[SIEGE of ORGRIMMAR] - Norushen (3)

Strategies for SoO.
Kassidy

Re: [SIEGE of ORGRIMMAR] - Norushen (3)

Post by Kassidy »

Erian wrote:I can't guarantee to kill the Greater Corruption in the test, in fact most of the time I don't seem to be able to do it. Hpriest single target healing is pretty crappy even messing about with chakra and glyphs. Solitaire also had trouble, though seems to have been better at it than me.

If we go in and don't kill the mob, (a) the mob gets released into the main room, (b) we lose the healing for a minute. So, not killing the mob is much worse than not entering at all.

I would suggest you don't send Hpriests into the test at all until we are better geared. Priority should be disc priests who can easily kill their mob. Then maybe shammy/pala. I don't know how easy monk/druid find it, but probably ok. Last night we had very close tries doing this.
Uhm, sorry to butt in on your tactics discussion but I had to reply to this one. Just a tip: Leave the big scary evil thing alone. Just do your healing and dispelling and all will be well, 3 dispells, no dead friendly mobs, no dps necessary and you're out within 3 dispells.

ETA: Healers don't generate extra ads in the main room (from my experience at least) only dps doing their thing in their little rooms do.

Hope this helps. Bon chance mes amis!
Rotkwa

Post by Rotkwa »

Soaking tactic from IV:
At the start of the fight, you should send a tank and one or more DPS players to the Test Realms. The first Unleashed Manifestation of Corruption, which will enter the Normal Realm before this tank has had a chance to return, will have to be tanked (and the resulting Residual Corruption void zone soaked) by the tank who remained in the Normal Realm. When the tank who first entered their Test Realm returns to the Normal realm, they will do so with 0 Corruption, which means that they will be able to soak the next 4 Residual Corruption void zones. In the meantime, the other tank will have to enter the Test Realm, become purified, and return to the Normal Realm.

Your raid will then continue this cycle, sending one of the two tanks to the Test Realm regularly (while sending DPS players at every opportunity). This will also allow your tanks to perform the require tank switching on the Amalgam of Corruption.
Have we tried this out?
Vrugdush
Officer

Post by Vrugdush »

It was suggested and discarded Ro.

As it is now, the big adds get stunned and rooted so much that they rarely reach the tank before they die, which makes it difficult for tanks to soak the shadow orbs fast enough. Provided the tanks can learn to more consistently survive the Test, it might be a nice raid DPS increase to have us soak more Corruption. We opted out of entering the Test more than once each last time, seeing as it wasn't really beneficial, since we didn't get to soak, and we risked dying in there. Having tanks soak more would entail people having to be more careful with stuns and roots on the Manifestations though, and possibly even killing them a bit slower. This would unfortunately mean that the raid would take slightly more damage from the live version of their AoE.

Seeing as we hit the enrage timer a few times last raid, having tanks soak more Corruption seems like an avenue worth exploring.
Erian
Raid Leader

Post by Erian »

Kassidy wrote:
Erian wrote:I can't guarantee to kill the Greater Corruption in the test, in fact most of the time I don't seem to be able to do it. Hpriest single target healing is pretty crappy even messing about with chakra and glyphs. Solitaire also had trouble, though seems to have been better at it than me.

If we go in and don't kill the mob, (a) the mob gets released into the main room, (b) we lose the healing for a minute. So, not killing the mob is much worse than not entering at all.

I would suggest you don't send Hpriests into the test at all until we are better geared. Priority should be disc priests who can easily kill their mob. Then maybe shammy/pala. I don't know how easy monk/druid find it, but probably ok. Last night we had very close tries doing this.
Uhm, sorry to butt in on your tactics discussion but I had to reply to this one. Just a tip: Leave the big scary evil thing alone. Just do your healing and dispelling and all will be well, 3 dispells, no dead friendly mobs, no dps necessary and you're out within 3 dispells.

ETA: Healers don't generate extra ads in the main room (from my experience at least) only dps doing their thing in their little rooms do.

Hope this helps. Bon chance mes amis!
Please butt out. Where did I write that I was doing any dps on the mob? By "kill the mob" I mean we leave the mob dead at the end of the test. Just a tip: please consider that I have actually thought about this over the 5 hours or so that I've spent on it.

What I wrote about releasing the mob is correct. You are wrong.
Failing to complete the Test of Reliance has the following negative effects:
Your Corruption is not cleared;
You do not gained the Purified buff to healing;
You will not be briefly immune to damage when you “respawn” into the fight; and
You release a Manifestation of Corruption that your raid must defeat.
Start every day off with a smile and get it over with.
Lithasola

Post by Lithasola »

From Icy Veins
At the start of the fight, you should send a tank and one or more DPS players to the Test Realms (depending on the raid size in which you are playing). The first Unleashed Manifestation of Corruption, which will enter the Normal Realm before this tank has had a chance to return, will have to be tanked (and the resulting Residual Corruption void zone soaked) by the tank who remained in the Normal Realm. When the tank who first entered their Test Realm returns to the Normal realm, they will do so with 0 Corruption, which means that they will be able to soak the next 4 Residual Corruption void zones. In the meantime, the other tank will have to enter the Test Realm, become purified, and return to the Normal Realm.

