes.
I agree there. And loosing one dps there won't make difference. Ppl who die to pulls, icetomb middle of raid and can't handle their debuffs will. I'm all up for letting Sarri try this. Afterall, collecting 25 saronites and doing quests that have get her to this point isn't small feat.
In regione caecorum rex est luscus.
Fagan

Post by Fagan »

/party pooper mode on.
Not sure of the specifics of the last(?) quest, but I'm assuming it involves killing LK on 25 probably with some other action taking place? Until we have at least killed him once I don't really see the point and we are a long way away from killing him yet.
Although it would be great to see a shadowmourne in the guild, it's going to be tough to achieve.
'Certainty of death. Small chance of success. What are we waiting for?'

Gladion

Post by Gladion »

Fagan wrote: Not sure of the specifics of the last(?) quest..
Yes, but next part after Frost infusion is to collect 50 shards. I don't see any harm of getting this one out of way..
In regione caecorum rex est luscus.
Sarri

Post by Sarri »

Actually, killing LK is NOT a requirement for Shadowmourne, you recieve the weapon after handing in the 50 shards. Shards are NOT a 100% drop rate, but 25% - 50% from normal 25 man bosses, and 50% to 100% from hc 25 man bosses. So it will take a fair amount of time to collect those anyway... Killing LK with a shadowmourne in the raid is something completely different.

Anyway, to rerail this thread, this is less about me, it could be Khary or Tea or anyone else who has made the investment of time, gold and effort to get through the questline. I put up this thread to encourage DISCUSSION on viable ways of acheiving said quest targets, and NOT as an "Oh I want my legendary weapon plzzz thread." Obviously as a paladin my approach to Sindi has several possible ways to accomplish compared to warriors or DKs, and the reason I am positing it now as opposed to waiting until Sindi is on farm is two-fold... reason one is the discussions elsewhere about summer raiding, and reason two, I believe I can accomplish this quest without being a significant drain on the raid as a whole (no more or less than any other raider anyway). I was asking for comments on the viability of a semi-healing approach (obviously I need to have shadows edge equipped, and FR gear on - appropriately gemmed etc for whichever spec we agree is more viable). Im wise enough to note that if it becomes clear that I am a huge drain on raid resources after a few attempts at it, I am quite happy to pass on continuing attempts in order to get her down. In all honesty tho, I dont see the point of not even trying IF the raid setup for that evening allows for it. :?:
Kharybdis

Post by Kharybdis »

I really don't see a problem with letting Sarri try a couple of times during a raid, we're usually stuck there for an hour (at least) per raid (signups permitting...). We can start with a shot at the quest first, see how it goes. The sooner she completes this part, sooner she can start grabbing those shards from bosses. It would be really a waste to not give her a chance as soon as possible, since the shards part will definitely take a while (just remember what happened with the legendary mace quest from Ulduar...)

@Fagan

Yes, the last quest is to kill the LK in 25-man mode, but you get that quest AFTER you get Shadowmourne

Our virtues and our failings are inseparable, like force and matter. When they separate, man is no more.

Prepare for the worst and dare the universe to disappoint you