Rated Battle Grounds (Shadowlands)

A place to laugh about Thawte's lolspec...
Erian
Raid Leader

Re: Rated Battle Grounds (Shadowlands)

Post by Erian »

I have a disc priest at 60. It's not my favourite.

Does RBG really need a tank? If so I like playing bear very much but would need to level my current 50. I've also tanked on DK and DH before.

Any toon would need to be a fit with my strengths and weaknesses. Mostly weaknesses.
Start every day off with a smile and get it over with.
Amazone

Post by Amazone »

I have played tank on my druid in bg, and already plan to do so if we need one.
However leadership however decides, it has to do with which bg, and balance of the rbg group,
but my own experience is that tank is like the least desired role in rbg, it does better in arena.
Allthough guardian druid has improved in pvp, it always has been the worst spec in pvp. auch.
ImageImage
Liria

Post by Liria »

Does RBG need a tank? Depends on which battle ground we're doing. Druids are great as flag carriers, they have awesome mobility. They can probably also hold a base on their own long enough for reinforcements to reach them. I can think of a few ways tanks could be useful.
There is no real "leadership" here :) my PvP experience lies mostly in arena. There are people here who have done way more BGs than me so I'm hoping we can share some ideas and come to a conclussion on how to approach things. I mostly just wanted to know who is interested and what classes/roles we're lacking.

I definitely wouldn't want to force anyone to play anything they're not comforable with. PvP tends to be difficult enough without having to learn a whole new toon/spec.
pandademon

Post by pandademon »

I can tank if it goes ahead or I can kick ass as ww monk
Thawte

Post by Thawte »

A tank is essential in capture the flag RBGs and also valuable in Temple of Kotmogu where you score points for carrying orbs.

Holding a flag incurs a stacking debuff that increases damage taken and often flag-based games spend long periods with enemy flags held in the friendly bases by both sides but unable to score until your own flag is returned, the stacks build until they get quite dangerous to the flag carriers so they need to be tanky as hell. Being flag carriers and focus targets they also need to be mobile, so Demon Hunters are currently top followed by Guardian Druids.

On holding objective maps like Gilneas or Arathi Basin they aren't as critical and tend to get used to guard a single point close to the starting area, as they can hold longest out against an enemy attack long enough for reinforcements to arrive. They do sometimes respec to D for these maps though.

The current meta seems to be a comp of 1/3/6 T/H/D. Most desired healers I've seen are Palas and Priests (both disc and holy are good) on top, followed by Druids and Shams, Mistweaver is weakest but mobile.

Note I am new to RBGs so not exactly an authority, but this has been my experience so far.
SANITY IS FOR THE WEAK
Garfunkle

Post by Garfunkle »

From watching a fair amount of streams whilst working from home I agree with Thawte's assessment. 1/3/6 is the general composition that most of the RBG teams seem to run.

For specific roles? There's a lot of benefit in having a DK to try and grip healers out of the crowd and isolate them (had it happen enough to me in random BGs). A druid for Mark of the Wild, Priest for Fortitude, etc.

From the healer perspective, Paladins, Priests, and Shaman are the "meta". I'm happy to play any of them, although I'm definitely having a lot more fun on the Priest at the moment.

We don't want to be too melee heavy, so maybe want a 3:3 melee:ranged split.

The other caveat I'd add as a "warning". We will die. Probably a lot. We will likely lose a lot more games than we win until we start to get a better feel for the individual BGs and the strengths and weaknesses of our own team.

The important thing is though, we're doing it for fun. Rating and gear will be great. But there's no point creating another WoW "chore" for people. As Liria said, there's normally a few of us doing BGs most nights. People are more than welcome to tag along and see how you get on.
Garfunkle has been slain by a Chubby Purple Unicorn.
Erian
Raid Leader

Post by Erian »

MotW is a thing of the past alas. Have started to level bear.
Amazone

Post by Amazone »

Erian wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:10 pm MotW is a thing of the past alas. Have started to level bear.
it''s a pvp talent now using it ;) have fun with the bear it rocks, wherever you go. regardles of fact its been considered worst pvp spec since wotlk.
ImageImage
Erian
Raid Leader

Post by Erian »

Amazone wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:13 pm
Erian wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:10 pm MotW is a thing of the past alas. Have started to level bear.
it''s a pvp talent now using it ;) have fun with the bear it rocks, wherever you go. regardles of fact its been considered worst pvp spec since wotlk.
:O shows my pvp ignorance :P
Liria

Post by Liria »

Thawte wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:15 am Decent PUGs won't even look at you without >20%, so consider this when building a pvp gear set, rolling for drops or picking from your weekly vault.
I'm afraid Thawte has a point here. It would be good if we all managed to get around 20% versatility. I've been healing in BGs and arenas on my priest and I can say that it's much, much easier to keep people alive if they have vers gear on them.

So far we have mostly meele DPS on the list so if no one else joins us, we'll probably have to pug some ranged. We can't go in with an all-melee team. At this stage we need at least 2 ranged DPS and 1 healer.

Ama: does it mean you're bringing the hunter, if Erian is leveling the bear?