Your raid will then continue this cycle, sending one of the two tanks to the Test Realm regularly (while sending DPS players at every opportunity). This will also allow your tanks to perform the require tank switching on the Amalgam of Corruption.
Tanks should be soaking the corruption, that means you have to let us get the add inside melee range of the boss and to avoid soaking the corruption yourself. You are after all gimping your own dps by doing so, which means we hit enrage. I understand that the Big adds do an AoE it is 35K shadow dmg within the area around it (easily healed through or avoided) more dangerous is its melee attacks which if people move away from its landing site (denoted by a swirling streamer that flys through the air from the boss to where the adds going to pop up) and let the tanks grab it up without stunning it outside of the bosses melee range, shouldnt be a problem. If its stunned and killed outside of the bosses melee range then the tank cant go to soak as the boss will immediatley choose the closest target with high threat if he cant reach the tank. If a puddle isnt soaked immediatley it will do a raid wide AoE of 63K dmg per 3 secs so killing the add away from tanks and then not soaking it is hurting the raid badly.

The whole point of the tanks soaking as much of the puddles as possible is to keep the dps clear of corruption for as long as possible, upping the dmg done to the boss either directly or by killing the adds. if you guys are soaking the puddles your dps is being reduced and the fight is taking longer ergo enrage.

http://www.icy-veins.com/norushen-detailed-strategy-wow
Damoli

Post by Damoli »

A slight twist to the strat, which would allow us to have dps get a lot less corruption would be to have a 3rd tank which would allow for a 3-tank rotation on boss/adds/clearing corruption. I think this is one of those rare cases where you add by substracting. Having a tank soak the majority of the residues would allow a lot of dps to gain less corruption which in turn should lead to more dps going on the boss. I know we've been close to a kill but this isnt something that would require a complete do-over of tactics. With some slight tweaks it should be doable.
Rublupine

Post by Rublupine »

Hi all.

First off, a comment on last night. We had 1 very good try (10%) and one decent effort before that where we also dokes to the beserk (25%?). For my part, I'd not seen the fight before, I'd been to LFR to get a look (similar but swiches to Sha room are random which means zero planning required by LTR). Generally I found it quite a tough encounter to set up, I'm sure you noticed my uncertainty and that this led to quite a bit of the debate and which in turn led to the slowness of the second half. My apologies for that.

Side comment, I'll chat with the other RL and /O regarding how we can provide a little more continuity on a night like last night (issue was having had 2 nights of attempts and my having been absent).

To business. I like Damoli's suggestion of a third tank. Really just needs to be a player with taunt and heavy armour to survive the Mob. We'd put them into the third cleanse group.

Regarding cleanse groups. I think a tinker here too.
G1 T H 3D
G2 T H 3D
G3 T/H H 3D
G4 T 2H 3D

Possible to go 4D in G3-4..

We absolutely must pick the highest ST DPS to get cleansed first. No preference to Melee/Ranged. We would do well to make sure we even out groups 1-2 so that we're not flooded with adds too.

To me, reason we missed the 10% beserk was because of too many deaths and a small DpS gap. So other area to address is personal saves and avoiding the death beam.

Hopefully job done!
Fagan

Post by Fagan »

For tonight, same as Monday night, but no stuns/roots on big adds, let the tanks pick them up and soak corruptions, should be doable with staggered release of big mobs. Stuns saved for little adds. Tanks do full portal rotation to allow soaking.

Shouldn't need any more changes than that dps dependant.
'Certainty of death. Small chance of success. What are we waiting for?'

Giruy

Post by Giruy »

Still far too many people doing poor dps, the gulf between the top 5 to the bottom 7 or 8 is massive. This needs to be addressed.

On the last attempt last night I did 83 million damage, there are DPS players with under 30.

Even if I factor in the logs are inaccurate by lets say 10million as (damage is not recorded for anyone else while your in the bubble), that's still a huge damage loss.

Oh, and in before 'we need more gear', granted it helps but gearing isn't the issue, the 1st 4 encounters are tuned to players having 320 gear.
Maths problem of the day:
If George is 73 and his girlfriend is 26,
How much money does George have?
Kharybdis

Post by Kharybdis »

Gear is not an issue at all, I mentioned that the only way to get better gear than we currently have is to go back and do ToT HC and I doubt anyone would want that anytime soon...

Our virtues and our failings are inseparable, like force and matter. When they separate, man is no more.

Prepare for the worst and dare the universe to disappoint you